Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/1/2014 8:48:52 PM EDT
Received my stamp for my 11.5 SBR this week and already thinking of a suppressor to add.  I know from doing my research that the 5.56 guns are still loud even with a suppressor but wanted to get some feedback.  Are there really any hearing safe 5.56 suppressors out there?

I am leaning toward:

1.Socom 556 RC
2.Saker 556
3.M4-2000

Somewhat in that order.  I wanted something that is going to be as quiet as is realistically possible and a good mounting system with min POI shift.

The guns the suppressor will be will be my 11.5 sbr and a 16inch mid-length.

Lets hear suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably not, 5.56 is still pretty loud suppressed thanks to the supersonic nature of the round.  To me it sounds about like a unsuppressed 22, I can tolerate some shooting without earpro, but it can still cause hearing damage.  I have and recommend the Saker, it's a great can with many mounting options and it's built like a tank.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
My specwar556 is pretty quiet. Not hearing safe but pretty quiet.i run it on the 7.5 and it's about 22 loud.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No, no such thing as truly "hearing safe" with centerfire supersonic rifle.

There are 3 sources of sound on a centerfire semi-auto.
-Supersonic crack
-Gases "uncorking" from the bore
-The action cycling

All 3 can be too loud to be hearing safe, and a silencer only deals with slowing and cooling the gasses escaping the bore.

That said, there are suppressors that can take away the thump of an SBR, and severely reduce the sound of escaping gases. Each can also has it's own sound that's independent of the dB reduction. With 2 cans that meter equally the one with the higher pitch will sound louder to most people.

I got the change to test the GMT-HALO Ti from Gemtech last year. Dumped a whole mag from my 11.5" SBR on F/A and it was incredibly comfortable without ears.

I also just posted a review of my new Griffin M4SDK here. It's obviously not hearing safe but has a deeper tone than some cans I've fired and I dumped half a mag without ear-pro and was not uncomfortable.

The 3 you have listed are basically the standard industry cans out there right now. I can't see going wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My specwar556 is pretty quiet. Not hearing safe but pretty quiet.i run it on the 7.5 and it's about 22 loud.
View Quote

Huh

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Huh

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh

I don't have a 11.5 right now but have a 10.5 barrel coming.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
-Supersonic crack
-The action cycling
View Quote

You are missing a sound or two:
1) The gas ports on the side of the bolt blow out as the action opens
2) Gas blow-by at the gas block (two gaps), gas key, and bolt gap
3) Gas escaping from the barrel due to back pressure
4) The projectile striking the backstop.

#1 is quite loud on pistol & carbine length gas systems.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a Surefire, but from what I understand, Surefires are noticeably louder than other suppressors.  Not trying to start a fight and I don't own a Surefire, but I figured that should be a consideration in your selection from the three you posted.  Maybe someone here can post more.  I have had someone tell that uses Surefire that they are louder than others.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#8]
No... Not with supers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Any bullet that is supersonic will never truly be hearing safe. Only subsonic bullets and suppressors can be hearing safe. I'm very happy with my AAC M4-2000 suppressor, of course the sonic crack of the bullet still is loud enough for my to want to keep my hearing protection on. I'll use my 300BLK with AAC 762-SDN-6 setup with subsonic bullets to be very quiet when hunting pigs. Or I also like my 9mm setup with subsonic bullets and suppressor for fun. And of course my quietest AR-15 setup is with my .22lr kit and SWR Spectre II suppressor and subsonic bullets, it's Hollywood quiet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are there really any hearing safe 5.56 suppressors out there?
View Quote

Short answer is NO. A suppressed 5.56 is still loud.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:40:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Received my stamp for my 11.5 SBR this week and already thinking of a suppressor to add.  I know from doing my research that the 5.56 guns are still loud even with a suppressor but wanted to get some feedback.  Are there really any hearing safe 5.56 suppressors out there?

I am leaning toward:

1.Socom 556 RC
2.Saker 556
3.M4-2000

Somewhat in that order.  I wanted something that is going to be as quiet as is realistically possible and a good mounting system with min POI shift.

The guns the suppressor will be will be my 11.5 sbr and a 16inch mid-length.

Lets hear suggestions.
View Quote

Halo on a SLR-106. very old pic. been a few tweaks here & there. It is also the quietest of the 5.56 cans on a 12.5" AA SBR

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
No rifle is going to be hearing safe.

Even pistols are slowly, round by round, ruining your hearing if you don't at least have plugs or muffs on.

What a supressor will do is turn a 556 into a 22 LR, which is so much more pleasant to shoot, espeically at a range with a roof.

The Surefire cans are great, and have about the best mount around.  I have no POI change with/without the can.

It's my 2 cent observation that Surefire looked over the requirements for that the military set out for a supressor, made it as quiet as required, then worked on the longevity and durabiilty of the can.  So it's probably louder than the Saker, but more ruggeded.  I don't think you'll ever wear out either one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No rifle is going to be hearing safe.

Even pistols are slowly, round by round, ruining your hearing if you don't at least have plugs or muffs on.

What a supressor will do is turn a 556 into a 22 LR, which is so much more pleasant to shoot, espeically at a range with a roof.

The Surefire cans are great, and have about the best mount around.  I have no POI change with/without the can.

It's my 2 cent observation that Surefire looked over the requirements for that the military set out for a supressor, made it as quiet as required, then worked on the longevity and durabiilty of the can.  So it's probably louder than the Saker, but more ruggeded.  I don't think you'll ever wear out either one.
View Quote

Right on.  Chasing DB is great.. to a point.. there are so many other factors that people need to consider.  I'd take a slightly louder can that has other positive things going for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Even on my 300 blackout with my specwar, I still wear plugs. You only have one set of ears. Take care of them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Not on an SBR for sure.

Just thinking out loud here, maybe on a 20+ " rifle, but then you're still dealing with the action noise which is substantial.

I still wear ear pro when shooting my 16" rifles w/ suppressors.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
supersonics are never hearing safe. even suppressed supersonic 22lr isn't hearing safe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
supersonics are never hearing safe. even suppressed supersonic 22lr isn't hearing safe.
View Quote

I have had many suppressed firearms in my hands over my lifetime.

Hearing Safe??

Maybe subsonic 22 or other pistol calibers are 'hearing safe'.

Bottom line if you are concerned about protecting your hearing, cover or plug the ears.

I should add that my experience is over 10 years ago so I do not know what new technology, if any is in suppressors today.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#18]
with centerfire rifles, you are really going for combat hearing safe...  that is why I don't think you lose much going with the mini cans.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Most of the confusion on "hearing safe" comes from people confusing the OSHA definition of hearing safe for impulse noise vs. "It don't make my ears ring..."
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't have a Surefire, but from what I understand, Surefires are noticeably louder than other suppressors.  Not trying to start a fight and I don't own a Surefire, but I figured that should be a consideration in your selection from the three you posted.  Maybe someone here can post more.  I have had someone tell that uses Surefire that they are louder than others.
View Quote

I shot side by side with my buddy. I have an 11.5 w/ a Socom 556-rc. He has the Specwar, which is probably the quietest metering 5.56 QD can out right now.

His is a little quieter than mine. The guy a few lanes down said, "I thought that one sounded like it might have been a little quieter." So, yeah its a little louder. Perceptibly but not dramatically.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#21]
A Surefire SOCOM 5.56 MINI would be my choice for hearing safe, although even that won't be. No way to really achieve that with this platform and caliber.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#22]
You guys are awesome!  All of the answers above are what I figured from doing my research previously.  I am leaning toward either the Saker or the Socom.  Price isn't really a problem as its an NFA item for life in my mind.  Some things I am thinking about right now are I really like the mounting system on the socom and how there is very little POI shift.  I don't like the look of the Socom flash hiders or the brakes which I know may be stupid but I do like the Silencer Co brakes and flash hiders.  They are both built like tanks equally correct?  Has anyone found one to be better over another?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#23]
SOCOM mini is more of a blast inhibitor than a true suppressor, and the regular SOCOM RC usually tests
right at the top of the DB range with the rest of the competition, it's not even mid pack in terms of weight/size either,
but the koolaid is sweeeet.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SOCOM mini is more of a blast inhibitor than a true suppressor, and the regular SOCOM RC usually tests
right at the top of the DB range with the rest of the competition, it's not even mid pack in terms of weight/size either,
but the koolaid is sweeeet.

View Quote

This disagrees with both surefire and independent test data I have seen as well as my own ears.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#25]
The barrel itself also radiates noise, as does the suppressor shell.  Of course, handguards and suppressor covers do provide some sound reduction.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a SOCOM 556 RC. It's pretty loud on my 10.5 SBR. With that said, I can shoot it without ears on my LT tOBR 14.5. The gas block suppressor setting is tuned perfectly on the tOBR. Surefire is definitely not the quietest can out there but I like it for the build and mounting system.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#27]
You shouldn't be shooting any suppressed AR without ears, period.  The ejection port fires 145dB straight into your right ear.  It is dangerously loud.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You shouldn't be shooting any suppressed AR without ears, period.  The ejection port fires 145dB straight into your right ear.  It is dangerously loud.
View Quote

Someone want to diagram this shooting position for me, I'm clueless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I regularly shoot my 12in suppressed (AAC M4-2000) 5.56 cal SBR without ear pro. It's safe and comfortable. I do shoot outdoors so that helps to make things a little more quiet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I regularly shoot my 12in suppressed (AAC M4-2000) 5.56 cal SBR without ear pro. It's safe and comfortable. I do shoot outdoors so that helps to make things a little more quiet.
View Quote

It may be comfortable but it's not safe.  I imagine your hearing has been damaged to the point it sounds comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh, a properly gassed gun's ejection port does not... or a piston gun... or a suppressor with less back pressure, etc.  An overgassed DI gun with a pistol gas system on a can with too much gas pressure might be pretty loud, though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Uh, a properly gassed gun's ejection port does not... or a piston gun... or a suppressor with less back pressure, etc.  An overgassed DI gun with a pistol gas system on a can with too much gas pressure might be pretty loud, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  All my cans are old, I get back pressure to a degree.  Modern cans are better.  There is a reason people desire cans with reduced back pressure, and this is one of them.  The gas is so bad on my 11.5" w/M4-96D I simply learned to hold my breath when firing in full auto.  (and I use a PRI GB charging handle to help, but need to drill a hole and do the RTV mod)
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:16:49 AM EDT
[#33]
With a DI operated 5.56 mm AR15, you are usually looking at the following suppressed SPLs ( depending on the barrel length )

1 m left of the muzzle, c. 133-140 dB

Shooters left ear, 128-135 dB
Shooters right ear, 141-145 dB

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:29:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let me clarify. I don't run around shooting hundreds of rounds of suppressed 5.56 without ear pro. There has been a few times I've shot a few rounds without ears outdoors to test it out. On the 14.5, it was manageable at the shooter's ear. I've never done it with the 10.5 though. Now, with that said, I'm pretty sure I can't grab it at work and ask said 'bad guy' to stand by while I put my ear pro in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#35]
My savage bolt gun in .223 is what I would call hearing safe with my AAC M4-2000. Honestly sounds similar to a pellet gun.

My 10.5 SBR on the other hand.... Its much quieter than unsuppressed, but has the report similar to a .22lr. It rings my right ear a little after several rounds without ear pro.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#36]
a heavy buffer and adjustable gas should reduce the port noise a bit no? possibly even get it under 140dB at the right ear?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
a heavy buffer and adjustable gas should reduce the port noise a bit no? possibly even get it under 140dB at the right ear?
View Quote

With a low back-pressure can like the SOCOM 556 MINI it might be close.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#38]
With all of the information provided thinking about some things 1.Blow Back Gas 2.Toughness of the can 3.DB Levels 4.Mounting system

Which would you choose Saker 556 or Socom 556 RC?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No, no such thing as truly "hearing safe" with centerfire supersonic rifle.

-Supersonic crack

-The action cycling

All 3 can be too loud to be hearing safe, and a silencer only deals with slowing and cooling the gasses escaping the bore.

That said, there are suppressors that can take away the thump of an SBR, and severely reduce the sound of escaping gases. Each can also has it's own sound that's independent of the dB reduction. With 2 cans that meter equally the one with the higher pitch will sound louder to most people.

I got the change to test the GMT-HALO Ti from Gemtech last year. Dumped a whole mag from my 11.5" SBR on F/A and it was incredibly comfortable without ears.

I also just posted a review of my new Griffin M4SDK here. It's obviously not hearing safe but has a deeper tone than some cans I've fired and I dumped half a mag without ear-pro and was not uncomfortable.

The 3 you have listed are basically the standard industry cans out there right now. I can't see going wrong with any of them.
View Quote
That's a sick can. I was looking at the M4SD-II but may go with the K instead!

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
With all of the information provided thinking about some things 1.Blow Back Gas 2.Toughness of the can 3.DB Levels 4.Mounting system

View Quote

SOCOM for the mounting system.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A right-handed shooter's right ear is within a few inches of the ejection port with a good cheek weld.  OK, it's not "straight."  But a meter microphone placed at a right-hander's ear on a typical suppressed AR will measure 140-145dB regardless of silencer brand.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe close to 140dB but again, when a can drops below 140dB it does not magically become safe for your ears.  139dB is almost exactly as dangerous as 140dB.  AAC Mini-4 142.9dB @ ear, AAC SPR/M4 (unbelievably good 5.56 can with reflex design to reduce back pressure) 144.1dB @ ear. Gemtech HALO 144.1dB @ ear, YHM Phantom QD 143.9dB @ ear, SOCOM 556-RC 140.8dB @ ear.  Those numbers are from Bryon Gaston and Austin at Griffin.

BadgerArms will keep insisting that exposing your ears to 130+ dB is safe because OSHA says so.  Multiple ARFCOM members who happen to be physicians who treat people with sensorineural hearing loss have strongly disagreed with him.  Take your pick of whom to trust.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Maybe close to 140dB but again, when a can drops below 140dB it does not magically become safe for your ears.  139dB is almost exactly as dangerous as 140dB.  AAC Mini-4 142.9dB @ ear, AAC SPR/M4 (unbelievably good 5.56 can with reflex design to reduce back pressure) 144.1dB @ ear. Gemtech HALO 144.1dB @ ear, YHM Phantom QD 143.9dB @ ear, SOCOM 556-RC 140.8dB @ ear.  Those numbers are from Bryon Gaston and Austin at Griffin.

BadgerArms will keep insisting that exposing your ears to 130+ dB is safe because OSHA says so.  Multiple ARFCOM members who happen to be physicians who treat people with sensorineural hearing loss have strongly disagreed with him.  Take your pick of whom to trust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a safe number?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#45]
No one knows because no one has adequately studied it. The 140dB OSHA number was little more than a guess when it was chosen. Also, it is misleading to say "under 140dB is OSHA safe" because 140dB is the threshold a which OSHA says NO amount of exposure is safe. They have exposure guidelines for levels below 140dB but anything above like 130dB has ludicrously small "maximum cumulative exposure" times. So even OSHA implicitly understands that hearing damage is not an on-off switch, more like a gradual continuum. The best analogy I've heard is hot water. The 140dB cutoff is like saying "Putting your hand in 212-degree water is dangerous." Well, sure, but that doesn't mean 210-degree water is safe. Everyone would agree that 120 degree water is safe, 180 degree water is not, and then there's a grey area in between where brief exposures might be safe depending on the exact temperature, the exposure time, and the person's individual skin. Likewise, 100dB is probably safe, 140dB is clearly not, and there's a wide range in between where the smartest thing to do is minimize your exposure as much as possible to avoid breaking your unknown individual threshold for injury.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

here's the thing, I trust you that *some* degree of loss may occur below 140dB, I just don't care

I don't wear bicycle helmets and have been playing rock music for 15years
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOCOM stacks up pretty well according to those numbers
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#48]
haha thats what I am thinking as well
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Saker 762 with 556 cap. /thread
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Any bullet that is supersonic will never truly be hearing safe. Only subsonic bullets and suppressors can be hearing safe. I'm very happy with my AAC M4-2000 suppressor, of course the sonic crack of the bullet still is loud enough for my to want to keep my hearing protection on. I'll use my 300BLK with AAC 762-SDN-6 setup with subsonic bullets to be very quiet when hunting pigs. Or I also like my 9mm setup with subsonic bullets and suppressor for fun. And of course my quietest AR-15 setup is with my .22lr kit and SWR Spectre II suppressor and subsonic bullets, it's Hollywood quiet.
View Quote

Not to get too far off topic...but what bullets are you using and your getting good expansion?  I really like my 300BLK, but not all that impressed with the subsonic bullet performance.  Seems to poke nice .308" holes in most of what I shoot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top