Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 12:34:16 PM EDT
Hi,

I just purchased a bushmaster 14.5 inch upper (preban colt lower) with phantom permanently attached. I also added a RAS II, ARMS 40 BUIS and Aimpoint ML.

I was wondering what type of groupings you guys can get at 50 and 100 yards using the iron sights?

I'm having trouble sighting in with the irons. Does anyone else think the AR15/M16 sight picture rather odd (compared to say an AK47)? Any tips?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I can hit a 9 inch frypan from 150 yards with iron sights all friggen day long shooting offhand.
From a benchrest at 150 yards the number drops to 3 or 4 inch groups w/iron sights.

I'm talkin' 'bout a Bushmaster 14.5 inch barrel w/Phantom FH 1/9 twist 5.56 NATO w/Q1313A ammo.

What problems are you having sighting in w/irons. Carry handle or ARMS#40 ?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
welcome to the club scott  

when you get a chance try and post a pic of your new rifle, i bet it's sweet. i'm sure you'll be getting another one soon enough.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
On my "short" sight uppers,,,,, I take and machine the front sight post down in diameter.  I simply use my MAKITA to spin the post, and a file to remove the material.  After getting the post to what I want, I use a black or blue marker to color the post again---- I'm a cheap-ass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
On my "short" sight uppers,,,,, I take and machine the front sight post down in diameter.  I simply use my MAKITA to spin the post, and a file to remove the material.  After getting the post to what I want, I use a black or blue marker to color the post again---- I'm a cheap-ass.

Ditto, but I give mine a quick sand blast (hand blasting unit with the threaded post section tapped off), and finish them off with cold bluing (dark black) to knock the sheen down on the steel and hold the color longer than just using a sharpy marker.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
4 to 5 " offhand at 50 and 100 standing,prone 3.I sight in my carbine so instead of lolypoping the sights"letting the circle rest on the front sight I bring up the sight like normal halfway in the rear peep and then cut the target with the front sight right in the middle and it shoots to point of aim.Leave your rear all the way down and asjust the front for elevation like an A1 and its goodto go out to the combat range 100 yds and under
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
He's using an ARMS 40, not an A2 type sight.
I bet he's shooting low.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
500 yrds against man size target is a piece of cake.  I shot a 49 out of 50 last week at the snap shot match with issue ammo. This means the little carbine shot at most 2.5MOA at that range ( wind was about 5mph )
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#9]
500 yrds?!?! holy crap!

Well I managed about 1.5 inch groups @ 50 yards today. I'm still wondering what range I should be sighting in at? I read this http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zeroingmethods.msnw about compensation sigthing at 25 yards. I have a bunch of questions.

1. If I sight in using the 1.25 inch below point of aim @ 25 yards method for the correct 25 meter sight in, how high or low should I be hitting at 50 yards?

2. Should I just sight in at 50 yards?

3. What are the click adjustments for the ARMS #40? Mine didn't come with instructions.

4. Also I notice that if I use the smaller ARMS #40 ring aperture I can get a better sight picture and better groupings. Is this ok to do?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
1. If I sight in using the 1.25 inch below point of aim @ 25 yards method for the correct 25 meter sight in, how high or low should I be hitting at 50 yards?

Should be right on at 50 yards

2. Should I just sight in at 50 yards?

Of course

3. What are the click adjustments for the ARMS #40? Mine didn't come with instructions.

1/2 moa per click

4. Also I notice that if I use the smaller ARMS #40 ring aperture I can get a better sight picture and better groupings. Is this ok to do?

Just know that there will be a change in the height of the rounds when you switch between the apertures.  Zero with the aperture you will use.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#11]
for my 14.5 I had to buy the post that is taller to sight it in. (BM 14.5 1/9 ROT with a ARMS #40)
When I put the Aimpoint M2 on and sighted it in, I got about 1-2 inches at 25m (25m = 28yds).
at 100yds I was doing about 4in with the 4moa dot. (does that sound right?) I was using Wolf ammo on a very windy day. (shooting into the wind).
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#12]
It seems that everyone either needs to sand the post down or get a taller post. I haven't had encountered either issue. Perhaps I'm not sighting in correctly?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have trouble shooting iron sights on carbines well because the sight radius is short, and I am near sighted....the front post ends up looking twice as wide as it really is to me, so zeroing iron sights on carbines is a pain.  With rifle length iron sight radius I shoot very well.

I had the exact same problem.  I'm near sighted 20/400.  My groups use to be consistently inconsistent with a 16" barrel and almost perfect with a 20".  I re-visited the shooting basics and my carbine groups have vastly improved!  I have to focus on the front sight pin a little longer than I do with a 20" rifle but it works.  I get excellent groups now.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#14]
A friend of mine has a 14" Pac-Nor barrel with a 2" comp on it, and he showed up at the shop the other day with a target sporting two back to back 100 yard groups that were both under 1/2".  It doesn't appear that the shorter barrel has any accuracy problems.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A friend of mine has a 14" Pac-Nor barrel with a 2" comp on it, and he showed up at the shop the other day with a target sporting two back to back 100 yard groups that were both under 1/2".  It doesn't appear that the shorter barrel has any accuracy problems.

Using iron sights?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I think 2" is possible (with all standard non match stuff) but I realistically get more like 3" groups in prone with no support other than the magazine itself.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It doesn't appear that the shorter barrel has any accuracy problems.

Just trying to help here, so PLEASE don't take offense, as none is intended!

Accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length. Barrel length affects velocity. In fact many experiance better accuracy with SBR's as there is less barrel to get barrel whip with.

The problem with barrel length less than 16" is that velocity is too low and fragmentation won't occur (or at least at medium to longer distances).
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The 14.5 fragments under 100 yds,not a deficiency when 95% of engagements will take place at that range or most often shorter ranges.The 11.5 will even fit the bill for that range.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The 14.5 fragments under 100 yds,not a deficiency when 95% of engagements will take place at that range or most often shorter ranges.The 11.5 will even fit the bill for that range.

If you are refering to general military engagements, then yes you're correct, well sort of.

Need for range would be dictated by the type of mission and terrain.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The 14.5 fragments under 100 yds,not a deficiency when 95% of engagements will take place at that range or most often shorter ranges.The 11.5 will even fit the bill for that range.hr

Does the bullet start to tumble and fragment even if it dosent hit anything?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Does the bullet start to tumble and fragment even if it dosent hit anything?

No, only if it hits tissue (or something similar to it).
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Well this topic is getting interesting...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top