BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2005 9:42:06 PM EDT
I am tossing around the idea of throwing some tan onto my M4, but am not sure if it really makes any sense to do so, and was just wondering why some of you guys did it, either aesthetically, or functionally.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
So when I carry it in the desert, I will be invisible.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#3]
To be different  and black sticks out in the woods.  OD for my Carbine and I am thinking Coyote for my rifle build
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a green bowflaged rifle once. At night you couldn't see the damn thing at arms length.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Because nothing is as conspicuous as black.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
So...tan would theoretically blend in better to ANY environment?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't add it . I bought it that way . I know that black sticks out so I felt it would be better to have a little bit of OD to blend better.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]
FALARAK, that is one sweet AR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#11]
As Lumpy stated above a complete black rifle stands out when viewed through NVG's.  In a rural enviornment during day light black also stands out.  Even painting the furniture of the gun will break up the "outline" of the gun, in a field enviornment usually the first thing you will spot is the other guy's gun (either part of it or all of it)

As a base color a darker khaki or coyote brown tends to blend in much better than the darker olive drab greens.  I have also noticed that sage green (like the color of the nomex flight suits) also blends well into most enviornments.

This gun was painted with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II Olive Drab Green.  The color is more of a sage than an olive drab:

This gun has Tango Down and VLTOR coyote furniture that I took a sniper's viel (you can also use any kind of USGI net, a laundry bag, etc to get the same pattern)

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#12]
We support diversity; therefore we have colors other than Target Indicator Black.  Has anyone painted his Trijicon?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I did it to keep up with the Jones's and to try something different.  I resisted for a long time, but the pressure became too great.  I'm in the middle of my first desert tan transformation right now.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:57:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Because black shadows/silouettes at night.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I did it to keep up with the Jones's and to try something different.  I resisted for a long time, but the pressure became too great.  I'm in the middle of my first desert tan transformation right now.

tinypic.com/17pfe0

HOW are you doing the coloring on that one. I am going back to Iraq soon and would like to use something other than spraypaint on mine this time, any ideas
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/17pfe0

HOW are you doing the coloring on that one. I am going back to Iraq soon and would like to use something other than spraypaint on mine this time, any ideas

Norrell's Moly resin, desert tan, applied with an airbrush and baked according to the enclosed directions.  The buttstock and rail covers came out very nice.  The receivers are giving me fits.  Can't seem to get it right.  The coating chips off very easily.  Probably not degreasing correctly.  Working to fix it soon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Because I'm a poser.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Because I'm a poser.  

Aren't we all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ever stumble across a deer, or a elk, or a moose, and not know they were there until it was to late?

Ever see any big game animal in the US that was black? Or green for that matter?

What color are most predators? (They want to hide)

What color are most prey animals? (They need to hide)

Brown or tan is natures first pick for camo. We can all learn something by that I think.....

This is my A2 with furniture done using Krylon Khaki ultra flat. It is awfully light or bright in color, almost to light. But I have found that it does break up the lines of the rifle quite well. I'll probably try to do a different color. (It is darker then it looks here)

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I resisted for a long time, but the pressure became too great.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I resisted for a long time, but the pressure became too great.

Yessir, I see that every time I come here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That's why Coyote is the new "Universal" color.  It even works here in evergreen New England.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/17pfe0

Norrell's Moly resin, desert tan, applied with an airbrush and baked according to the enclosed directions.  The buttstock and rail covers came out very nice.  The receivers are giving me fits.  Can't seem to get it right.  The coating chips off very easily.  Probably not degreasing correctly.  Working to fix it soon.

What is best for a stailess barrle and let me know if you get the receiver figured out thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Black AR furniture gets uncomfortably hot to hold when sitting in the sun on 100+ degree days.

I like that it breaks up the outline a little too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine is green I work in the woods.

hey didle,didle put them in the middle
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I hardly ever post, but USMC03,    

That "sage" rifle of yours is the nicest rifle I think I've ever seen!!  Not mall nija nonsense like many peoples rifles on here.    Just a solid, nice looking tactical rifle.

WELL DONE!!!

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I hardly ever post, but USMC03,    

That "sage" rifle of yours is the nicest rifle I think I've ever seen!!  Not mall nija nonsense like many peoples rifles on here.    Just a solid, nice looking tactical rifle.

WELL DONE!!!

Thank you

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brown or tan is natures first pick for camo. We can all learn something by that I think.....

This is my A2 with furniture done using Krylon Khaki ultra flat. It is awfully light or bright in color, almost to light. But I have found that it does break up the lines of the rifle quite well. I'll probably try to do a different color. (It is darker then it looks here)

I did my SP1 with Krylon flat Khaki at first, and like you found it just a little light.  I later special ordered their Sand Dune color, and it was closer to what I wanted for West Texas' dry caliche river beds.

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow, just the other night I was thinking to myself how bad ass a Coyote Brown type A1 would look.

Looks good!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Ill make you a deal.

I have a steer that needs 6 months and its ready to cut up and eat.

Ill trade you that for that there purdy rifle
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#33]
well shit, wish I didnt just plunk down money on my black VLTOR, otherwise I'd invest in some tan...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
well shit, wish I didnt just plunk down money on my black VLTOR, otherwise I'd invest in some tan...

Alumahyde II works wonders .
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

www.besthdw.com/test/sopspr.jpg

That's badass.  
I really need an SPR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why Coyote is the new "Universal" color.  It even works here in evergreen New England.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32538

What kind of scope is that?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alumahyde II works wonders .

+1 ......Aluma-Hyde II is your friend....you'll thank us later

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#38]

I just hate black... and I've shot way too much steel to think there's anything "tactical" about black, unless you want to be a "tactical target" that is easy to see.  OD green works pretty well as long as there's quite a bit of vegetation around.  "Coyote" colors (that are dark enough) seem to me to be a better alternative that sort of looks green when it's in green surroundings and looks brown when it's in brown surroundings.

I've used KG Gunkote "dark earth" and Brownells Alumahyde II "coyote".  I think Alumahyde "earth brown" will match KG "dark earth" pretty well, but haven't tried it yet.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32538

What kind of scope is that?

Looks like a Schmidt & Bender 1.1–4 x 20 CQB Police Marksman II or Zenith 1.1–4 x 24.
www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_policemarksman.shtml
or
www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_zenith.shtml

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Looks like a Schmidt & Bender 1.1–4 x 20 CQB Police Marksman II or Zenith 1.1–4 x 24.
www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_policemarksman.shtml
or
www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_zenith.shtml

It is an S&B CQB:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=210280
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#41]
For these two I have gone mostly green with some tan on my older prreban.  There is a little black on both but that is going to get fixed.

I put od green Knight rails on the bottom AR since these pics were taken.

My next build will be all coyote.
Dave
edited to add that my next build that I build for me ...after the one I am building for my daughter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I had to refinish my Colt 9mm lower due to some corrosion-long story. I had recently purchased a SA 1911 with an OD frame. I liked the look, so I refinished the Colt in the same color. It's got sort of a reverse Armalite look, OD gun with black furniture. I had thought about refinishing my Bushy in tan, but I had the OD left over so...

FYI, I bought a "Det 1" Magpul. Great stock. KG Gun Kote doesn't adhere very well. So I tried spray paint. I got the plastic primer and then some Rust-o-leum OD paint. For some reason the paint cracked, so the paint is thicker than I wanted. However, it looks pretty good. I gotta get a pic posted.

PS If anyone wants some MILSPEC OD KG Gun Kote let me know. There is only about 2 oz missing from it; that's how long it took for me to figure out it wasn't the same as their flat OD.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Only for looks...  As a civilian, I don't need camoflage per se.

how I did it <CLICK>
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I personally use the colored furniture as an extra (hopefully redundant) reminder system to keep me from sticking the wrong mags/ammo in the wrong rifles.  I use black/grey/variations thereof (urban camo, etc.) on all of my 5.56mm ARs and all of the "other" colors on my non-5.56mm ARs (e.g., Tan for my 7.62x39mm ARs, OD for my 5.45x39mm AR, Yellow for my 9mm AR, etc.).  I've never had a Coyote Brown AR, but I plan to use that on my upcoming 6.8mm SPC build.

It allows me to locate/identify/grab the non-5.56mm ARs that much quicker.  It's a little AR/OC, I admit - but it works for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Well, you could just paint the black VLTOR to match!  

I got a green collapsible M4 stock in trade for my postban but  my postban M4 was sporting black furniture.  $3 of OD Krylon later and the stock and hanguards matched (didn't paint the grip, and it looks fine that way).  I painted the handguards first but it made the stock look pea soup green, so I ended up painting it too.  

The paint has rubbed off a bit on the high spots of the front hanguards, but I still got 3/4 of the Krylon left so it is easy enough to fix.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Heres mine, Just cant bring myself to paint the PEQ2.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Heres mine, Just cant bring myself to paint the PEQ2.

Quick question 'cause I just don't know - is that velcro holding that PEQ2 on?  I've seen other pics with velcro or what even appears to be electrical tape wrapped around the IR equipment like that.  What's up with that?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd only alumahyde something if they didnt make parts in that color.

I'd rather spend the money than spray lol.

Hey, anyone know if tango down gear in Tan matches cavalry arms tan?

Tanning my A4gery may not be a bad idea...

Scott
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I use a strap to hold the pressure switch in place, I guess i need to spray to strap too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top