I started out with this, but decided I wanted less black, so I took it upon myself to paint the furniture to match the rest of the shotgun. The tan on the shotgun now is duracoat.
I'm using Rustoleum so that if I don't like the new look, I can fix it easily enough.
Well, coming down the homestretch, I touch checked the paint and it seemed dry enough, so I rolled it over to the other side and gave the parts a final blast. Unfortunately, when I went to get them the side that felt dry was now stuck to the newspaper I laid down and the paint peeled off when I tried to remove it.
I guarantee I'm the only idiot sitting on his balcony stripping the paint off of his shotgun tonight. I decided I needed to come inside for a break since I was sweating my tail off outside and the mosquitoes were eating me alive.
So, lessons learned:
- This is not a quick project, take your time and do it right.
- Rustoleum does generally come off of smooth surfaces very easily.
- There are a lot more little crevices in handguards, grips and folding assemblies where it doesn't come off easily.
- Buy more paint thinner than you expect to use .
Hopefully y'all can learn from my mistakes. I'll post pics up when I finally get it done.
I have the hardest time waiting between coats of paint to finish and finally reassemble my hardware. It takes will power and something to keep me occupied so I can wait long enough.
That's why we hang the parts. If your parts where hanging from a hanger or something, you wouldn't have had that problem. Just trying to help, but a few minutes to hang sure makes life easier.