Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
@darkstar117  What branch of UK SF were they? SBS or SAS or SF Support Group?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
All I can say with any degree of certainty is that they were JTACs.

If I had to make an educated guess, SAS.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, found my notes about the suppressors.

Surefire FA556SA with the Surefire CA556SA flash hider mount.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, found my notes about the suppressors.

Surefire FA556SA with the Surefire CA556SA flash hider mount.
View Quote
Perfect, thank you sir!
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
PEQ-15 with white light=original PEQ-16...
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't recognize it as a Regiment flash, so likely vanity, and it's an English lion.

My caveat there is I didn't really ever care for any of the other regiments except for ones we worked very closely with such as Paras, PWRR and RGBW so I may just not recognize it.
View Quote
From what I understand that photo has some association with the SEAL's and it's the patch for DEVGRU Gold Squadron...
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
So myself and a few other ARFCOM members "share" computers at work, didn't realize I wasn't the one logged in. So I just donated two posts to Grammatik Faschist... But yay, here I am...

Subbed.

Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen photos of Government profile Diemaco C8CQB barrels but don’t know who they were made for.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have seen photos of Government profile Diemaco C8CQB barrels but don't know who they were made for.
View Quote
I'd seen skinny 10" uppers that were in RCMP vaults around 2010. Apparently they were C8A1 uppers originally that were cut down for ERT.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Possibly but the pictures I saw had the Devtek, so likely not a cut down unless Diemaco did it.  Think it may have had the bayo lug too.  Should have saved it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I could have told you that's what suppressor you were getting. Sorry to hear you didn't know going into it. Surefire updated all their legacy stuff mid-way through production and never updated the model numbers. The same exact thing happened with the 212. You can still technically buy the 212 from Surefire, it still uses the same flash hider, index point, etc… but it has the new endcap and collar design.

For example, this is a FA556-212:

And this is also a FA556-212:

ETA: Augee could comment on this also, but IIRC with the 212, the groups that had the contract for them receive the new version so I would assume the UK is the same way, i.e., this newer version that you have is still being supplied to fulfill the contract, so even though most photos we have of them are the older version, the newer one would still be correct.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got an email from Arms Unlimited that the have the SureFire FA556-212 suppressors in stock for $650. I think that's the right can for this rifle?

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SureFire-Fast-Attach-AR15-M4-Rifle-Suppressor-p/fa556-212.htm
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just got an email from Arms Unlimited that the have the SureFire FA556-212 suppressors in stock for $650. I think that's the right can for this rifle?

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SureFire-Fast-Attach-AR15-M4-Rifle-Suppressor
View Quote
No it is not. But it's as close as you are going to get for $650.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No it is not. But it's as close as you are going to get for $650.
View Quote
The ultimate question would be, would it fit on a Surefire FH556-216A flash hider?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The ultimate question would be, would it fit on a Surefire FH556-216A flash hider?
View Quote
No it does not. I have tried.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No it does not. I have tried.
View Quote
Thanks! I was just curious. I still need to get one for my fighting rifles and my future Block 2 clones. It will be a while, my focus is on Diemaco currently. Those SOCOM four prongs are not cheap, and they definitely have set me back on my other projects.

I don't know if I will be able to purchase the British Surefire suppressor in the near future. I know they are hard to come by, but I don't think I will have the money for it right now unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been busy lately, and I will try to update my progress as I gather all the parts. It's coming a little slow, but that is to be expected when I am working and trying to build three rifles at once.

After much trial and error, I finally came across a standard safety with a decent "tick mark." Much of the ones I came across had a very light "hash" mark (specifically Stag Arms) that wasn't to my standards. What I have may not be exactly an A2 style tick mark, but the deep V notch is good enough for me, especially since the right side of the receiver will have no markings.

The safety I bought is a High Standard selector from Brownells. Just from browsing the page, I guess they are not available anymore... Tick mark safeties are getting harder to come buy. There are some tick mark safeties on newer long lever safeties made by Schmid Tool that can come standard with BCM or Spikes Tactical rifles as opposed to the old school short lever selectors as seen on M16A2 rifles and early M4 carbines. Another way of acquiring Schmid Tool safeties is buying Geissele/ALG lower receiver parts kit, since they provide Schmid Tool parts as their AR parts kit. I would say the only difference between standard Schmid Tool parts kits from the Geissele/ALG kits is that the Geissele/ALG safety detents are black as opposed to brass colored and the Geissele/ALG trigger pins have three slots as opposed to the Mil-Spec two slots.
...Speaking of Schmid Tool...

I thought I would share some discoveries I have made with one of my collected Colt ambi safeties to my recently acquired Colt Canada ambi safeties. I cannot confirm, but I theorize that Diemaco made all their fire control groups in-house in the classic C7 days. I believe Diemaco rifles and early Colt Canada (mostly C7A2 and some early C8A3 rifles) used the contractor LW Schneider to make their lower receiver parts before switching to Schmid Tool for their parts as of recently. This change is notable, in the case of British Diemaco/CC rifles, from the L119A1 (LW) to the L119A2 (Schmid). Ambi safeties are much more notable on the L119A2 rifles with the new Gen.3 IURs. Here is a comparison to a Colt ambi safety to a Colt Canada ambi safety (both made by Schmid Tool, note the "S" mark):
(EDIT: This Colt Canada safety is a take-off from a Colt Canada Enchanced Ambi lower receiver, which is used for the SA20 and SA15.7 series of rifles)

Top: Colt
Bottom: Colt Canada
(notice how the Canadian spec version uses a circular spacer of some kind to go right directly behind the right side short throw lever)

Notice the screws are different. On the left is Colt Canada, the screw threads are longer and the knurling on the head is more exaggerated as opposed to the Colt version. Colt is slightly smaller in length and has a yellowish rubber insert probably to ensure the screw doesn't back off without the use of blue Loctite. I'll update this post to see if the screws are compatible.
UPDATE: Both screws have the same thread pitch. The screws are compatible with each other.

The screw heads themselves are different. The Allen socket on the Colt Canada on the left is traditionally with "sharp angles" while the Colt screw on the right, the socket is smooth rounded and slightly recessed. I'll update this post here with the correct allen head measurements. They are not the same, my guess is that one is Imperial and the other is Metric.
UPDATE: Apparently the Colt Canada screw is not metric. For both screws, you need a 3/32 inch allen key. I find this interesting because Elucidate explained on his L119A2 forum that the grenade launcher lug on the Gen.3 IUR L119A2 uses a screw that is not metric as well...

Here are the right side short throw levers, the left being Colt and the right being Colt Canada. Two big differences. One is that Colt electro-pencils their cage code 13629, while Colt Canada has a higher step where it engages with the left side selector lever and rod. Where the higher step is recessed is where that round spacer goes to rest.

The back side: Colt left, Colt Canada right: The engagement "teeth" are dimensionally different as well. Colt is asymmetrical where one "tooth" is larger than the other, where as the Colt Canada is dimensionally the same on both sides.

With Colt Canada right side selector lever having the extra "step," this means the selector rod itself must be shallow if installed in the receiver. Sure enough, that's correct. On the left is Colt and the right is Colt Canada. On the Colt Canada selector, look how the "rod" or where the selector interfaces with the trigger, is shorter than the Colt ambi version.

This is an attempt to check compatibility. Placing the Colt cage coded lever on the Colt Canada selector base. Obviously it would not fit...
UPDATE: I forgot to mention that the Colt Canada lever will fit on the Colt safety, obviously, but it is loose and not tightly fit.

Some later L119A1 rifles were equipped with the ambi safeties, especially the Royal Marines L119A1. In conclusion, the best ambi safety to get for a L119A1 clone with an ambidextrous safety is a Colt ambi safety since the Canadian spec version is near impossible to get. ...Well, that if you can find a Colt ambi safety sold separately. They are pretty rare to source one. The best bet is to get a Colt ambi safety take-off from Colt's newer LE6920 lowers with the "M4 CARBINE" roll mark (the new ones have a laser engraved QR code for manufacture tracking). They also can be installed on the LE6920 SOCOM series with the uber rare "M4A1 CARBINE," but yet again, nearly unobtainable.

So your options are: Schmid Tool ambi safety with long levers or Double Star ambi safety with a short throw right side lever. The Double Star version is unique because the left side lever is a medium sized unlike the modern long versions (kinda like old Diemacos). Keep in mind, both of these safeties' parts are not interchangeable. You cannot swap screws and levers by buying both, because I already tried.

Colt ambi safety (sign up for restock notification): Arms Unlimited [Note: I haven't seen these come back in stock for a long while...]
Schmid tool ambi long levers: Spikes Tactical
Double Star ambi safety: Double Star

Elucidate, I don't know if this is more relevant to your L119A2 forum than this L119A1 forum. would you like me to post my findings there?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
This thread is awesome! Thanks elucidate for bringing us along for the ride.
I'm learning so much!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Elucidate, I don't know if this is more relevant to your L119A2 forum than this L119A1 forum. would you like me to post my findings there?
View Quote
please do!

Very very few of the L119's (none of the SF issue ones I've seen, only Commando guns and then not all) have the ambi on the A1, but 100% of the A2's do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:....Tick mark safeties are getting harder to come buy....
View Quote
Its funny you say this because in the retro boards people are having issues finding selectors without tick marks. Seems like we can never have enough options.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have been busy lately, and I will try to update my progress as I gather all the parts. It's coming a little slow, but that is to be expected when I am working and trying to build three rifles at once.

After much trial and error, I finally came across a standard safety with a decent "tick mark." Much of the ones I came across had a very light "hash" mark (specifically Stag Arms) that wasn't to my standards. What I have may not be exactly an A2 style tick mark, but the deep V notch is good enough for me, especially since the right side of the receiver will have no markings.

https://i.imgur.com/Chfa17L.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qZsMCEN.jpg

The safety I bought is a High Standard selector from Brownells. Just from browsing the page, I guess they are not available anymore... Tick mark safeties are getting harder to come buy. There are some tick mark safeties on newer long lever safeties made by Schmid Tool that can come standard with BCM or Spikes Tactical rifles as opposed to the old school short lever selectors as seen on M16A2 rifles and early M4 carbines. Another way of acquiring Schmid Tool safeties is buying Geissele/ALG lower receiver parts kit, since they provide Schmid Tool parts as their AR parts kit. I would say the only difference between standard Schmid Tool parts kits from the Geissele/ALG kits is that the Geissele/ALG safety detents are black as opposed to brass colored and the Geissele/ALG trigger pins have three slots as opposed to the Mil-Spec two slots.
...Speaking of Schmid Tool...

I thought I would share some discoveries I have made with one of my collected Colt ambi safeties to my recently acquired Colt Canada ambi safeties. I cannot confirm, but I theorize that Diemaco made all their fire control groups in-house in the classic C7 days. I believe Diemaco rifles and early Colt Canada (mostly C7A2 and some early C8A3 rifles) used the contractor LW Schneider to make their lower receiver parts before switching to Schmid Tool for their parts as of recently. This change is notable, in the case of British Diemaco/CC rifles, from the L119A1 (LW) to the L119A2 (Schmid). Ambi safeties are much more notable on the L119A2 rifles with the new Gen.3 IURs. Here is a comparison to a Colt ambi safety to a Colt Canada ambi safety (both made by Schmid Tool, note the "S" mark):
(EDIT: This Colt Canada safety is a take-off from a Colt Canada Enchanced Ambi lower receiver, which is used for the SA20 and SA15.7 series of rifles)

Top: Colt
Bottom: Colt Canada
(notice how the Canadian spec version uses a circular spacer of some kind to go right directly behind the right side short throw lever)

https://i.imgur.com/9JPTicZ.jpg

Notice the screws are different. On the left is Colt Canada, the screw threads are longer and the knurling on the head is more exaggerated as opposed to the Colt version. Colt is slightly smaller in length and has a yellowish rubber insert probably to ensure the screw doesn't back off without the use of blue Loctite. I'll update this post to see if the screws are compatible.
UPDATE: Both screws have the same thread pitch. The screws are compatible with each other.

https://i.imgur.com/8vAcHJS.jpg

The screw heads themselves are different. The Allen socket on the Colt Canada on the left is traditionally with "sharp angles" while the Colt screw on the right, the socket is smooth rounded and slightly recessed. I'll update this post here with the correct allen head measurements. They are not the same, my guess is that one is Imperial and the other is Metric.
UPDATE: Apparently the Colt Canada screw is not metric. For both screws, you need a 3/32 inch allen key. I find this interesting because Elucidate explained on his L119A2 forum that the grenade launcher lug on the Gen.3 IUR L119A2 uses a screw that is not metric as well...

https://i.imgur.com/FTTFDQd.jpg

Here are the right side short throw levers, the left being Colt and the right being Colt Canada. Two big differences. One is that Colt electro-pencils their cage code 13629, while Colt Canada has a higher step where it engages with the left side selector lever and rod. Where the higher step is recessed is where that round spacer goes to rest.

https://i.imgur.com/OhesL25.jpg

The back side: Colt left, Colt Canada right: The engagement "teeth" are dimensionally different as well. Colt is asymmetrical where one "tooth" is larger than the other, where as the Colt Canada is dimensionally the same on both sides.

https://i.imgur.com/5WU9Jdl.jpg

With Colt Canada right side selector lever having the extra "step," this means the selector rod itself must be shallow if installed in the receiver. Sure enough, that's correct. On the left is Colt and the right is Colt Canada. On the Colt Canada selector, look how the "rod" or where the selector interfaces with the trigger, is shorter than the Colt ambi version.

https://i.imgur.com/gmtsDKB.jpg

This is an attempt to check compatibility. Placing the Colt cage coded lever on the Colt Canada selector base. Obviously it would not fit...
UPDATE: I forgot to mention that the Colt Canada lever will fit on the Colt safety, obviously, but it is loose and not tightly fit.

https://i.imgur.com/LguKcjy.jpg

Some later L119A1 rifles were equipped with the ambi safeties, especially the Royal Marines L119A1. In conclusion, the best ambi safety to get for a L119A1 clone with an ambidextrous safety is a Colt ambi safety since the Canadian spec version is near impossible to get. ...Well, that if you can find a Colt ambi safety sold separately. They are pretty rare to source one. The best bet is to get a Colt ambi safety take-off from Colt's newer LE6920 lowers with the "M4 CARBINE" roll mark (the new ones have a laser engraved QR code for manufacture tracking). They also can be installed on the LE6920 SOCOM series with the uber rare "M4A1 CARBINE," but yet again, nearly unobtainable.

So your options are: Schmid Tool ambi safety with long levers or Double Star ambi safety with a short throw right side lever. The Double Star version is unique because the left side lever is a medium sized unlike the modern long versions (kinda like old Diemacos). Keep in mind, both of these safeties' parts are not interchangeable. You cannot swap screws and levers by buying both, because I already tried.

Colt ambi safety (sign up for restock notification): Arms Unlimited [Note: I haven't seen these come back in stock for a long while...]
Schmid tool ambi long levers: Spikes Tactical

View Quote
The Colt Canada ones aren't cheap up here at $134.95:

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/SELECTOR-FIRE-CONTROL-AMBIDEXTROUS-SET.html

Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Its funny you say this because in the retro boards people are having issues finding selectors without tick marks. Seems like we can never have enough options.
View Quote
Hahaha, that is funny! Usually, you have to find a SP1 safety to have no tick mark which can be found on Gunbroker, but for a premium. Maybe you can get lucky on a DPMS one or something similar.

Collectors will always be picky about what selectors to get because military service rifles usually field selectors with a A2 style tick mark which is hard to find. Most are just a short square notch or a shallow line instead of that long V notch that is seen on the M16A2 rifles and M4/M4A1 carbines. Unfortuantely, Stag Arms doesn't make tick marks anymore on the new selectors I have stumbled across. Collectors also have issues on how long the throw lever is on the selector. Early rifles use a "short" like my High Standard selector, then progresses to the "medium" as seen on some early Colt M4s (I believe), and the current "long" versions like the photos of the ambi selectors I have posted.

The one I have in my post is actually a short V notch, and I may have a lead on an A2 tick mark selector. I'll have an update soon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Colt Canada ones aren't cheap up here at $134.95:
View Quote
No, they are not. Colt Canada SA20/SA15.7 parts are only take-offs, and Colt ambis sold separately are scarce here. They are a little bit less uncommon on some newer LE6920 lowers. Colt is currently liquidating their stock, so maybe some parts will trickle out...

Schmid Tool ambidextrous safeties with right side short throw levers are hard to find. I wish this was not the case.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
You left out G&R Tactical’s Colt Semi-Auto safety.  Which is, of course, out of stock as well.

Dang!  That Double Star safety is pretty close to perfect for an M4 clone selector.  I’m putting that on my “soon” list.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://i68.tinypic.com/20h3385.png

I am embarking on a project that has been challenging me recently and I thought I'd share as without some of the usual suspects seen here on AR15.com and some subject matter experts, I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today!
(Braceman, John Thomas, Chris Bartocci, Colt Canada, British Army contacts, Augee and others)

I started cloning, and the ridiculous levels of OCD seeking out the perfect parts that comes with that, with the Mk18 CQBR. It's a pretty cool hobby for people with a lot of time in the middle of the night and access to the internet, as it allows us to go full on detail orientated and start to be gun detectives for when things were issued, used and disposed.

I decided to take cloning several steps further recently and one of my projects is the British incarnation of the Mk18, the L119A1.

The L119A1 10"/CQB variant was supplied as an upper upgrade program by Diemaco to the existing 15.7" variants to the UK MoD in 2005, about 5 years after the US developed the Crane Mk18.

The UK is very secretive about the tools used by its armed forces, when compared to the US for example, and as such, photos and information on the L119A1 have been hard to find.

The pictures that spurred me on to start this project are of allegedly, captured SAS rifles in Iraq. The metadata on the picture shows 2008, and everything matches in terms of date, so I was very lucky the original metadata matched. There is no doubt they are UKSF rifles, but I do not know how accurate the 'captured' part is. They are however, the clearest and most detailed pictures available that are open source.

As you will see below, the rifles are similar to the US Mk18 Mod 0, with FSB, KAC rails etc.

Some major differences exist because Colt Canada built these, which I will expand upon as the project develops.

http://i68.tinypic.com/m7xqbn.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/97352r.jpg

I have learnt more about these rifles than any sane person might want to know over the past 6 months, so hopefully I can share with you guys and make this an interesting look into the M4 platform outside of the US Military and also some differences between Colt Canada/Diemaco and Colt Mfg.

Stage one of course, was to ensure I got a lower that would be suitable. If you're going to make a clone, I think it should be as correct as possible. Luckily, I am an FFL so was able to procure a Cerro 80% and send it to John Brace (Braceman) for the correct engraving, the FFL part allowing me to start work instantly on what will be defined as an SBR.

Braceman did an amazing job, it was a new design to him so we worked through some super detailed things and worked out where stuff aligned, and he engraved it using his special methods.
The real star of my current clone builds has been John Brace, so if any of you guys are wanting to build something, now would be the time, his work is impeccable and his OCD about correctness matches my own so we worked great together making this!

I then machined out the 80 into a real rifle and laser engraved my makers info in a legal but not easy to see place (right hand side magwell flare) so as not to spoil the look of the rifle.

http://i67.tinypic.com/11gr4pf.png

What you will see on the lower is the then Diemaco logo, known as the Devtek D.
Diemaco was formed in 1984 I believe, then Heroux Devtek bought Diemaco in 2000, operating as a parent company and keeping Diemaco a division. Colt Defense (US) then bought Diemaco in 2005. This is an interesting time in watching for markings, engravings etc as you start to see things slowly change in design as the years progress, and then major changes as Colt Canada Corp exercised its influence.

Underneath the logo is the Land Service number which also serves as the model (L119A1). The UK Ministry of Defence issues L numbers to many products, for example, every weapon in use has one. L85 for the current main battle rifle, L115 for the sniper rifle etc. etc.

Caliber is then designated, interestingly, in lower case, whereas Colt USA uses upper case.

The serial number is interesting, it has a specific format. The first two numbers are the year of production, the middle 5 numbers are sequential starting at 00001, and are delivered by an auto advancing wheel, and the last two are the country designator. As an example, Denmark and Norway have their own identifiers, GB stands for Great Britain. As such, we can tell this gun was originally made in the year 2000 (00), it was the 301st UK contract gun off the production line for that model (00301) and it was made specifically for the UK contract (GB). This also fits with the initial 10" barrel variants being upper upgrade program, as the lower was clearly initially mated to a 15.7" upper.

The NSN is engraved just underneath the trigger pin. The early guns all had this engraved by Diemaco in Canada, and the lower was anodized and shipped with the NSN and other markings done in house. On later guns, this NSN was omitted and the UK added the NSN via rotary engraving to the right hand side magwell. They also left it raw instead of refinishing it. According to the armourers I have spoken to, this was done to make cataloguing more efficient. At the time (2005) the UK did not use UID stickers, instead they had the NSN easily visible and written numbers in paint pen on visible areas. (They do use UID stickers now).

The selector markings also vary from the US models, S, R and Auto.
Safe, Repetition and Automatic. Canada has some weird laws about using French, or words that work in both English and French, hence the R for repetition.
One of the fine details I noticed was that the R is not perfectly centered with the selector, Diemaco aligned the right leg of the R with the tip of the selector.

Anodizing is next, and the story of how I had to reverse engineer Colt Canada anodizing and start to do it myself. Colt Canada's anodizing is not quite as haphazard as Colt USA but it isn't any of the US colors either! I anticipate my backlog of other work to be quiet enough to ano the lower next week.

Hopefully the tech forum will find this interesting as I go through and build something not normally seen. I'll try and keep this updated around once a week if people actually want to see my crazy OCD matching a small countries weird and wonderful Mk18 copy rifle :-D
View Quote
Those grips look like LONE STAR ORDNANCE Stowaway 2 Grips.

Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just came back in stock guys! If you want one, now is your chance! Act FAST!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmm... Where have I seen this furniture before...

Springfield Armory XM15 - AR-15 Vol.1

(I posted an image link. I am starting to see my pictures on Google. I'm going to limit any photos to links regarding Larry Vicker's book)
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semi auto...gross

AU...double gross

Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Semi auto...gross

AU...double gross

View Quote
Well they actually had the part, and I wasn't getting any younger...  So yes, I bought one.  It should be here soon.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well they actually had the part, and I wasn't getting any younger...  So yes, I bought one.  It should be here soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semi auto...gross

AU...double gross

I've had issues with them and try to stay away but some of the stuff they get in makes me want to break down and attempt to do business with again.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The lion rampant patch on that SAS bloke's chest, is that official or a vanity to say he's Scottish?
View Quote
It isn't a British army patch or the Scottish Lion Rampant .

However a quick google search turns up a Trident tailed DEVGRU ST 6 patch.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semi auto...gross

AU...double gross

I see your point about AU...  They waited a week to actually put my order in the mail.  And somehow USPS managed to take another 6 days to get that small padded envelope from Las Vegas to San Antonio - by way of Los Angeles?  I’m disappointed.  But I have the selector, and - since I don’t yet own a registered receiver, I’m going to put up with semi...
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I see your point about AU...  They waited a week to actually put my order in the mail.  And somehow USPS managed to take another 6 days to get that small padded envelope from Las Vegas to San Antonio - by way of Los Angeles?  I’m disappointed.  But I have the selector, and - since I don’t yet own a registered receiver, I’m going to put up with semi...
View Quote
Same thing happened to me as well. They haven't waited as long as a week in the last order I made a year ago (about 3 days).  I'm sure it was worth it, because one other retailer and the ARFcom EE has these safeties for double the price. I already have a handful, but definitely would buy another one if it didn't have the Colt cage code on the short lever. I could use one on a C7A2 build. I'm saving one for a Block II (PIP) build and a couple for my personal rifles.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#34]

@elucidate

Do you know if anyone is selling IUR (and/or MRR) barrel nut wrenches?
I've only ever heard rumors of them existing in non-LEO etc. hands, never anything more concrete.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@elucidate

I've only ever heard rumors of them existing in non-LEO etc. hands, never anything more concrete.
View Quote
I do not know, I had to make one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is my L119A1 so far. Many thanks to Elucidate (all the anodizing, advice, and the original idea), Braceman ( engraving the lower and upper, and re-profiling the upper to mimic an actual L119A1 upper), and John Thomas (shortened barrel and re-park, shave bayonet lug and re-park, re-parked all the small parts). The barrel came from Green Mountain, M4 profile with non F marked FSB. Muzzle device is a SF 212a (I own 212a can and it will be a while before I can afford one that mounts on a 216). Still waiting on my Form 1 so it's a pistol at the moment. Continuing the hunt for a butt stock (I have a couple of Vltors and I can always get a CTR but it would be nice to have a Colt Canada), I used a Magpul ASAP end plate since the others are unobtainium.

ETA:resized pics. Just trying to catch the detail of the awesome work of Elucidate, Braceman, and John Thomas.

Link Posted: 4/15/2018 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Purty.  Congrats.

But I've forgotten about the difference in upper profiles.  Can you refresh my memory?

Edit: In a page 1 post, the upper's rail is referred to as "a 1913 rail (not M4 and not Canadian Weaver)".  What is the difference between a 1913 rail and an M4 rail?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@elucidate

View Quote
They're fairly un-available, and stupid expensive for what they are. Most people or shops who have done changes, likely also made their own.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Edit: In a page 1 post, the upper's rail is referred to as "a 1913 rail (not M4 and not Canadian Weaver)".  What is the difference between a 1913 rail and an M4 rail?
View Quote
If I remember right, Diemaco/CC rail is lower and doesn't need an F marked FSP, as opposed to the M4 rail that does.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If I remember right, Diemaco/CC rail is lower and doesn't need an F marked FSP, as opposed to the M4 rail that does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From my understanding and research, the height of the Canadian 1913 spec and American M4 spec are the same. I can confirm this because I have both spec uppers. It is the original Canadian Weaver spec that sits lower than the American M4 spec upper receiver. How Colt Canada is able to accommodate a non-F marked front sight is by using their uniquely designed front sight post that is longer than the American A2 front post.

You can look at Elucidate's previous posts and photos on what it looks like. By the way my Canadian friends, is there any way I can source those front posts?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#41]
cool thread
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

From my understanding and research, the height of the Canadian 1913 spec and American M4 spec are the same. I can confirm this because I have both spec uppers. It is the original Canadian Weaver spec that sits lower than the American M4 spec upper receiver. How Colt Canada is able to accommodate a non-F marked front sight is by using their uniquely designed front sight post that is longer than the American A2 front post.

You can look at Elucidate's previous posts and photos on what it looks like. By the way my Canadian friends, is there any way I can source those front posts?
View Quote
The front sight posts haven't been made commercially available up here, outside of the Anniversary editions of the C7A2 and C8A3 that were released.

Here's a comparison image of my Canadian post, up against a standard A2. I'd love to make a few, but alas, that likely wont be happening any time soon.

EDIT: Can't get the damn picture to show up in the post.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The front sight posts haven't been made commercially available up here, outside of the Anniversary editions of the C7A2 and C8A3 that were released.

Here's a comparison image of my Canadian post, up against a standard A2. I'd love to make a few, but alas, that likely wont be happening any time soon.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0434/3309/files/IMG_8943.JPG?2759205320598642668

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0434/3309/files/IMG_8943.JPG?2759205320598642668

You need 50 posts before your pics show up for yourself. The rest can see it and I clicked "approve".
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
You think some outlet like True North Arms up north (or US) can replicate them... It would be nice if someone can manufacture Diemaco-like products like front posts, endplates, and Colt Canada receiver extension lock rings (yes, there is a difference from the old school Colts). I'm pretty sure they are not patented.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Big Thanks to Elucidate and Braceman! My upper came out amazing....

Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Big Thanks to Elucidate and Braceman! My upper came out amazing....

https://i.imgur.com/trTAUVO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ymjWoNn.jpg
View Quote
That's awesome! I'm still collecting receivers. This project has gotten bigger than I could have imagined a couple of years ago. It won't be only the L119A1, there are others...
This project will bring me to financial ruin.

I know you have posted before, but it just clicked for me. I remember selling you that upper. It was a clone Mk.18 Mod.0 upper.

By the way, is it Braceman who provides the service of milling the receiver to Canadian spec? (rear scallop, front chamfer, 14th slot)
I have a real Canadian spec upper receiver he can use photos (or maybe real example?) of mine to get the proper dimensions of the rear scallop.

Note: I have took a closer look at Dobs image, and noticed that the 14th slot is not in spec, but looks so convincing. Milling a real slot in spec would be too close to the end of the rail, so a compromise has to be made. But the compromise looks so damn good. If I wasn't a stickler for detail, I would have thought it is a real Canadian receiver!

EDIT: I will update this post with a photo and some Photoshop line drawings to show the dimensions of both American M4 spec and Canadian spec uppers and why milling a true 14th slot to be in spec on the M4 upper might not be the best idea.

Here is an image of my Canadian spec receiver:

Here is a quick mock up I have done. I have made both receivers comparable by image close to scale. At the point where the rear of the receiver becomes a rounded edge is where I drawn the red line. Notice the difference. It is extremely hard to get hands on the original, but maybe we have that chance now. The rear scallop is more exaggerated on the real thing.

Disclaimer: Please don't take this the wrong way, I just want to put out as much information as possible so that we can make the perfect clones for everyone. By working in the art industry, I have some critiques as well. I can't help myself, so I apologize in advance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:04:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You think some outlet like True North Arms up north (or US) can replicate them... It would be nice if someone can manufacture Diemaco-like products like front posts, endplates, and Colt Canada receiver extension lock rings (yes, there is a difference from the old school Colts). I'm pretty sure they are not patented.
View Quote
You're absolutely correct, I have all the necessary drawings right now, they simply need to be modified for the actual dimensions of the Canadian post vs. US. I'll have to check into things like the end plates and extension rings, and you're absolutely right in that the lock rings etc are different.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's awesome! I'm still collecting receivers. This project has gotten bigger than I could have imagined a couple of years ago. It won't be only the L119A1, there are others...
This project will bring me to financial ruin.

I know you have posted before, but it just clicked for me. I remember selling you that upper. It was a clone Mk.18 Mod.0 upper.

By the way, is it Braceman who provides the service of milling the receiver to Canadian spec? (rear scallop, front chamfer, 14th slot)
I have a real Canadian spec upper receiver he can use photos (or maybe real example?) of mine to get the proper dimensions of the rear scallop.

Note: I have took a closer look at Dobs image, and noticed that the 14th slot is not in spec, but looks so convincing. Milling a real slot in spec would be too close to the end of the rail, so a compromise has to be made. But the compromise looks so damn good. If I wasn't a stickler for detail, I would have thought it is a real Canadian receiver!

EDIT: I will update this post with a photo and some Photoshop line drawings to show the dimensions of both American M4 spec and Canadian spec uppers and why milling a true 14th slot to be in spec on the M4 upper might not be the best idea.

Here is an image of my Canadian spec receiver:

https://i.imgur.com/R9v4y29.jpg

Here is a quick mock up I have done. I have made both receivers comparable by image close to scale. At the point where the rear of the receiver becomes a rounded edge is where I drawn the red line. Notice the difference. It is extremely hard to get hands on the original, but maybe we have that chance now. The rear scallop is more exaggerated on the real thing.

https://i.imgur.com/NtC3tJR.jpg

Disclaimer: Please don't take this the wrong way, I just want to put out as much information as possible so that we can make the perfect clones for everyone. By working in the art industry, I have some critiques as well. I can't help myself, so I apologize in advance.
View Quote
No worries man! I like the attention to detail. It's not perfect but it's a damn good copy. I didn't even notice the 14th slot got put in till you said something...haha. It would be nice if we could get Diemaco blanks, or even better, the real uppers. But unfortunately I think it's only gonna get so good. I'm totally happy with the end result, but following your posts I'm pretty excited to see what you come up with! And yup, that's your old upper, I repurposed it....

ETA: I'll throw up some better pics later today
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
When John (Braceman) modified my upper he got an actual L119A1 upper to work from, so the dimensions are going to be pretty close to an actual Colt Canada upper.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

When John (Braceman) modified my upper he got an actual L119A1 upper to work from, so the dimensions are going to be pretty close to an actual Colt Canada upper.
View Quote
Same here but it's still off from the actual upper, at least it is on the rear notch

ETA: Here's some better pics,

Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top