Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 10:10:59 PM EDT
Well, will they?

The YHM/SureFire type rails have the middle of each rail milled down so there is a channel running down the center...this would leave gaps where the "ladder" type covers will not be able to grip anything...

Can anyone who has this kit volunteer to be a tester?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
They work very well on the Surefire M73. In fact they come standard issue with that forend.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies! So, now I only have to make up my mind between the YHM and SureFire handguards!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the low-profile (ladder type) rail covers on my YHM 2-piece handguards and they fit just fine...but if you plan on doing alot of shooting, invest in a VG or buy some thicker rail covers. The ladder type just aren't thick enough to keep your hands from getting uncomfortably hot after a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The M73 HG is excellent except I'm trying to figure out why the TangoDown VG do not fit tightly on it. You all know that feeling, got stuck in the middle trying to figure out which of the part is out of spec.

Surefire is the mechnical genius and TangoDown VG is also excellent product. anyone has similar mating the two and do not fit correctly
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The M73 HG is excellent except I'm trying to figure out why the TangoDown VG do not fit tightly on it. You all know that feeling, got stuck in the middle trying to figure out which of the part is out of spec.

Surefire is the mechnical genius and TangoDown VG is also excellent product. anyone has similar mating the two and do not fit correctly

Just how loose is it?  Variances in the rail will result in the grip being tight or loose.  If it is a mahor problem, get in touch with TD and they will take care of it right away.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Pittwm, I feel your pain... www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=195013

You are probably having the same problem I had. That’s the bad news.

The good news is that every other VFG & accessory out there will fit on an out of spec. M73 no problem at all!

Rather than directly address my M73 problem, I simply bypassed it & I am completely satisfied with my decision.

I would suggest that you check out both the Magpul Ind. VFG & the TDI short vertical "K" grip. You can't go wrong with either & they will fit just fine!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm quite impressed with TD, they actually reply this afternoon (on Sunday) about this issue, here is their explanations:

Dear William,

Thank you for contacting us. It has come to our attention recently, that the MS-1913 rail dimensions have 'wandered' on the SureFire M73 handguard. The reason your locking bars do not engage properly is 'flash' or burrs that are hanging over into the rail crosscuts. This is caused by a dull cutter in the manufacturing process. The side -to-side play is caused by an undersized rail. The female MS-1913 interface in our vertical grip is made by a precision ground cutter that makes all angles in one cut. The dimensions can't change. The SureFire however, requires several cuts to make a complete M-S 1913 rail in place on the handguard. The possibility for dimensional change is present, unless monitored by close Quality Control. We suggest you contact SureFire for a replacement, as you will have trouble with several other products as well. I have attached a web board thread below describing issues such as yours concerning the M73. Paste the address into your browser and scroll to the bottom of the thread. Any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=197734

Sincerely,

TangoDown LLC

It's kinda hard to imagine SF puts out a product that is out of spec, they just seem so precise on their product. Then again, the M73 is prob. contract work, so there goes the QC. As to how loose the TD VG is mounted on the M73, imagine the play on a collapsible M4 stock.

I'm yet to see what SF say, but I have a feeling that it's going to be pointing fingers
Well, I think I would just save the TD for my next built, maybe I will get a LaRue 7.0
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top