Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 7:15:19 PM EDT
So here's the deal: I'm 5' 4.75" (yeah, I'm going to use decimal inches), about 120-130lbs, and I need a chest rig that I can wear without armor.  I swim around in medium men's clothing, and given a 27 inch waist, I'm occasionally reduce to shopping in the "young adults" section. I'm mainly looking for somewhere to keep my mags at this point.  I'm also looking to solve this issue for around $200 with mag pouches.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So here's the deal: I'm 5' 4.75" (yeah, I'm going to use decimal inches), about 120-130lbs, and I need a chest rig that I can wear without armor.  I swim around in medium men's clothing, and given a 27 inch waist, I'm occasionally reduce to shopping in the "young adults" section. I'm mainly looking for somewhere to keep my mags at this point.  I'm also looking to solve this issue for around $200 with mag pouches.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Eat more food?  That works for me, I have plenty of "tactical girth"

Most chest rigs adjust, found this one in 2 seconds... http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-AO-Small-Chest-Rig-p/hsg.550.htm

Just get some double mag pouches, even the smallest rigs should hold 2-3 double pouches, that's 4 to 6 mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure I can cinch that down over my furniture-less frame?  Otherwise, that looks great, and thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Tactical Tailor Mini MAV. It would fit you without issue.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure you'll want armor someday. :)
For $100 you can get the US Palm Defender AR15 version (without the armor and it includes 3 single ar15 magazine pouches and 1 pistol pouch
For $200 you can get the same thing with front Level IIIA armor. You can buy a back panel later if you want.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
+1

Great piece of gear and would be like a full size rig considering you size.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, man, that us palm is freakin' sweet.  Does anyone know if I could fit a rifle plate (level III, don't think I'll be taking AP rounds at any point) in there once I can afford it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
+1  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1  

Shit, I'm nearly twice his size and I can fit everything I need except my pistol and its mags on it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but you NEED to start a diet and heavy compound lifts. If you're training for defense your size is going to be a major disadvantage and fitness should really be a key goal in any defensive training.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but you NEED to start a diet and heavy compound lifts. If you're training for defense your size is going to be a major disadvantage and fitness should really be a key goal in any defensive training.
View Quote

Your statement is total  nonsense in regards to fitness.

Bruce Lee weighed between 125 -135 lbs. His major disadvantage was what again ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bruce Lee was'nt running around tactical gear. Take it from me, I was Marine Infantry. You will want some weight on you. When if the time comes and you need to go long periods without proper food and sleep you will need reserves to go off of. I was 5'9" 120 lbs going through Infantry school and no fat reserves when it came time to on final exercise with only 2 full MRE's for 5 days. There was times I would be seeing stars because I had nothing to go off of.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Tag for shrimp info.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that where he started? Didn't he decide to go up to like 150 because he was getting tossed like a rag doll by less skilled big people?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Strong people are harder to kill and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not everyone can gain weight. I didn't break 120 until I hit my 20's. I would eat constantly, plus did construction during every school break since I was 13. And lived on a cow farm. Now that I am in my mid 30's I am having to watch what I eat because the pounds are coming easy. Not everyone can get the usual gains from diet and exercise, and the little skinny guy you look down on my very well be a tough SOB.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not everyone can gain weight. I didn't break 120 until I hit my 20's. I would eat constantly, plus did construction during every school break since I was 13. And lived on a cow farm. Now that I am in my mid 30's I am having to watch what I eat because the pounds are coming easy. Not everyone can get the usual gains from diet and exercise, and the little skinny guy you look down on my very well be a tough SOB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Genetics certainly plays a part, but you are not going to be adding considerable mass by working construction or doing farm work. Weight training is going to get you bigger, not endurance training.

And, OP, a fitness regimen should be the foundation of your preparedness planning.  I've been at it for years and it's still a task, but a worthwhile one most certainly. To bring it around to your question, the MAV would be a great chest rig that would stick around while you change yourself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#15]
And back to his Question............

I would recommend a Streamlined chest rig such as the TT offered above. Also look at the Esstac Iberian. I am a huge fanboy of them, see my write up here (click on me). Small enough for you and also can be adapted to fit directly to a PC in the future. Plus they come with 4 x M4 mag pouches, 2 x Pistol Pouches all with Kywi's and an IFAK, all for an amazing price.
Also always check the EE first for any of these Items.
cp
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm just going to throw this out there: I was about 150 as of 10 years ago.  I started rock climbing and mountain biking, then BOOM 115.  Now I'm far stronger than I ever have been, and my bmi is on the low end of healthy.  I said I was small, not weak.  I still do a lot of rock climbing, but that's about as much working out as I can manage between full time biochemistry curriculum and full time "chefing".

All that said, I wouldn't be opposed to incorporating real weight training into my day-to-day.  My biggest problem is I don't even know where to start.  So, if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, anyone have any ideas/links/whatever else that I could use to get started?  I do have access to a university gym, but I feel like it would just be a waste of time to go in there without a real plan.

Also, thanks to everyone for your gear suggestions and advice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
My advice would be to find a trainer. My workout is tailored to me. I'd be happy to deliver the details, but I'm guessing you and I are very different. What works for me may not be the best for you. Cardio's great, but resistance training is going to both add muscle mass and strengthen your skeleton, the latter of which you'll appreciate when you don't have osteoporosis when yer an old fart. It appears cardio is not your issue. ]

As for the chest rig, what are you looking to put on it?

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm just going to throw this out there: I was about 150 as of 10 years ago.  I started rock climbing and mountain biking, then BOOM 115.  Now I'm far stronger than I ever have been, and my bmi is on the low end of healthy.  I said I was small, not weak.  I still do a lot of rock climbing, but that's about as much working out as I can manage between full time biochemistry curriculum and full time "chefing".

All that said, I wouldn't be opposed to incorporating real weight training into my day-to-day.  My biggest problem is I don't even know where to start.  So, if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, anyone have any ideas/links/whatever else that I could use to get started?  I do have access to a university gym, but I feel like it would just be a waste of time to go in there without a real plan.

Also, thanks to everyone for your gear suggestions and advice.
View Quote

I'll send you some links/give you some tips on weight training and putting some mass on when I'm back on a computer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top