Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
My 18" .223 fired with an AAC SPR/M4 suppressor with the adjustable gas block set so the action doesn't cycle is much, much quieter for the shooter than 300 BLK sub-sonics fired through my SDN-6 with the action cycling.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With all of the information provided thinking about some things 1.Blow Back Gas 2.Toughness of the can 3.DB Levels 4.Mounting system

Which would you choose Saker 556 or Socom 556 RC?

SOCOM for the mounting system.

+1

What makes it better than the Saker mounting system?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
With all of the information provided thinking about some things 1.Blow Back Gas 2.Toughness of the can 3.DB Levels 4.Mounting system

View Quote

Surefire since it's a known quantity.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:49:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is there a safe number?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a heavy buffer and adjustable gas should reduce the port noise a bit no? possibly even get it under 140dB at the right ear?

With a low back-pressure can like the SOCOM 556 MINI it might be close.

Maybe close to 140dB but again, when a can drops below 140dB it does not magically become safe for your ears.  139dB is almost exactly as dangerous as 140dB.  AAC Mini-4 142.9dB @ ear, AAC SPR/M4 (unbelievably good 5.56 can with reflex design to reduce back pressure) 144.1dB @ ear. Gemtech HALO 144.1dB @ ear, YHM Phantom QD 143.9dB @ ear, SOCOM 556-RC 140.8dB @ ear.  Those numbers are from Bryon Gaston and Austin at Griffin.

BadgerArms will keep insisting that exposing your ears to 130+ dB is safe because OSHA says so.  Multiple ARFCOM members who happen to be physicians who treat people with sensorineural hearing loss have strongly disagreed with him.  Take your pick of whom to trust.

Is there a safe number?

No. Even sounds as quiet as mid 80's will cause hearing loss over time. 130's is certainly not safe.

Most people typically call mid/low 120's at the ear "safe", and it likely won't be a "huge deal" unless it's occupational. It's still not "good for you".

Think of a vehicle motor. Shifting it at redline all the time will wear it out faster than driving it more conservatively. So...what's "safe"? Well, anything other than "not running" creates wear...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:52:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOCOM for the mounting system.

+1

It is simple. It is robust. It is repeatable. It is as idiot-proof as 2 moving parts can get.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Just for some clarity:
A change of (-3dB) is approxiamtely equal to double or half the power.

So... a few dB is alot!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just for some clarity:A change of (-3dB) is approxiamtely equal to double or half the power.

So... a few dB is alot!
View Quote

Adjusting gas for optimal function with a suppressor nets 1.5 to 3 db at the ear secondary to port noise reduction. It is more significant than frp to my ears using a surefire 212.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys are awesome!  All of the answers above are what I figured from doing my research previously.  I am leaning toward either the Saker or the Socom.  Price isn't really a problem as its an NFA item for life in my mind.  Some things I am thinking about right now are I really like the mounting system on the socom and how there is very little POI shift.  I don't like the look of the Socom flash hiders or the brakes which I know may be stupid but I do like the Silencer Co brakes and flash hiders.  They are both built like tanks equally correct?  Has anyone found one to be better over another?
View Quote

My socom has no discernible POI shift at 50 yards (haven't shot for accuracy at 100 with my SBR). My buddies Specwar was about 2-3" down at 50 yards. He has the LW barrel though, so that might account for something.  

I also have an adjustable gas block. So the sound at the ear was about the same and there was no blowback. The specwar was on a regular gas block and had some gas blowback. It was less than my Thunderbeast has though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Adjusting gas for optimal function with a suppressor nets 1.5 to 3 db at the ear secondary to port noise reduction. It is more significant than frp to my ears using a surefire 212.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just for some clarity:A change of (-3dB) is approxiamtely equal to double or half the power.

So... a few dB is alot!

I'm not sure I follow, are you saying turning down the gas made the suppressed muzzle report louder?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I follow, are you saying turning down the gas made the suppressed muzzle report louder?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So... a few dB is alot!

He's saying there's less ejection port noise.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So... a few dB is alot!

that's what I was hoping he meant, the use of the word "secondary" was breaking my language parser
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#12]
What adjustable gas block are you using and with what rail?  I am leaning toward getting the Socom right now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 16 inch barreled rifle I built as a perma-host for an older AWC suppressor.  It's a thread on, and it never comes off.  I liked the taper-pinned cut down FSP that was already on my CHF barrel, and wanted to keep it, so I got an adjustable gas key from Rubber City Armory.  The gas is adjusted at the back of the gas key, and after a few minutes of fiddling, the screw was turned in as far as it would go, the the rifle would still lock back after the last round.  It my un-quantifiable opinion, not only is gas greatly reduced, but sound as well, at the ejection port.  With my 16 inch barrel and crap AWC suppressor (basically a stack of fender washers, I checked), it's amazingly quiet.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm running a 10.5" with a AAC M4-2000.  It's comfortable but I was on a outdoor range, and if I would be shooting all day I probably would throw in plugs.  I shot standard .22 lr and subsonic .22 lr through it too, VERY quiet.

I have shot a 7" with a off brand can, it rang my ears.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What adjustable gas block are you using and with what rail?  I am leaning toward getting the Socom right now.
View Quote

I was using a 14.5 Noveske with sb. I don't use adjustable gas blocks anymore.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an AAC 240SD and outside with factory supersonic ammo in 5.56 and 7.62 Nato the suppressor is very comfortable to shoot without hearing protection. I just hear a slightly noticeable, soft crack of the round traveling downrange. Nothing loud. On an indoor range with the concrete walls, the reverberation magnifies the blast and it is not hearing safe. Funny thing, I also have an Osprey suppressor and on my 9mm Glock 17 outside, it is much louder than the rifle suppressor and requires some hearing protection.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#17]
so to sum up, there is no such thing as a hearing safe 5.56 suppressor.

just because your ears don't "hurt" or "ring" doesn't mean there isn't permanent damage being done.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:06:02 AM EDT
[#18]
And the more you keep shooting without EP, feeling that supersonic cracks are comfortable, the more comfortable it shall become to the point shooting without a can will seem okay as well.

Sonic cracks being comfortable or nonexistant is not a sign your suppressor is awesome, it's a sign your hearing is permanently damaged and you are slowly going deaf.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#19]
as the saying goes, you don't hear a thing... until you don't hear a thing.

hearing damage is permanent, irreversible.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#20]
From another thread a couple months back>

By "hearing safe," what is meant is the requirement in both MIL-STD 1474D and OSHA regulations that state that peak sound levels over 140 dB mandate hearing protection. We measure at the industry standard of 1 meter to the side of the muzzle. Our experience has been that at the general (and somewhat ill-defined) location of the "shooter's ear," the sound level is generally 3-4 dB lower than it is at the reference location of 1 meter left of the muzzle.

All of our suppressors reduce the sound to the point where the sound pressure level at the reference location is lower than 140 dB with all warranted barrel lengths. With most of our .223 suppressors, this is in the vicinity of 135-137 dB, depending on the barrel length.

Please remember that the bullet flight noise ballistic crack) for the .223 is around 148 dB, but this is a shock wave being generated down range and what we hear is reflected back toward the shooter. When you consider the attenuation due to the inverse square law, the ballistic crack is almost never an issue for hearing damage to the shooter.

Hope this helps.

Philip H. Dater, MD
39 years in the industry, 21 with GEMTECH
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:02:14 AM EDT
[#21]

If a sound reaches 85 dB or stronger, it can cause permanent damage to your hearing. The amount of time you listen to a sound affects how much damage it will cause. The quieter the sound, the longer you can listen to it safely. If the sound is very quiet, it will not cause damage even if you listen to it for a very long time; however, exposure to some common sounds can cause permanent damage. With extended exposure, noises that reach a decibel level of 85 can cause permanent damage to the hair cells in the inner ear, leading to hearing loss.
View Quote

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

• A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB – not loud enough to cause damage.

• A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).

• When listening to a personal music system with stock earphones at a maximum volume, the sound generated can reach a level of over 100 dBA, loud enough to begin causing permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!

• A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.

Leaves rustling is 0db. My hearing is -5 to -15 in every band.  I have VERY good hearing. I can hear frequencies above 20K.  Why is my hearing still so good at 46 years of age?  Cause I don't expose myself to things like action noise and sonic cracks.  If it hurts me, it's too loud and sonic cracks in the open hurt me.

If you don't want to retain excellent hearing like me - by all means, keep exposing yourself.  140 is the LIMIT, probably the point at which 50% of the people experience damage, and the other 50% don't.  YMMV

I do admit I shoot a lot of full auto which means REPEATED exposure, far more than someone just shooting groups out of a bolt rifle.  This forces me to take extra care.

Perhaps if I only shot on flat open desert and no hills around - it wouldn't get to me, but I only shoot where there is a back stop and that is probably reflecting enough back to hurt me.  My usual shooting range is only 330 yards long and is flanked by trees.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:17:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

By "hearing safe," what is meant is the requirement in both MIL-STD 1474D and OSHA regulations that state that peak sound levels over 140 dB mandate hearing protection. We measure at the industry standard of 1 meter to the side of the muzzle. Our experience has been that at the general (and somewhat ill-defined) location of the "shooter's ear," the sound level is generally 3-4 dB lower than it is at the reference location of 1 meter left of the muzzle.

All of our suppressors reduce the sound to the point where the sound pressure level at the reference location is lower than 140 dB with all warranted barrel lengths. With most of our .223 suppressors, this is in the vicinity of 135-137 dB, depending on the barrel length.

Please remember that the bullet flight noise ballistic crack) for the .223 is around 148 dB, but this is a shock wave being generated down range and what we hear is reflected back toward the shooter. When you consider the attenuation due to the inverse square law, the ballistic crack is almost never an issue for hearing damage to the shooter.

Hope this helps.

Philip H. Dater, MD

39 years in the industry, 21 with GEMTECH

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#23]
robert farago of TTAG has permanent tinnitus because he believed a manufacturer's claim that their suppressor was "hearing safe". only took 3 shots to do it.

manufacturers want to sell you stuff. of course they're going to make claims like "hearing safe". now find a sales guy willing to stand next to one of their "hearing safe" suppressors and take 3 magazines of supersonics without hearing protection.

something else to think about. the #1 VA claim by total number is Tinnitus.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you don't want to retain excellent hearing like me - by all means, keep exposing yourself.  140 is the LIMIT, probably the point at which 50% of the people experience damage, and the other 50% don't.  YMMV
View Quote

ok I will, I like those odds
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't factual. Do you really think that the hairs in the inner ear on one person are unaffected while another person suffers damage? Man...those hairs are hairs. That's not very technical, I know, but 100% of everyone will suffer damage. Some may show it sooner, some may suffer more. Wait until you can't hear the birds, but you have constant crickets in your head. People have suck-started a pistol it's so bad in some cases. It really is horrible, to have hyperacusis, which can result from such. I just don't think I can adequately describe it. I really don't.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They aren't factual. Do you really think that the hairs in the inner ear on one person are unaffected while another person suffers damage? Man...those hairs are hairs. That's not very technical, I know, but 100% of everyone will suffer damage. Some may show it sooner, some may suffer more. Wait until you can't hear the birds, but you have constant crickets in your head. People have suck-started a pistol it's so bad in some cases. It really is horrible, to have hyperacusis, which can result from such. I just don't think I can adequately describe it. I really don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take that under advisement
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spend a few bucks and get an audiogram. In fact, I can share one with you for free if you have a set of earbuds and a quiet room and a few minutes to do it. Let me know what you notice in the 6kHz range, if you don't mind...

I have taken professional audiograms as well as this online deal. This online "audiogram" was a perfect mirror of the professional tests I have taken, except for the fact that it does not measure a reliable "base-line" or scale. However, the dips and rough amount of dips WILL mirror what a professional audiogram will reveal, if you actually use it properly. You will know exactly where you have hearing loss and where you don't have so much, just, the "thresholds" will be off, as it is speaker/system/earbud dependent.

http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Spend a few bucks and get an audiogram. In fact, I can share one with you for free if you have a set of earbuds and a quiet room and a few minutes to do it. Let me know what you notice in the 6kHz range, if you don't mind...

I have taken professional audiograms as well as this online deal. This online "audiogram" was a perfect mirror of the professional tests I have taken, except for the fact that it does not measure a reliable "base-line" or scale. However, the dips and rough amount of dips WILL mirror what a professional audiogram will reveal, if you actually use it properly. You will know exactly where you have hearing loss and where you don't have so much, just, the "thresholds" will be off, as it is speaker/system/earbud dependent.

View Quote

quiet room? lol

I'm not interested in measuring my hearing, it's good enough and what I do with my ears is none of anyone's concern but mine
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

quiet room? lol

I'm not interested in measuring my hearing, it's good enough and what I do with my ears is none of anyone's concern but mine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

quiet room? lol

Then rock on. Everything is hearing-safe for you

ETA: The medical professional in me does require that I offer you this one bit of warning. I joined a hyperacusis forum once when I had an interest in hearing/acoustic trauma events/etc.

You would not believe how many people had "great hearing" but jammed out at one concern too many, and were suffering sleep-loss, fatigue, and depression off the charts due to sensoryneural damage. It's not that "Oh, I can't hear". No...oh, no...it's that the brain is no-longer receiving signals in sufficient quantity...so it creates some signals...and you are NEVER alone once that happens. Man, oh, man. I read some serious outpouring of emotions about it.

Am I trying to scare you? No. I know you don't react that way, and you will probably write this off...and I hope you never remember that you did. Because if ya do, well...chances are it matters to you then. No...all I'm doing is providing info for you to shitcan it. Because that's what I do for people for a living. Hand them good advice so they can shitcan it on my and your tax dollars, but, hey, that's what being a healthcare professional is most of the time when it comes to patient education and compliance. Consider my PSA done.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok the scientist in me couldn't walk away from it, bearing in mind that I was using crappy studio headphones and my house is rife with all sorts of white noises, I only had to raise the 6kHz by one box (3dB) to make it equivalently loud to the 1-4kHz sounds
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Good stuff! Protect what you have.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good stuff! Protect what you have.
View Quote

well if it makes you feel any better, I did start using foam plugs during my band practice b/c my drummer was ringing my ears with his excessively violent cymbal use
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I better go warn every Harley rider with open pipes of the impending doom lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I better go warn every Harley rider with open pipes of the impending doom lol
View Quote

If you think those bikes arent loud enough to cause hearing damage you're a fool. I wish I would not have gone the noisy route.

Want to know how i damaged my hearing? Riding with no helmet or a half helmet for years. My tinnitus is horrible and I feel like i am deaf in the presence of background noise.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:16:09 AM EDT
[#35]
The sad thing is, most people don't realize how much damage they have done to their hearing, until it's way too late.  They think their hearing is fine.  They no longer hear frequencies at levels that are continuing to cause more damage.  It's a downward spiral.  Sonic cracks not hurting is one thing, not hearing them is a sure sign you have lost hearing in that band for sure.  My father's hearing is fine, except for the discreet bands his equipment always ran at.  If there is a tone in those bands, he simply doesn't hear it, but hears everything else just fine.

You may think your hearing is fine or good enough.  You may be comfortable around sounds that a person with good hearing would suffer.  You may not give a crap.  But none of it is GOOD, it's either not or BAD.  Any jackass is free to ignore what happen to others and not give a hoot what happens to them, and that's their right.  In my experience everyone I know like that has come to sorely rue their actions down the line.  So if it does - you were warned and have no one to blame but yourself.

And concerning my comment about the 140 limit and 50-50:  All I am saying is that it is never a good idea to run at the limit of anything because there is no forgiveness, just possible punishment.  I have no clue as to how they set the 140 limit.  Everyone's body is different.  Not everyone is going to suffer the same damage from the same source level, not everyone is going to react the same, not everyone has the same exact ear, and most people who are comfortable around the high noise have already ruined their hearing long enough ago not to see what the big deal is, since they can no longer compare it with a such a blown base line.

As a kid I thought my eyesight was just fine, until I was shown how blind I was.  I suspect it is the same for hearing.

When I go to my local range, I always have extra sets of ear plugs.  I give them out for free when I see people shooting without.  I know I have saved a lot of permanent hearing damage.   A friend of mine used to ignore the hearing protection often when shooting. Loud sounds don't bother him.  Now he shoots with muffs and plugs in since he is deaf in one ear (right side from the port noise) and very hard of hearing in the other, all from shooting unprotected.  He doesn't want to lose what little he has left. He knows just cause he can't hear it, that doesn't mean it's not doing damage, he just wouldn't be able to feel it.  It's a mistake you can't undue and it's totally preventable.

I don't even dare shoot without eye protection either.  My friends are instructed to yell at me if they catch me doing it.  Ever since I had a poorly timed cylinder next to me spit lead that came millimeters from my eye, I've always worn them.  I don't consider either eye a spare.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:34:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The sad thing is, most people don't realize how much damage they have done to their hearing, until it's way too late.  They think their hearing is fine.  They no longer hear frequencies at levels that are continuing to cause more damage.  It's a downward spiral.  Sonic cracks not hurting is one thing, not hearing them is a sure sign you have lost hearing in that band for sure.  My father's hearing is fine, except for the discreet bands his equipment always ran at.  If there is a tone in those bands, he simply doesn't hear it, but hears everything else just fine.

You may think your hearing is fine or good enough.  You may be comfortable around sounds that a person with good hearing would suffer.  You may not give a crap.  But none of it is GOOD, it's either not or BAD.  Any jackass is free to ignore what happen to others and not give a hoot what happens to them, and that's their right.  In my experience everyone I know like that has come to sorely rue their actions down the line.  So if it does - you were warned and have no one to blame but yourself.

And concerning my comment about the 140 limit and 50-50:  All I am saying is that it is never a good idea to run at the limit of anything because there is no forgiveness, just possible punishment.  I have no clue as to how they set the 140 limit.  Everyone's body is different.  Not everyone is going to suffer the same damage from the same source level, not everyone is going to react the same, not everyone has the same exact ear, and most people who are comfortable around the high noise have already ruined their hearing long enough ago not to see what the big deal is, since they can no longer compare it with a such a blown base line.

As a kid I thought my eyesight was just fine, until I was shown how blind I was.  I suspect it is the same for hearing.

When I go to my local range, I always have extra sets of ear plugs.  I give them out for free when I see people shooting without.  I know I have saved a lot of permanent hearing damage.  A friend of mine used to ignore the hearing protection often when shooting. Loud sounds don't bother him.  Now he shoots with muffs and plugs in since he is deaf in one ear (right side from the port noise) and very hard of hearing in the other, all from shooting unprotected. He doesn't want to lose what little he has left. He knows just cause he can't hear it, that doesn't mean it's not doing damage, he just wouldn't be able to feel it.  It's a mistake you can't undue and it's totally preventable.

I don't even dare shoot without eye protection either.  My friends are instructed to yell at me if they catch me doing it.  Ever since I had a poorly timed cylinder next to me spit lead that came millimeters from my eye, I've always worn them.  I don't consider either eye a spare.

View Quote

Same story with a co-worker. Shot all the time, never had a problem. Big-bore handguns, etc. Then one day he was out shooting his .44, and that was it. Everything sounded "tinny" when he got home, and he never heard the same. He now wears hearing aids in both ears and still can't hear people talking to him sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#37]
So just to summarize, rock concerts, loud motorcycle exhausts, headphones turned up too loud, car stereo cranked up, all have dire consequences, you have been warned
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I run a specwar 5.56 and don't use ear pro with it. I wouldn't suggest doing a mag dump, but slow shooting with it is fine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I run a specwar 5.56 and don't use ear pro with it. I wouldn't suggest doing a mag dump, but slow shooting with it is fine.
View Quote

A full-auto mag-dump would actually damage your ears less than slowly going through the whole mag.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

What's fine about it?  That your hearing is poor enough it doesn't bother you?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:14:44 AM EDT
[#41]
my hearing is definitely not great, esp with background noise...  it was one of two things, loud car stereo on 2 hr trips back and forth between home and college or thousands of rimfire rounds through a Model 60 Marlin without hearing protection.

I suspect it was both.

But 25 years ago, hardly anyone wore ear pro when shooting rimfire through a rifle.  And yes today I really don't feel the need to wear ear pro when shooting a 22 rimfire through a rifle or 5.56 through a can...  However, I usually try to so I can keep what I have.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have any hearing problems and it doesn't bother me at all. It's when you start dumping rounds through it, it becomes uncomfortable. Most of my shots are in open fields shooting at creatures of the night or hogs. So we are talking 2-3 shots at a time max.

Picture of the culprit.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So just to summarize, rock concerts, loud motorcycle exhausts, headphones turned up too loud, car stereo cranked up, all have dire consequences, you have been warned
View Quote

you forgot not wearing bicycle helmets, ooooo and cigarettes BE AFRAID
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just glad that I can see a replacement for all the 'Boomers. Healthcare will be juuust fine!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...yeah.

I used to think gun owners were more intelligent than the rest of the population, but this thread put that theory to bed.

Enjoy your hearing loss and lung cancer. Shooting without hearing protection is idiotic unless your life depends on it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well...yeah.

I used to think gun owners were more intelligent than the rest of the population, but this thread put that theory to bed.

Enjoy your hearing loss and lung cancer. Shooting without hearing protection is idiotic unless your life depends on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...yeah.

enjoy being an old geezer waiting for the slow inevitable decay and debasement of gay ass natural causes
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well...yeah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...yeah.

ok!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well...yeah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...yeah.

Okay, I have a project for you. Go to your local range and look at where the bullet holes are. Look around you. Look at the partitions. Gun-owners are no-smarter than non-gun owners, IMO. They just choose to own guns. As a whole. Now you know why I won't often to to a public range
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Okay, I have a project for you. Go to your local range and look at where the bullet holes are. Look around you. Look at the partitions. Gun-owners are no-smarter than non-gun owners, IMO. They just choose to own guns. As a whole. Now you know why I won't often to to a public range
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...yeah.

I don't shoot at public ranges unless it's clays.

I will qualify my earlier statement and say that if you're hunting with a suppressor, I completely understand not wearing hearing protection while you sit in a field for 12 hours waiting for deer to show up. But recreational shooting without hearing protection remains idiotic. I put a couple hundred rounds downrange when I go shooting, and I double up on hearing protection either in the form of can + muffs or plugs + muffs. This myth that it's fine to expose yourself to extremely loud sounds on a regular basis needs to die. It's misleading and dangerous for people to read that who don't know any better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#50]
the electronic muffs i wear actually enhance hearing and amplify sounds. would be excellent for hunting, you would hear way better than normal.
Page / 3
Top Top