Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 6:14:21 PM EDT
I started out with this, but decided I wanted less black, so I took it upon myself to paint the furniture to match the rest of the shotgun.  The tan on the shotgun now is duracoat.

I'm using Rustoleum so that if I don't like the new look, I can fix it easily enough.  

Well, coming down the homestretch, I touch checked the paint and it seemed dry enough, so I rolled it over to the other side and gave the parts a final blast.  Unfortunately, when I went to get them the side that felt dry was now stuck to the newspaper I laid down and the paint peeled off when I tried to remove it.  

I guarantee I'm the only idiot sitting on his balcony stripping the paint off of his shotgun tonight.  I decided I needed to come inside for a break since I was sweating my tail off outside and the mosquitoes were eating me alive.  

So, lessons learned:  

- This is not a quick project, take your time and do it right.
- Rustoleum does generally come off of smooth surfaces very easily.
- There are a lot more little crevices in handguards, grips and folding assemblies where it doesn't come off easily.  
- Buy more paint thinner than you expect to use .

Hopefully y'all can learn from my mistakes.  I'll post pics up when I finally get it done.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the hardest time waiting between coats of paint to finish and finally reassemble my hardware. It takes will power and something to keep me occupied so I can wait long enough.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:04:44 AM EDT
[#2]
That's why we hang the parts.  If your parts where hanging from a hanger or something, you wouldn't have had that problem.  Just trying to help, but a few minutes to hang sure makes life easier.

DBAR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top