BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone really put a Xeno mount can through the paces or taken a carbine course with it?

I have an M4-2000 that's been converted to Xeno mount. First time I tried mounting the can to the muzzle device, the Xeno mount on the suppressor came loose. I understand once it's mounted, the benefit is you won't loosen your muzzle device trying to remove the can (reverse threaded). But now I have to worry about the adapter mount itself....not the muzzle device. Seemed to replace one problem with another.

I've since used Rocksett on the Xeno adapter to suppressor. Just curious if the threaded taper mount will hold up to long and fast strings of fire without backing off the muzzle device any.
View Quote

this is the only issue with the reverse threads. somewhere along the line it will fight itself and something will loosen up. in this case its the mount that goes into the can. i had this issue when i first installed this system on a 224 bore MG7. the secret is getting the mount tighter than you will ever (hand tighten) the can to the host. once you do this it shouldnt ever loosen. its all smooth sailing for me now.

on another note, any new muzzle devices? i talked to SS yesterday for a special order i had to place for work, and they told me DA is extremely backed up. any 3rd party stuff coming out?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

this is the only issue with the reverse threads. somewhere along the line it will fight itself and something will loosen up. in this case its the mount that goes into the can. i had this issue when i first installed this system on a 224 bore MG7. the secret is getting the mount tighter than you will ever (hand tighten) the can to the host. once you do this it shouldnt ever loosen. its all smooth sailing for me now.

on another note, any new muzzle devices? i talked to SS yesterday for a special order i had to place for work, and they told me DA is extremely backed up. any 3rd party stuff coming out?
View Quote

Yeah, I jacked my Xenos onto my cans with a few zips of the 1/4" impact and haven't had any issues with them parting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been using the FCD 6315XE since I got Xeno for my Nomad, been a good device. Haven't seen any other options yet
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have an M4-2000 that's been converted to Xeno mount. First time I tried mounting the can to the muzzle device, the Xeno mount on the suppressor came loose. I understand once it's mounted, the benefit is you won't loosen your muzzle device trying to remove the can (reverse threaded). But now I have to worry about the adapter mount itself....not the muzzle device. Seemed to replace one problem with another.

I've since used Rocksett on the Xeno adapter to suppressor. Just curious if the threaded taper mount will hold up to long and fast strings of fire without backing off the muzzle device any.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's kind of the point of reverse threads on the muzzle device. When you screw the can onto the rifle, if your HUB adapter comes loose, you didn't have it on the suppressor tight enough in the first place.

Now you know that, rather than not knowing and having a baffle strike. If the HUB adapter was going to come loose from a suppressor that you screwed hand tight on a reverse thread, it would have probably eventually come loose with a regular thread too after heat cycling.

Also when you remove the suppressor from the rifle (which will require more force than screwing it on, especially if it's carboned up), you will be tightening your mount to the suppressor and muzzle device to the barrel instead of removing the muzzle device with your suppressor or leaving your HUB adapter attached to the rifle.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Crickets from DA here, doesn't sound like 9/16x24 is imminent. I considered trying to find someone to cut a 1/2x28 Xero to 9/16x24, but probably not cost effective vs using an adapter.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket company making Xeno compatible muzzle devices that might be able to branch out on thread pitches a little more? I thought there were a few companies planning to start making Xeno compatible muzzle devices a while back, but haven't heard anything else in a while.
View Quote

Todd Mac has been saying "more are coming" for what feels like years now, and how long has the primal been out? Yet they have nothing to offer in big bore Xenos still. I'm about ready to give up hope, and settle on some rearden plan b stuff. But I think they don't even make a 3/4 x 24 that I need
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a longer xeno flash hider that will get a 14.3” barrel to 16” p/w?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Todd Mac has been saying "more are coming" for what feels like years now, and how long has the primal been out? Yet they have nothing to offer in big bore Xenos still. I'm about ready to give up hope, and settle on some rearden plan b stuff. But I think they don't even make a 3/4 x 24 that I need
View All Quotes
Quoted:

While big threaded stuff like 3/4-24 haven't been released yet, we did launch the Xeno Xero series and the Wee Brakes.  There's even a M13.5x1LH Sig Taper for those with MPXs.  

Quoted:
Is there a longer xeno flash hider that will get a 14.3” barrel to 16” p/w?

Xeno is designed to be relatively compact and not reach all the way to blast baffles so as to minimize heavy use damage.  The A1 flash hider is really close when it comes to getting 14.5" to 16" --BUT-- it always depends on how long your threads are.  You'll need a spacer to get it to 16" as you go shorter.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Right now, the DA455 Xeno HUB adapter is out of stock everywhere, but I found one of the LMT Xeno mount adapters in stock at Modern Warriors.

https://modernwarriors.com/product/lmt-advanced-technologies-regulator-mount-adapter-1.375x24mm-xeno-compatible-black

Getting it in hand and comparing it to the DA455, I'm surprised it does not really save that much length. Maybe 1/8"

Both adapters aligned at the bottom of the Xeno Flash hider.

Both adapters aligned at were the back of the suppressor would be.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Right now, the DA455 Xeno HUB adapter is out of stock everywhere, but I found one of the LMT Xeno mount adapters in stock at Modern Warriors.

https://modernwarriors.com/product/lmt-advanced-technologies-regulator-mount-adapter-1.375x24mm-xeno-compatible-black

Getting it in hand and comparing it to the DA455, I'm surprised it does not really save that much length. Maybe 1/8"

https://i.imgur.com/5itrEX1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M6QJx6Y.jpg
View Quote

What’s the weigh savings?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's the weigh savings?
View Quote
Oh yeah, I forgot to include that.

My scale shows the DA455 as 1 7/8 oz (56 grams). The LMT is 1 3/4 oz (50 grams). Not a huge weight savings, less than 1/4 oz.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, I forgot to include that.

My scale shows the DA455 as 1 7/8 oz (56 grams). The LMT is 1 3/4 oz (50 grams). Not a huge weight savings, less than 1/4 oz.
View Quote

neat thanks for sharing this info. Do you know if you can use a socket on the LMT like you can with the DA455?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

neat thanks for sharing this info. Do you know if you can use a socket on the LMT like you can with the DA455?
View Quote
Yes, I found a 1 1/8" socket and it fits both. A little lose on the Xeno and slightly better fitting on the LMT.

I don't have an open end wrench that big, but a crescent wrench adjusted to the same size fits both. Again, just a tiny bit looser on the Xeno.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
@Mageever

Any updates on new xeno muzzle devices?  Would ideally like some ported brakes for both hard use short and precision long rifles.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Hoping we some more Xeno muzzle brake designs soon. Or at least a hybrid / comp.

FCD has a Xeno brake now but I’m not too wild about the design.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hoping we some more Xeno muzzle brake designs soon. Or at least a hybrid / comp.

FCD has a Xeno brake now but I’m not too wild about the design.
View Quote

Oh whaaaaat. That's rad. Im sure forward controls made it for suppressed use (it talks about it in the description).

Link:
https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/1215XE-Xeno_p_494.html

Shoutout to forward controls for releasing new xeno muzzle devices. I also dig their flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh whaaaaat. That's rad. Im sure forward controls made it for suppressed use (it talks about it in the description).

Link:

Shoutout to forward controls for releasing new xeno muzzle devices. I also dig their flash hider.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FCD has a Xeno brake now but I'm not too wild about the design.

Link:

I like a true brake design.  So thats pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@Mageever

Any updates on new xeno muzzle devices?  Would ideally like some ported brakes for both hard use short and precision long rifles.
View Quote

I've personally checked out the first articles on these coming off the machines and they're super nice. Buy the Forward Controls stuff with confidence.

We have another one in production that will be coming out soon that will be more for the hard-use SBR crowd that improves on the actually-does-quite-well flash performance of the A1 style flash hider.  That's all I can say about that one.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#18]
hell yes. glad to see xeno getting some traction!!

now lets bother jmac into making some xeno stuff as well!
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
hell yes. glad to see xeno getting some traction!!

now lets bother jmac into making some xeno stuff as well!
View Quote
I'd like to see some Xeno ( FS, brake, anything) in threads other than 1/2x28 and 5/8x24. Namely 14x1LH.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the update Todd! Looking forward to seeing what transpires.

I know I been on to you, but can't hurt to say it again- let's see a Xeno mount for the Saker series!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We have another one in production that will be coming out soon that will be more for the hard-use SBR crowd that improves on the actually-does-quite-well flash performance of the A1 style flash hider.  That's all I can say about that one.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote
@Mageever

What was wrong with the original A1 style flash hider on SBRs?  What problem are you trying to solve with this new one?

Is it just unsuppresssed muzzle flash that you are trying to improve on?

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What was wrong with the original A1 style flash hider on SBRs?  What problem are you trying to solve with this new one?
View Quote

If we're taking guesses, mine is an open tine flash hider to eliminate closed tine erosion and better eliminate flash.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If we're taking guesses, mine is an open tine flash hider to eliminate closed tine erosion and better eliminate flash.
View Quote
Perhaps, but for a heavy use SBR, open tines will be hell on your blast baffle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@Mageever

View All Quotes
Quoted:
@Mageever

I can't say more than it's more "optimized".  

Quoted:
Perhaps, but for a heavy use SBR, open tines will be hell on your blast baffle.

Unless some design thought went into the adapter/muzzle device fitup so there's still room for gas expansion.  This was a top level goal for Xeno after seeing what other thread-to-taper systems were doing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Unless some design thought went into the adapter/muzzle device fitup so there's still room for gas expansion.  This was a top level goal for Xeno after seeing what other thread-to-taper systems were doing.
View Quote
Sounds interesting. Now I'm excited about this and I still don't know what it is.  

I will say, I really love Xeno. I want to put it on all the things.

I'm still holding on to hope for the A1 FS in 14x1LH and 1/2x36 threads so I can do so. I can currently use Griffin Plan A taper for these in the mean time, but I'd much, much rather use Xeno, especially with the A1 FS.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've personally checked out the first articles on these coming off the machines and they're super nice. Buy the Forward Controls stuff with confidence.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Mageever

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

Any xeno ak mounts in the works?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any news on getting a 9/16x24 Xero for folks chopping and threading lightweight hunting rifles?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Any news on getting a 9/16x24 Xero for folks chopping and threading lightweight hunting rifles?
View Quote

Is 1/2x28 not workable?
I did my Xbolt 3006 in 1/2x28

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Mageever

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
I can't afford to be a hard-use SBRer but,

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#30]
What do you guys think about the DA124 Xeno Brake with 308?

Is it super loud to the shooter? Is it mitigating recoil effectively?

I just ordered a Tavor 7 bullpup with a 16" barrel so that muzzle will be fairly close my face (like an SBR).

I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Brake or Flash Suppressor for this. I plan to shoot it suppressed a lot, but not exclusively.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What do you guys think about the DA124 Xeno Brake with 308?

Is it super loud to the shooter? Is it mitigating recoil effectively?

I just ordered a Tavor 7 bullpup with a 16" barrel so that muzzle will be fairly close my face (like an SBR).

I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Brake or Flash Suppressor for this. I plan to shoot it suppressed a lot, but not exclusively.
View Quote

I can promise that any sort of brake or comp will be unpleasant on something like that. Even on a 16” AR10, I don’t enjoy shooting a brake anywhere near something that reflects, like a cover.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Mageever

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

that would be nice too
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I can promise that any sort of brake or comp will be unpleasant on something like that. Even on a 16" AR10, I don't enjoy shooting a brake anywhere near something that reflects, like a cover.
View Quote
Yeah good point. I had a brake silver soldered on a 17" FAL during the AWB years and hated it on a covered range. As soon as that bit of nonsense sunset, I cut that thing off.

Maybe the DA122 A1 FH is the way to go with this.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#34]
The Xeno brake is flat out obnoxious on any rifle.

I've got one on a 10.5 556 and one on a 12.5 308. If you like a flash bang going off in front of your face every time you pull the trigger, it's the muzzle device for you.

I run them on short SBR's for the whole sacrificial baffle thing.  I'd never run them on a gun that was primarily unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've got one on a 10.5 556 and one on a 12.5 308. If you like a flash bang going off in front of your face every time you pull the trigger, it's the muzzle device for you.

I run them on short SBR's for the whole sacrificial baffle thing.  I'd never run them on a gun that was primarily unsuppressed.
View Quote

Yeah that's the only reason I got them. It was probably not necessary on my 16" 308 though, and I'm eagerly awaiting the new aforementioned flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, I just shot my PWS MK111 Pro with a Xeno brake today and it was as you described, especially under a low hanging corrugated steel roof.  I threw the gas knob back from 1 to 3 and threw my can back on quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was what I'm going for since I'll likely mostly shoot it suppressed.  It's a heavy gun though (especially after I add an LPVO on it) so recoil mitigation probably isn't that necessary.

Maybe the Xeno A1 FH won't be that bad on the blast baffle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

I have/had 1/2x28 threads on my Kimbers in 6.5 CM and .280 AI, and they are fine. I would prefer to use larger threads on barrels where they will fit though, and 9/16x24 is a nice goldilocks size for a lot of hunting weight barrels, more meat between the thread root and groove than 1/2x28 for .30 cals. My most recent threaded hunting rifle is a 300 WSM Tikka 9/16x24 fits the purpose well, but since there's no Xero in this thread I'm adapting up to 5/8x24.... Not the end of the world, but I'd rather not have to use adapters.

Here's the latest 18" Tikka 300 WSM w/ adapter, Nomad TI has held up well to the ~90 rounds through up thus far.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I’ve got one for you experts, comparing the Xeno brake to the BattleComp (2.0 or others)….

1)  Is there much difference in sound / felt concussion?
2)  Any noticeable difference in felt recoil?

Looking at the two designs, I’m most curious which one would do a better job at taming recoil, WITHOUT a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks like the Forward Control Designs Brakes are out.  I just ordered a 1/2 x 28 version.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Any in stock da457?  Been looking for a while. Fits the p series suppressors

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Looks like the Forward Control Designs Brakes are out.  I just ordered a 1/2 x 28 version.
View Quote

I think you will like it.  I ran one on a Hodge 11.5 with a Dead Air Sierra 5 last night.  For those worried about every ounce, this won't be for you as it is built like a tank, but I'm digging so far.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#43]
im not sure how tagging works, but ill give it a shot

@Mageever

when are DA455s going to be back in stock? it looks like i can get the lmt xeno mount for my S5, but its slightly different in terms of measurement. im sure it will work with the S5, but id prefer the mount it was spec'd with.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/5itrEX1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M6QJx6Y.jpg
View Quote

@dmk0210

Thank you for the link(s).

In the interest of the Xeno topic and not cluttering the Sierra 5 thread; am I correct to assume the LMT Xeno adapter provides a shorter oal when mounted compared to the DA version?

I had originally thought they were dimensionally the same sans the LMT version having more of a traditional hex at the rear.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@dmk0210

Thank you for the link(s).

In the interest of the Xeno topic and not cluttering the Sierra 5 thread; am I correct to assume the LMT Xeno adapter provides a shorter oal when mounted compared to the DA version?

I had originally thought they were dimensionally the same sans the LMT version having more of a traditional hex at the rear.

View Quote
You're welcome!

Yes, a very slightly shorter OAL with a DA flash hider or brake. Maybe 1/8". Not enough to really matter.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You're welcome!

Yes, a very slightly shorter OAL with a DA flash hider or brake. Maybe 1/8". Not enough to really matter.
View Quote

So is it safe to assume that shorter OAL comes at the cost of baffle baffle to muzzle device spacing?

That is what I'm worried about and trying to avoid.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So is it safe to assume that shorter OAL comes at the cost of baffle baffle to muzzle device spacing?

That is what I'm worried about and trying to avoid.
View Quote
Correct. It's not much though. IIRC @Mageever stated that the flash hider to blast baffle spec has some extra room built in with Xeno. Todd, correct me if I'm wrong please.

This picture illustrates two DA121 flash hiders lined up and the DA vs LMT Xeno adapters screwed on. The LMT sits lower down on the FH by about the width of the flange.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
im not sure how tagging works, but ill give it a shot

@Mageever

when are DA455s going to be back in stock? it looks like i can get the lmt xeno mount for my S5, but its slightly different in terms of measurement. im sure it will work with the S5, but id prefer the mount it was spec'd with.
View Quote

I'm not really tracking accessory shipments right now, but I have heard there are some on the way.  They'll sell fast, though.  Make sure you're on a wait list with a major dealer.  If you have a LGS you support, then have your guy watching RSR.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Correct. It's not much though. IIRC @Mageever stated that the flash hider to blast baffle spec has some extra room built in with Xeno. Todd, correct me if I'm wrong please.

This picture illustrates two DA121 flash hiders lined up and the DA vs LMT Xeno adapters screwed on. The LMT sits lower down on the FH by about the width of the flange.

https://i.imgur.com/5itrEX1.jpeg
View Quote

Yeah, it's a tiny difference between the two.  The LMT one sticks into the can a tiny bit more--like .10" or so. We built plenty of clearance in there.  The only reason why you should worry about that is if you're running some can with a crazy close blast baffle.  So close that other's don't fit.  As long as the blast baffle is 1.5"+ from the back where the 1.375-24 threads start, then you'll be fine.  Most cans are now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's a tiny difference between the two.  The LMT one sticks into the can a tiny bit more--like .10" or so. We built plenty of clearance in there.  The only reason why you should worry about that is if you're running some can with a crazy close blast baffle.  So close that other's don't fit.  As long as the blast baffle is 1.5"+ from the back where the 1.375-24 threads start, then you'll be fine.  Most cans are now.
View Quote

Awesome. Thanks Todd!
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top