Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2004 12:00:03 PM EDT
My fingers are bleeding & sweat is pouring from my body, but I just can't get the my God dammed TD VFG to seat on the rails of my Surefire M73 forend?!?!?!

It slides on easy enough, but the F'ing locking bars just won't snap in place!  

HELP!!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Here we go again...
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Bradd_D, "here we go again" what???

Surefire advertises their M73 picitinny rails as true mil. spec.

Dude, if you have something to offer, please do. If not, please spare me the sarcasm... I've got blood dripping from two of my fingers & I fucking pissed off!
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, dude, I wasn't trying to detract from your situation.  It just reminds me of a TD/YHM thread.  You can either remove a little material from the plastic bars on the TD or from the SF rail slots themselves.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have put two TD's on M73 rails without a problem. sorry for your trouble
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
NY Patriot,

We have received some SureFire M73 rail units lately that have a small burr that runs the width of the top edge of the cross cuts on the 6:00 rail. You can feel them with your fingernail or point of a small knife. That will prevent the locking bars from seating. Simply take a de-burring tool or a small jeweler's file and break that burr. That will make the world right again. The burr was caused by a dull cutter in manufacturing, and was probably replaced immediately. If you have any further problems, please let me know.

Best regards,

Jeff Cahill
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
ARMRER, thanks for the advice. I will look for the burrs that you describe come tomorrow.

If I do in fact have this problem, how exactly does one "break" a burr? I'm not mechanically inclined, and I would hate to make matters worse due to sheer ignorance. Come to think of it, if this is the problem, my first inclination is to send the lower half of my M73 back to Surefire & have them send me a replacement.  

Thanks again,

NYP
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
NYP,

No worries.

The burr was caused by a very small amount of material being 'pushed' instead of cleanly cut off the top surface of the 6:00 rail. It is actually hanging over into the cross cuts, preventing anything from properly seating there. Just remove the burr(s) by a few light passes with a sharp, fine file. Just clean up the edge, and go no further.

Take your time, examine often and your GTG.

Or...you can send it back to SureFire for a replacement. They should take care of you in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 7/17/2004 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Frankly, if the burrs are not bad, I would take the plastic off the TD grip.  I know that is sacrilige to some on here, but plastic is easy to replace.  Just a thought on the value of the aluminum vs the plastic.  I know I'm warped, but I sure don't like making something shiney when I don't have to.  Please don't spank me too hard.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Bradd_D, I just wanted to apologize for jumping down your throat earlier today.

I was fresh from an hour-long wrestling match with my M73 & TD VFG, and they won!

Best regards,

NYP

Link Posted: 7/17/2004 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel your pain brother....

I put a TD VG on my Knight RIS unit holy cow man that was a very tight fit. My fingers also bled.
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bradd_D, I just wanted to apologize for jumping down your throat earlier today.

I was fresh from an hour-long wrestling match with my M73 & TD VFG, and they won!

Best regards,

NYP

No problem, man.  I've been in the same boat with projects that just weren't going my way.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I feel your pain brother....

I put a TD VG on my Knight RIS unit holy cow man that was a very tight fit. My fingers also bled.

So it is a plastic problem not just spec parts from a manufacture . like Arms, YHM, Surefire,and Knights. If it is tight just take a file to it wear it is rubbing the most and just file it down some. I have threee on my SIRS systems and I love them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I just checked for the burrs that ARMRER described, and sure enough burrs are evident on just about every cross cut on the 6:00 & 12:00 rails. Oh well...  

Guess I'm going to have to give Surefire a call about this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#14]
May be a stupid idea, but would putting the grip in the freezer and the heating up the rail help? Have no idea of this myself.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top