Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/17/2009 11:00:29 AM EST
Anyone have any experience with the Remington Model 5 bolt action rifle?

Cabelas has them on sale this Saturday morning at $189. That's a pretty good price for a potential silencer host, and it might make a decent all-around rifle anyway.

Any experience on quality, accuracy, etc? Does it have provisions to mount a scope? Any other comments?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:30:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 1:32:10 PM EST by shack357]
I have one, and yes it can be scoped. Another poster was asking about them the other day. I have a 4-12X50MM Bushnell on mine, as well as a bipod. Dime sized groups at 50-70 yards are easy with the setup, and with a 50 yard zero it will still shoot point of aim at 100 yards if you switch ammo to CCI Stingers. Not as small of groups at 100, but a friend and I both shot 10 shot groups at 100 to see what we could do. The groups were both small enough that all 20 would be a fatal hit on a rabbit. For the $189 Cabelas is asking in the 4 hour sale it's a great rifle. I saw one last weekend at a local gunshow for $230 and thought that was a good deal. Scope base is an integral tipoff goove. Also has two cross slots like a Weaver base so there might be a different type of rings that fits as well. With the 50MM scope the cheap walmart($6,97 or so) rings are still too low even with the rear sight removed. Ended up getting a set of see thru rings and still had to fold the rear leaf. The trigger is a bit heavy on mine but someone in the other thread said they're adjustable, just haven't gotten around to taking the rifle apart to try.

Edit-here's a link to the other thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=11&t=290947
Top Top