BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2013 1:19:42 AM EDT
Local fun store has a shitload of them for $19.95 each.  Black, with the metal feed lips. (not the clear ones)

Not that I need any more magazines...But I went ahead and bought a few of them, just because.
Have not been to the range with them yet.

Are they considered GTG by the hive?

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
They are outstanding mags! Buy me some and I'll send you cash!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 2:07:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Best mags currently on the market.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Damn!... I guess I will buy some more, then.

I was leery of them, because the local shop has quite a few of them, and they are priced lower than the pmags. (Which they also have a bunch of).
They have a big box full of Orlites too...but I know those are crap.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:05:56 AM EDT
[#4]
They are so good I traded seven for eight PMAGs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I only have a few but they perform well. They are the same quality as Pmag's in my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:17:51 AM EDT
[#6]
They are awesome!
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#7]
get both

very good stuff IMO.
not better, not worse than Pmags... Just a different way to improve a magazine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:42:12 AM EDT
[#8]
$19.95?

BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They work great for me. I wanted black and got smoke. And I didn't even know at the time they make other colors.

So far my limited 5.56 mag experience in order of preference:

Lancer L5 AWM
Pmag
Tapco
GI
Troy Battle

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I would buy them in a heart beat.  I like the lancers better than PMags.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#10]
not as good as pmags  but 2nd best
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This statement is backwards.

The durability of a polymer mag with the reliability of metal feed lips.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Be aware of what you're buying! The L5 is the original Lancer mag. These are translucent 'smoke' color and are good mags. The later 'Advanced Warfighter Magazine' has some improvements and come in several translucent colors plus several opaque colors. Generally, the translucent AWM mags are the most expensive with the original L5 mags the cheapest. They all have steel feed lips. Fortunately, the I.D. is cast into the side of the mags; L5 or L5 AWM. The translucent AWMs are very hard to find right now. I bought two trans-brown ones last year direct from Lancer for something like $30 each, but I want more after seeing them. Here's the L5 AWM trans-brown and the L5.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I have two and love them.  Most of mine are Magpul MagLevels.   I have never had an issue with either.   I like the translucent mag because it is easier to see exactly what the remaining rounds are EXCEPT when they get inside the magwell.  That is an advantage to MagLevel.  I guess this means my first choice is MagLevel, second is Lancer translucent, and third is Pmag. FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Be aware of what you're buying! The L5 is the original Lancer mag. These are translucent 'smoke' color and are good mags. The later 'Advanced Warfighter Magazine' has some improvements and come in several translucent colors plus several opaque colors. Generally, the translucent AWM mags are the most expensive with the original L5 mags the cheapest. They all have steel feed lips. Fortunately, the I.D. is cast into the side of the mags; L5 or L5 AWM. The translucent AWMs are very hard to find right now. I bought two trans-brown ones last year direct from Lancer for something like $30 each, but I want more after seeing them. Here's the L5 AWM trans-brown and the L5.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/Guns/DSC01103.jpg

They are L5 AWM magazines... Exactly like the one on the left, in your picture, (except they are opaque black).

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
My favorite polymer mag :) I like them better than magpul
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Best magazines around, but pricey.

Hard to find an deals on them when not many people carry them so you end up paying full price
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay... I went back, and bought 6 more.
(My mistake, they were $19.99, not $19.95)

I guess I truly am a magazine hoarder... I now have almost 200 USGI mags, 15 Pmags.... and now, 11 Lancers.  

Here is the 5 I bought the other day, with the 6 I brought home Today:
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#20]
If I were you, I'd buy as many of those AWMs as I could afford.  They are the shit.  IMHO, much better than Pmags.  Flame suit on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Another Lancer fan here. Although, nothing wrong, period, with P mags. My truck AR has a 20 rnd. Pmag in it-- my home AR beside my bed has a 20 rnd. Lancer L5 in it. After many 1,000 of rounds downrange through both--- put either in your rifle and be GTG I also have never had so much as a bobble after shooting several seasons of NRA Highpower through 20 rnd Colt mags. [ NHMTG ] ---[ Okay ] We have the good fortune of having some really good quality mags on the market,,,,
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Good call on the L5 AWM's.  Buy all you can!  I've got original L5's, AWM's, and pretty much every PMag, EMag, Troy, and GI mag known to man.  PMags and L5 AWM's are my go-to mags.  Zero problems with either.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#23]
In my experience (don't have too many rounds thru one yet) they seem to run the same as GI or Pmags.

Ram
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:54:58 AM EDT
[#24]
They're great mags. I prefer PMAG's because they load to 30 a bit easier and lock in quite a bit easier, but it's undeniable that the AWM's are tougher than the Gen II and Gen I PMAG's. I'd say PMAG's are a 9.5/10 and AWM's are a 9.49/10. USGI is a 5/10. Troy's are a 8.5/10. E-Landers are a 7/10. HK's are a 7.5/10.

This concludes my very unscientific opinionated rating system.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Got some L5 AWM translucent smoke mags today and first impressions aren't great.

Things I don't like:
The feed lips are very thin (compared to aluminum and steel AR15 mags)
The top of the mag flexes a lot both whem unloaded and loaded
The follower binds a bit
The rounds touch the front of the mag
It doesn't positively "click" in when inserting
It seems like the rounds would bw more prone to popping out of the top

Not sure if any of these will affect function but the "feel" of aluminum mags with anti tilt followers and PMags is better. On a positive, they are not hard to seat with 30 rounds and the translucent part is awesome. Function testing is next.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Agreed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got some L5 AWM translucent smoke mags today and first impressions aren't great.

Things I don't like:
The follower binds a bit

Not sure if any of these will affect function but the "feel" of aluminum mags with anti tilt followers and PMags is better. On a positive, they are not hard to seat with 30 rounds and the translucent part is awesome. Function testing is next.

Sounds like you are trying to find something to not like.

Flexing > Fracturing
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things I don't like:
The follower binds a bit

Sounds like you are trying to find something to not like.

Flexing > Fracturing

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess. If the mags are reliable, durable, and long lasting it won't matter but that is what I see right now. There are negatives for every mag type. Hopefully these will fill a need for my use (good mag that allows you to quickly tell how many rounds you have left).
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Things I don't like:
The follower binds a bit

David Fortier noticed the same things at the start of his famous or infamous SGN article.  It was one of two UNscientific magazine durability tests that I am aware of.  The Lancer was the only magazine he couldn't break.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Things I don't like:
The follower binds a bit

Where'd you find them?
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know if Lancers are "The Best" however, they certainly have earned a reputation for durability and reliability.  Better than P-Mags? maybe.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things I don't like:
The follower binds a bit

Back ordered from DSG Arms. A few people posted in the tacked thread about a few places that got them in stock recently.

Where'd you find them?

Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I really like the L5 AWM mags.  I managed to buy four just before Sandy Hook happened.

Wish I could get more. Hopefully in time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I like them.  Them and pmags are my go to.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I got three 20 rounders from PSA a month or so ago. No issues so far, I give 'em a thumbs up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This. They are awesome mags. The original L5's are great mags also, but the AWM made a great made a great design even better IMHO. Lancer mags of any type are GTG. I've got about 23 AWM's and a pile of L5's.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#39]
The Lancer baseplate is ALMOST flush with the body.  It's about half a millimeter wider on each edge.  The Pmag baseplate is significantly bigger, which can introduce problems inserting and extracting from pouches when the baseplates are forced into the groves of other Pmags.  The Lancers are much closer to a USGI profile, and they seem lighter than a Pmag but I never weighed one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow after reading this thread I am excited to try the 3 AWMs I ordered on 3/5. They will be here Friday and were 18.95 each with free shipping
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Awesome mags, even the older gen L5A's. In some ways have benefits/advantage over PMags and in some ways PMags have better advantage/benefits.

The only problem I personally have with Lancers, both L5A and L5 AWM (and the PMag Gen2/MOE), is the ribbing and baseplates in that I would have to use aftermarket MOLLE mag pouches. Many aftermarket MOLLE mag pouches are also USGI, but they're easily 3-4 times what it costs compared to the standard mil-surplus USGI MOLLE mag pouch, NIW.

BTW, I believe in carrying my AR with a LBV rig. IMHO, there's no point to shouldering/slinging an AR without an LBV holding at least 6-7 loaded AR mags plus at least 2 spare pistol mags, dump pouch, and smartphone/radio pouch, among other gear.

Well guess what? Lancers almost need one MOLLE pouch per mag, which means 6-7 $10-$15 pouches.  Forget THAT!  I have never been able to fit two L5's into a USGI Dual Mag MOLLE pouch, of any of the NSN's out there. They fit fine in a single mag MOLLE pouch, a dual mag version (yeah, but only one mag!!!), or a 3 mag shingle (w/3 mags).  It's about cost and space efficiency, because your chest is only so big and you can only fit so many pouches...sure you can stack pouches but now you're adding dead weight. You've got enough to carry when you're all rigged up and bugged out.

Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#42]
I got some of these today in translucent smoke. I had not seen one personally before. They are awesome and now my favorite magazines.....even better than a PMAG (IMHO).
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I love my. They are a great mag.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I just picked up a couple translucent smoke and really like them!  IMO they are GTG!
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I love my AWM's.  They don't feel as rigid as PMags, but they're definitly tough.  I like the ability to see how much ammo I have in my mag, I like the steel feedlips, I like the light weight and I like the slim design.  I don't like that it won't fit in my FS2K, but that's a minor complaint, I have GI mags for that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I just got some in the mail, took one out and immediately threw it on the ground stood on it and bounced.  Didn't hear any cracking or anything.  So far so good  True story.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Good mags
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#48]
I opted to make Lancer's my dedicated .300 blackout mag (I can tell the difference in low light between them and all other mags that I own,  so I don't try to feed the wrong ammo into a gun ),  and I have gotten only limited trigger time with them so far, but...

They feed well, and I've had zero issues with firing them.
My only complaint is the spring noise.  If I pick one up,  I can hear it.  If I touch it,  I hear it.  They sound like USGI's,  where as PMAGs do not have this issue.

It's a small complaint,  and it's the only thing I dislike...  So while they haven't *yet* proven themselves to be better than PMAGs in my use,  I have no qualms with trusting one in a situation where my life was at risk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My only complaint is the spring noise.  If I pick one up,  I can hear it.  If I touch it,  I hear it.  They sound like USGI's,  where as PMAGs do not have this issue.

It's a small complaint,  and it's the only thing I dislike...  So while they haven't *yet* proven themselves to be better than PMAGs in my use,  I have no qualms with trusting one in a situation where my life was at risk.

Loaded they sound the same. Maybe even a little quieter because they have more spring tension.  If the mag is empty they know I'm there anyway and the spring rattle makes no difference.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good mags but I sold them and kept my P mags during the scare. The good is the metal feed lips. The bad is they don't function in all guns equally, 30 rounds is a tight fit and reloading is harder when loaded with 30. I prefer P mags and can not agree with your opinion of them being the best mags on the market. They are a solid choice however.
Pat
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top