Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 3:50:03 PM EDT
I was looking at a  .pdf of the old Marine Corp. M16 rifle/tech manual.  It showed only using a barrel vise (and mil-spec barrel wrench) for attaching the barrel to the upper receiver, no action block or anything around the receiver.  Is this a bad way to assemble an upper?  It would be convenient to use one for both the receiver and flash suppressor.  Why is this a bad idea?  

EDIT: I have an older mil-spec barrel wrench that requires a 1/2 breaker bar or torque wrench (have 2 of those) to use.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It can be done. You have to remember, when those manuals were written the modern armorers blocks probably did not exist. I prefer the armorers block and a good after market armorers wrench.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You need both.  You can barrel with barrel vise jaws, but you run a pretty good chance of ending up with a canted front sight base.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]

It would be convenient to use one for both the receiver and flash suppressor.  Why is this a bad idea?

This is my home made FAL barrel vise.  Those wood blocks are two pieces of oak pallet that I cut a channel in and used to barrel many FALs.  

I've also used them in a regular vise to torque AR flash suppressors.  Dust the channel with a little rosin (available at Big 5 for use on baseball bats) to prevent the barrel from spinning in the blocks when clamping and torquing the barrel.

Found a pic with a barrel in a vise:

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I am sure this sounds pretty newb, but wouldn't it be better to use the action block / armorer's wrench for the barrel nut to upper receiver interface, and the barrel vise / whatever wrench for the FH to barrel interface?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK, I am sure this sounds pretty newb, but wouldn't it be better to use the action block / armorer's wrench for the barrel nut to upper receiver interface, and the barrel vise / whatever wrench for the FH to barrel interface?

ding ding ding ding..... You win!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info.  I'll get both.  

I don't want to chance a canted front sight with a free float tube install.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ding ding ding ding..... You win!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top