Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2002 6:42:01 PM EDT
My brother turned 18 on Sunday and on Monday he picked up an Imbel FAL.  We haven't fired the thing, but wow! it's so easy to strip and looks like it's a breeze to clean.  Seems like an awesome rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Capro, no insult intened..., but ! what makes a FAL so great ?? from what i seen of them they are ugly ! appear to be a nightmare to maintain, they have termite food on them, far too heavy &...., did i mention ugly ? hey
but you fellows have fun enjoy...., & above all...., be safe !!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it's ugly.  It seems like it will be extremely easy to clean.  Why do you say they are a nightmare to maintain?  Termite food?
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
From a neutral standpoint, FAL's are cooler.  They are easier to clean/field strip than a AR15, more intimidating, more powerful (308 vs 223) and just all around more fun and punishing to shoot.  308 in full auto will ring your bell.

BTW, is that a autosear hole in your AR?
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]

BTW, is that a autosear hole in your AR?

Looks like a happy switch to me!
10-X
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I fired my first FAL at an AR15 shoot last summer and was immediately convinced I wanted one.  Now an owner, I'll say it has surpassed my expectations for reliability, low recoil, ease of cleaning, and accuracy.  I can definately see advantages to this type of more powerful rifle/cartidge over the AR and vise versa.  Ammo is cheap for these now also.  I am looking forward to serious plinking once the weather gets better.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm working on my FAL now, got the kit (Imbel) from Dan's www.falparts.com/  good quality.  Next step is to get an Imbel receiver  
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
What exactly is an autosear hole?  And I'm pretty sure I don't have one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
That small dark spot directly above the selector, looks like the end of a pin where an auto sear would go. It looks the same as the ends of the trigger and hammer pins, too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless that's a Colt sear block pin? I never saw one up close so I don't know where exactly it goes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
My rifle is a Colt Match HBAR 6601.  So maybe it is one of those sear block pin things.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats a blind pin for the lower receiver block. A sear hole is much smaller in diameter. I have several FALs and I love them. They are beautiful rifles, are a breeze to maintain and are only heavy if you are weak. As far as "termite food" I haven't seen wood on a FAL in quite some time. I think I'll have to pick up a walnut stock set from DSA, that should make a beautiful rifle absolutely gorgeous!

BTW: I have a stable of ARs and they are beautiful also. If you want an ugly gun, you can't go wrong with a STEN.

Edited because I r thu produkt uf tu publik edukayshun sistum.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 4:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a purist Garand lover, and only started acquiring AR's late in life. (Originally, they reminded me too much of Planet of the Apes.)

The FAL I was REALLY NOT interested in, as it isn't even an American issue rifle.

But I kept hearing good things about them, and I finally plunked my money down on a DSA STg58A.

Best battle rifle I've ever bought.

Integrated bipod, $8 mags, .308 power, more manageable recoil that either the M1 or the M1A, better overall total package.

Then I took it to the range. Lemme just put it this way - find me another battle rifle, for $800, that can produce 3+ inch groups with surplus ammo at 200 yards.

Its the real deal, baby.

In short, before I owned it, I did NOT want to like the FAL. Now, its one of my favorites. Of all the stuff I own, if I want a .30 cal, the FAL is it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#13]
If y'all like FAL's - here's a chance to win one for $10 . . . .

In order to defray increasing costs we are holding a raffle for an FAL
type self loading rifle. This is a South African R1 built on an  Imbel
receiver with a DSA hammer, trigger, sear, pistol grip, and gas piston,
and an Entreprise Zero Climb brake. For those who do not wish to use US
component magazines, we will include a US made buttstock. The gun still
sports it's original finish (or lack thereof!) but will be moly-resin
refinished in one of several colors at the choice of the winner prior to
delivery. Must be sent to a valid FFL.

Raffle tickets will cost $10.00 each, and may be purchased by cash,
check, money order, or credit card using PayPal . You may buy as many as
you like, but no more that 1,000 tickets will be sold. Drawing will be
held on April 1, 2002.

To enter and purchase tickets see:
http://www.cruffler.com/Sales/FALRaffle.html#

(And yes, we heard your comments last time, so tickets can be purchased
entirely on line, no snail mail necessary!)

If you have any questions, please email [email protected]

Thanks and best of luck!

Adam Firestone
Editor-in-Chief
CRUFFLER.COM
http://www.cruffler.com
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#14]
What?!?!? no wood!?!??!

FALs are pretty in wood...

Yummmmmmm!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#15]
FAL..such a wide price range on them. what's the best for the money ( receiver ect. )also what do you know about the CETME? what builder and receiver is the best??
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought my raffle ticket.  Did I win yet?
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Capro, no insult intened..., but ! what makes a FAL so great ?? from what i seen of them they are ugly ! appear to be a nightmare to maintain, they have termite food on them, far too heavy &...., did i mention ugly ?

Since posting this, have you had a chance to inspect an FAL? The "nightmare to maintain" comment is interesting. I've owned a Poly Tech AK and the FAL is easier to clean and fieldstrip. Just release the locking lever and both halves swing open. Out pops the bolt/carrier. If you remove the dustcover, you have good access to the chamber and breech face. There are a lot less small parts than an AR and it's more ergonomic than an HK 91/G3/CETME. Weight? Put an alloy lower and an 18" barrel makes it downright handy. Most people think FALs feel good and shoulder well. As far as looks, to each his own but I think it looks great.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Shot a buddy's IMBEL FAL this last weekend.  I wanted to see what she would do, so he mounted a 10X scope on a DSA dust cover scope mount, and shot Winchester match --- easily 1MOA or better (5 shot groups 100 yards).  Shot a couple 1 inch groups (3 shots 100yards) with British surplus, but most of the surplus was 2 - 2 1/2 MOA.

I was VERY impressed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:04:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Cactus....you must be joking. They don't call the FAL "The right arm of the free world" for nothing! Also they are in another league from ARs as they are called MBR(MAIN BATTLE RIFLES). I love my ARs but my FAL rocks. Remember...... that which is cover for .223 is merely concealment for .308.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:49:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Wood -

No wood (but very EBR) -

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:50:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I just got the FAL jones myself.  Got a DSA G1 kit with a sweet bore, completely refinished to boot, for about $200 shipped.  Added an Imbel receiver along with the dreaded 7 parts (actually 6, I don't have a muzzle device, all DSA) and an ARMS #3 optics mount for about $500 more.  Now I just have to put the whole thing together!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#22]
DavidC, What make/model is the bottom all black one you have? Its exactly what I want. STg58A?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I have 4 ARs and one FAL.  If I am going to purchase/build another weapon, the FAL will be the one!

You just get the feeling that you are shooting a real rifle when the FAL is in your hands.  Don't get me wrong, I love the ARs, but if you want to really beat something to death, then you have to get a FAL.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Hawkeye -

That's an StG-58 kit built on an Imbel receiver. Stock, scope mount receiver cover, PG and FH from Tapco , FSE H/T/S, DSA detachable bipod.

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd sure love to buy a FAL...

but first I'd have to block off the magazine to 10 rounds and weld it onto the receiver.

I can't wait to get out of this state.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
In short, before I owned it, I did NOT want to like the FAL. Now, its one of my favorites. Of all the stuff I own, if I want a .30 cal, the FAL is it.

Heresy!  Blasphemy!  Should we be calling you FALman?

Just kidding, I recently acquired a FAL and I love it.  This rifle is really having a renaissance in the US, which is awesome.

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#27]
"but first I'd have to block off the magazine to 10 rounds and weld it onto the receiver."

minion82,

Arizona Response Systems sells a Kalifornia legal FAL if you're desparate to get one.  See www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

--------------

FALs are great, but let me caution you.  If you start building them you will become hopelessly addicted.  I own 3 of the things and have 4 kits in various stages of construction.  I'm thinking about trying to find a 12-step program.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Well despite all the bad press OlyArms had gotten on their T48 Fal , I went ahead and got one , something about being able to reach out and touch someone at a range getter than my AR ; easier to take down than my Cetme ; sexier looking than my SAR-1 ... excuse me I think I need a cigarette , back in a moment .... Ok better now , and Marvl I'm willing to help by being willing to take a couple of your kits off your hands
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#29]
What Garandman said!

After buying an DSA STG58A myself, I've moved my AR-15's further back in the safe so they're not in the way when I want to take the FAL out.

Being able to hit your target w/o having to be concerned as much about how the wind is blowing is another advantage of 308 vs. 223.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#30]
FAL's are ok, coupla things need to be changed before they meet the standards.
1. Grip must be replaced with a ergo grip that doesn't have that stupid angle to it.
2. Rear sight replaced with adjustable L1A1 with the larger peep.

After that, they rock.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#31]
OLD style L1A1

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#32]
After quite a bit of research I just ordered the DSA FAL from Dixie Ammo Dump.  All things considered it seemed the best way to go especially if the anit-gun nuts get their way. In other words if it will be my only FAL I want it to be a good one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I got the itch bad and went the cheap route first and bought a Century.  It's now at AZEX getting a redo plus a couple of other things.

I had my FFL order a DSA STG58A back in October.
After getting the run around I had to threaten him with small claims court to get my deposit back.  Now I need a new FFL so I can start waiting all over again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Shooting a Canadian FN some 12 years ago gave me my gun lust!  It took me 8 years, but I finally got me an original Argentine FN and love it. Once you shoot one, you'll always want one!  Don't fight the temptation any longer, get yourself one of these jewels and you'll understand what I'm talking about.  For details on FNs, try www.fnfal.com .
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Yep...FALs are cool alright. Someone here once said, "IF the AR is an Evil Black Rifle, then the FAL was designed by Satan himself"hought
http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000027302/1000027302_122200242308PM0.9838765.jpg

I like all flavors, but I'm most partial to a metric para.

qwezxc12
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Got a Century today. Impulse buy I guess. Was it a good buy for starters? I only want to scope it and shoot it, then get some wood for it. Please tell me I did not get a piece of crap!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I did the same thing as DarkNite.  I bought a G1 FAL kit from DSA for $130 with the $40 refinish option.  The refinish option including new handguards was surely worth the price as there is no Cosmo.  It may not be the best or most durable finish but is adequate.

We got the Imbel upper receiver from FAC for $190 (for two at a time).
My barrel looked to be in good shape but some have serious problems.

The parts count included American made Tapco piston, hammer,trigger, sear,Grip and floor plate-follower.

The rifle parts are in AZ at one of the FAL gurus for assembly and test firing. ($150) assuming no other parts are needed.  The head spacing and barrel timing I think is best left to the Pro's.

Check the FAL web site if interested.
www.FN FAL.com

Dan's is another favored supplier of kits from  South America.  High end $250--Low end $100.

My friend's FAL STG 58 kit shoots on par with his match M1A from Fulton Armory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top