Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 8:12:12 AM EDT
I am a junior shooter and my mom wants to get her own carry pistol. How is the 5.7 as a carry gun? The reason I am considering it is because of its light recoil for what it accomplishes and its 20 round magazine. Does anyone reccomend it? I have never shot it but I plan to do so once I spot one on the range.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the FN Five-seveN "Enough-Gun?"

Six pages of info in the link above.

-DmL
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
have you seen the size of that handgun?  unless shes got a fullsize purse or is a large woman, dont do it.

get her a keltec, glock, kahr.  be realistic.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the 5.7 is a pretty big gun.  Most women would probably not feel comfortable with it, and it would not be easy to conceal (except in a large purse).
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am a junior shooter and my mom wants to get her own carry pistol. How is the 5.7 as a carry gun? The reason I am considering it is because of its light recoil for what it accomplishes and its 20 round magazine. Does anyone reccomend it? I have never shot it but I plan to do so once I spot one on the range.

I hate to say this, but with ammo at .50 a round and up, I don't intend to let anyone else shoot mine, unless they buy the rounds.  This is the only weapon with which I have this little policy.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate to say this, but with ammo at .50 a round and up, I don't intend to let anyone else shoot mine, unless they buy the rounds.  This is the only weapon with which I have this little policy.

I will keep all of what you all said in mind. We can find something else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Find a place that has a keltec P3AT. It comes in .380 or .32 but I have the .380. Very light gun and easily conceilable. I bet she would love it. It doesnt have a safety but has a 5lb trigger pull.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
keltec. Small, light economic.

Or get a Lady smith.

or beretta auto in .380

or a walther ppk .380

Can she handle 9mm? Go for the most powerful cartridge she can handle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Women's fashion don't lend themselves easily to concealing large frame handguns.

If she can conceal it (I do NOT consider a purse to be a good way to conceal a weapon),  and can hit what she wants with it, and is comfortable with the Five-seveN, then sure it'll do fine.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:33:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone can post a pic of this 5.7 pistol. Never seen one TIA WD
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Many, MANY much better choices for CCW then the 5.7.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Anyone can post a pic of this 5.7 pistol. Never seen one TIA WD

By the way, here's a little secret for getting info on stuff............

GOOGLE
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#12]
G-26

practice head shots w/ the cheaper ammo
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
G-26

practice head shots w/ the cheaper ammo

I like the G26. Recently I had the chance to fire a Kahr 9mm. My problem was my paws were too big for the gun and I had trouble controlling the recoil because I couldn't get a good grip. I've had no such problems with the 26.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Find a place that has a keltec P3AT. It comes in .380 or .32 but I have the .380. Very light gun and easily conceilable. I bet she would love it. It doesnt have a safety but has a 5lb trigger pull.

I have a P3AT , I don't recommend it for a someone that is recoil sensitive .
When I shoot it , it never jams , but when I let my daughter shoot it , it jams
on almost every round . I've watched closely to see if she is limp wristing it , and
it doesn't appear that she is . the only thing I see is that it muzzle flips much
more with her then when I shoot it .

I traded a P32 for the P3AT , the P32 never jammed , no matter who shot it .
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone considering the 5.7 needs to read this thread on Tactical Forums. Lots of good information by one of the worlds preeminent terminal ballistics experts. www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000768;p=1

The 5.7 lacks sufficient penetration. The new SS196 will not penetrate any soft armor, and has similar energy and velocity to a .22 magnum. Last I heard, no one recommends a .22 Magnum as a serious carry weapon.

There are MANY far better choices out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top