Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2008 8:05:41 PM EDT
I am considering upgrading my butt stock on my RRA pred pursuit.  right now it has a collapsible butt stock with the CAA  stock saddle and butt pad (don't know the company) and with the bipod it is kind of front heavy. the main use of this gun is predator work and punching paper to practice for predators hours
Are Magpul PRS stocks worth the $$$ when it comes to using them? I have read that hardly anyone uses the adjustable cheek piece (unless using night vision optics) and if you are going to use the adjustable length you probably would be better off going with a collapsible stock (like the vltor sopmod (sp??).

Is there any other stock that I should consider or is the PRS the way to go?

Thanks
Russ

Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Steve at ADCO is a long range shooter (600 & 1,000yds) and he thinks that they are a waste of money and that you should stick with an A2 stock.  He's made that statement here on ARFCOM many times.  To check, send him an email and ask him what he thinks of the PRS.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine.
I use the cheek rest elevated 5/8"(almost max). With my nose almost touching the charging handle the top cheek rest
foremost part of the plate pushes into the muscle on the side of my jaw. It helps to provide a faster point of reference.
The cheek plate is set back far enough to provide 1/2" clearance from a fully extended charging handle.
It is a heavier stock so if you are looking to balance a longer barrel or just the added weight of a bipod it will offer that. Also, if you want to attach a mono pod to it there is a cover that slides off the bottom exposing a rail system.

Anyway, all you are doing is bouncing the PRS idea off the community here. I think that most people that have wanted it see their perceived needs filled. If you think you want it, get it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one on my MK12 and to be honest I am going to swap it out soon.  I have had it for a while (over a year) and I find my A2 equipped rifles more comfortable, although I also like the sopmod stock so I may go with one of those.

that said if you cannot get comfortable with an A2 than the PRS may be the right call for you

-Mike  
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The PRS is a piece of crap in my opinion. Go with an A1 or A2... whichever one fits you
better. After that you just have to make sure you get the proper heighth of rings for
your scope and then you will never need to adjust anything.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can even get one!!!!!! My local dealer has been trying to get me one for, Wait for it,  4 months
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
They have a high cool factor, but it's hard to argue with the A2 stock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I love the coolness factor that they offer too.  But to be perfectly honest, I'm having trouble justifying the $250 price tag.  I don't see where they'll make any difference in shooting ablitly or comfort.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
UBR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want "cool" factor and an A1 or A2 fixed stock won't do, I'd suggest one of these
: VLTOR Rifle Stock.

It should offer better cheekweld without all the price and wait of a PRS.  Only $120 too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you want "cool" factor and an A1 or A2 fixed stock won't do, I'd suggest one of these
: VLTOR Rifle Stock.

It should offer better cheekweld without all the price and wait of a PRS.  Only $120 too.

Agreed, after handling the Vltor rifle stock, Vltor Emod, CTR, and PRS side by side i like the material Vltor uses alot more, i might be crazy but the Vltor products had a nicer feel to me. A grippy sort of plastic, not sticky, but grip. Hard to explain.

I think the PRS looks cooler than the Vltor rifle stock... always a trade-off
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one on my SPR and I give it a resounding "eh". It's ok, the cheek weld is a not real comfy and it certainly cost way more then it should have. I may switch it out for a A2 stock, but I'm still on the fence.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd use an A2.  If it was still too front heavy I'd get a DCM weight to put in the strorage compartment.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my EMOD and even though I have an EOTech mounted up top, I often resort back to closing my eye instead of both eyes open. Theres just something about the cheek weld that screams for a scope (to me). Be aware some people have said the VLTORs can tear out facial hair. I've never had the problem but I also stay clean shaven for work. Plus if you need to add weight to balance it, the EMOD can hold 6 batteries plus.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one and honestly, it is the biggest waste of $250 I have ever spent.  I use it with all the adjustment fully collapsed / retracted.

ETA:  I keep it just because, oh why the hell not.

ETA 2:  Just to clarify, I am not bashing the stock, it was a waste of my money because I do not use the adjustments.  Basically I bought a stock that didn't fit my needs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Never heard of that 60 day policy.  You can't go wrong with that OP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not a marketer, I am a dumb grunt who wasting allot of my personal funds to find gear that worked for me while in the USMC.

This is where the 60 day, no questions asked, return policy came from. It allows time to test if the gear meets your needs.

Original Magpul manual from 1999 - Return policy printed on page 20

From the very start I wanted every person using Magpul gear to do so because they wanted to, not because I managed to sell them something that didn't work for them.

Since you did not know this, if you want to exchange your PRS stock for something else drop me an IM.

That's a hell of an offer brother.  My post wasn't a bash on MAGPUL, thought it may have sounded like it (edited my original post).  It was a waste of money for me because I don't use the adjustments.  

I don't need to exchange it, it works fine, for me it just doesn't work better than an A2.

I have the PRS, three CTRs and one rifle waiting for a UBR so the PRS will stay where it is until you guys offer a different MAGPUL stock to replace it with.

Thanks again for the offer, that's top notch.

Semper Fi

ETA:  The one on the far right is gonna be sweet with a UBR

Link Posted: 10/3/2008 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not a marketer, I am a dumb grunt who wasting allot of my personal funds to find gear that worked for me while in the USMC.

This is where the 60 day, no questions asked, return policy came from. It allows time to test if the gear meets your needs.

Original Magpul manual from 1999 - Return policy printed on page 20From the very start I wanted every person using Magpul gear to do so because they wanted to, not because I managed to sell them something that didn't work for them.

Since you did not know this, if you want to exchange your PRS stock for something else drop me an IM.

The only aftermarket stocks I have ever purchased have been Magpul products (I aslo on a PRS, but have not used it yet).  The LMT I am currently putting together, I was on the fence between a VILTOR or UBR.  That statement just sold me on a UBR.

I know of no one that can beat that statement.

BRAVO MAGPUL!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top