Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2024 12:34:38 PM EDT
11.5" 556 AR intended to shoot 100% suppressed. Any downside to developing load with the suppressor on? I figure if this is how I'm shooting it, may as well develop that way. Seems like a no brainer to me but I was searching around for something else and ran into an old thread on a different board with a couple people saying you should NOT develop with suppressor on. fwiw I'm not competing, just having fun trying to find a good load for a new upper.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I always used to do it that way...

Then learned the hard way that sometimes you'll hit a load that isn't quite as stable as expected. In my case it resulted in a nasty baffle strike and the can having to take a trip back to the manufacturer. Now I always test a few for stability prior to putting the can on.

Could have been a freak incident, but it's definitely a lesson I only had to learn once.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I only take my cans off if the bullet is going to be borderline unstable.  I run some very heavy bullets because I cast my own and like to experiment.  I have only ever had one not fully stabilize which was a 260gr bullet for my 357 mag.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I started testing with my 5.56 can on.

I don't venture above max and watch bullet weight to twist rate.

In another caliber, or pushing upper or lower limits or casting...I would be more careful.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I would be a lot more likely to leave a can on with a middle of the road .223 load development than I am with a .300 BLK load using cast bullets where I was not sure how stable they were going to end up.

That being said- if it is a QD can, I would absolutely remove it first.  Too easy not to, serious pain in the neck if you get a baffle strike…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top