Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2020 5:19:21 PM EDT
Just picked it up last Monday and got a mag thru it yesterday and it got louder the last 2-3 shots. Thought it was ammo going super but not the case. Host was a Glock 19X with Rugged Obsidian 9 on a SilencerCo barrel. Ammo was factory Sig Sauer 147gr RN.

Suppressor was tight. How can the bullet yaw enough to hit the endcap but not any of the baffles?

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Rugged will take care of it. No questions asked.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you dissemble it and take a close look at all the baffles?

Also did you attach the just barrel and look through it to make sure it is not out of alignment?

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Wells that's disheartening!

Ive got a Rugged obsidian 9 in jail now. FOR my 19x with a silencerCo barrel....
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an alignment rod.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rugged will take care of it. No questions asked.
View Quote

Yep, I've been in contact with them and will have a RMA soon. I went ahead and bought another endcap and 3lug adaptor already from SS. I'm just happy it's an endcap. I don't have to send it in, but costs me 65.00.

Quoted:
Did you dissemble it and take a close look at all the baffles?
Also did you attach the just barrel and look through it to make sure it is not out of alignment?
View Quote

Yep. 100% disassemble. Nothing but the endcap. I'll have to do what you suggested when the new endcap comes in.

Quoted:
Wells that's disheartening!
I've got a Rugged obsidian 9 in jail now. FOR my 19x with a silencerCo barrel....
View Quote

May have been an ammo thing. I wouldn't worry all that much. It was only a replaceable endcap. I'm okay with that.

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
That sucks. My Obsidian 9 has had zero issues on my Glock 17 and AR9 with factory ammo and my reload of all weights.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
That combo should have been GTG.

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an end cap strike on my Obsidian 45 on its second outing, though it was more severe, taking out several baffles in the adapt module.  When I sent it to Rugged, turned out the piston cage had broken loose inside the can, they took care of it at no cost to me, had the can back pretty quick too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Be sure to keep your piston lubed.  Quick doubletaps or mag dumps might send a round through before the booster has time to settle.  This has caused me a couple end cap strikes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Rugged reached out to me and got me an RMA to send the suppressor in. That was nice but I went ahead and bought another endcap and got it yesterday. I really didn't want to send the can off and be without of it after waiting for approval as it was. Now if it were a baffle strike, that'd be a different story.

Got 30 rounds through it with the new endcap today and zero issues. All is good
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t have a serviceable suppressor in a pistol caliber.  Are the baffles supposed to have an oblong hole next to the main holes like in your pictures?
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 2:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t have a serviceable suppressor in a pistol caliber.  Are the baffles supposed to have an oblong hole next to the main holes like in your pictures?
View Quote

Yes, the baffles on the Obsidian are all clipped like that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 3:00:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The clipping on the baffles helps disrupt the laminar flow of gasses, and creates turbulence that diverts gasses into each of the individual baffles. Without that turbulence, the laminar flow of gas would likely follow the projectile right out the bore, making the suppressor almost useless.

If you are interested in the science behind clipping baffles, check the https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Silencers-Build-It-Yourself/55/ forum for the applications and effects of some of the different methods of clipping.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 3:57:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep, I've been in contact with them and will have a RMA soon. I went ahead and bought another endcap and 3lug adaptor already from SS. I'm just happy it's an endcap. I don't have to send it in, but costs me 65.00.

Yep. 100% disassemble. Nothing but the endcap. I'll have to do what you suggested when the new endcap comes in.

May have been an ammo thing. I wouldn't worry all that much. It was only a replaceable endcap. I'm okay with that.

View Quote

I got an endcap strike on my 9mm capped .45 can.  They want the whole thing and ALL accessories to "check out".  I got the RMA several weeks ago but have been too lazy so far to pack it up and take it to the post office.  I really just wanted to drop the end cap in an envelope and send it back, but the service guy was pretty insistent that since I told them it might be because I sent it downrange earlier (my fault, skipped over the lugs putting it on an MP5 w/ 3-lug) he wanted to give it a full inspection.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Friend has an obsidian9, I tried it on an ancient 32acp pistol I have.  
The ammo I had sheds the jacket all the time.  The jacket was stopped by the baffles no problem, but the jacket pieces sandblasted the endcaps just like yours shows, the endcap was blown out in a spot that lined up with the cutouts on the baffles.  Ie. The jacket hit the endcap and bent it.  Endcap is chinsy aluminum.  I bought him a new endcap for $40.  
Looked exactly like yours.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I had the same result with mu Obsidian9 on FN509. Rugged took care of it; recommended Teflon tape on the threas. The 1/2x28 threads loosen pretty easily... teflon tape helps a little, but the can still loosens after 5-10rounds so not for rapid fire strings. On the plus side, the Obsidian9 for a damned good .300Blk subsonic can. Too bad Rugged doesn’t off a titanium tube for supersonic use.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Friend has an obsidian9, I tried it on an ancient 32acp pistol I have.  
The ammo I had sheds the jacket all the time.  The jacket was stopped by the baffles no problem, but the jacket pieces sandblasted the endcaps just like yours shows, the endcap was blown out in a spot that lined up with the cutouts on the baffles.  Ie. The jacket hit the endcap and bent it.  Endcap is chinsy aluminum.  I bought him a new endcap for $40.  
Looked exactly like yours.
View Quote

If the aluminum didn’t yield, ie. a stiffer material might transmit damaging forces to your tube threads.  Tube being a legally more difficult repair item.  That’s one of those design trade offs.  For a pistol can aluminum is plenty strong for normal functioning and nice and light on the end. As long as cheap replacements are available it’s not a bad trade off.

Pretty impressive that bits of jacket actually peened the crap out of your friends front cap.  You have to have respect for what a little propellant can do.  Even nail gun blanks deliver surprising energy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had the same result with mu Obsidian9 on FN509. Rugged took care of it; recommended Teflon tape on the threas. The 1/2x28 threads loosen pretty easily... teflon tape helps a little, but the can still loosens after 5-10rounds so not for rapid fire strings. On the plus side, the Obsidian9 for a damned good .300Blk subsonic can. Too bad Rugged doesn’t off a titanium tube for supersonic use.
View Quote

I've got a nice .300 can already. Surefire 300SPS SOCOM got approved at the same time.

Top Top