Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 4:54:42 PM EDT
I currently have a Bushmaster A2, but plan to switch to a flattop for more optics choices. I can't find many places that retail BM parts or receivers, and buying a flattop directly from BM runs about $180. There are great deals on RRA and CMT receivers, but I've read some negative opinions about fit/reliability of weapons built from multiple manufacturers. Would I have these issues combining different makes. How is the fit/finish with BM and other manufacturers? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:01:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 5:02:12 PM EDT by Illinigunner21]
Its more trouble than its worth, just get a new completed upper.

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:09:15 PM EDT

Its more trouble than its worth, just get a new completed upper.

Not only is buying an entire new upper not an option right now ($), it's not that much trouble to swap receivers. Plus, BM will do it for free if I buy directly from them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:12:07 PM EDT
Its an easy swap, buy a RRA or a CMT (without the M4 feedramp cuts) and be done with it. You aren't going to have any problems, and its a simple job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:22:10 PM EDT
I went through the same phase last year. I bought a RRA A3 upper direct off their website (you can find better prices from some other places), and had a friend swap my barrel (BM M4 profile) onto it. There's a really minor color variation between the RRA and BM, but I can barely notice it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:23:43 PM EDT
I have a Bushy A2 and I am going to do the exact samething within the next few days. I have been meaning to do it for a while but just have not gotten around to it. I also don't want to spend the money for a Bushy A3. I am not one who babies my AR or worries if it looks "cool" but one thing that drives me crazy is when the upper and lower are 2 different colors. So I have done a lot of research on who has the closest match to Bushy's lowers. It seems like White Oak is probably the best match along with CMT. I still haven't decided if I am getting the White Oak or the CMT but I am leaning towards thr CMT.

Good luck

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:05:53 PM EDT
My CMT A3 Upper matches my BM Lower exactly.
14.5" BM 1/9 NATO w/Perm. Phantom 5C1

Denny has them for $95 shipped in the EE for the Non-M4 Feedramp Cut CMT A3 Complete Upper Receiver.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:05:11 PM EDT
Thanks to all who replied. I feel alot more confident about going with a CMT/RRA upper, plus I'll save a little $$. Highstrung, nice looking weapon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:15:50 PM EDT
Over the last two years I converted all of my A1 and A2 uppers to flattops. I bought a few of the "blemished" uppers from LAR, I have one now, and a deputy friend has the other on his AR-15.

The other flattops I purchased from J&T. They were $115 which included fwd asst and dust cover, installed.

They will fit and match your Bushmaster lower... unless your lower is the famous "Bushmaster Purple".
Top Top