Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 4:54:42 PM EDT
I currently have a Bushmaster A2, but plan to switch to a flattop for more optics choices.  I can't find many places that retail BM parts or receivers, and buying a flattop directly from BM runs about $180.  There are great deals on RRA and CMT receivers, but I've read some negative opinions about fit/reliability of weapons built from multiple manufacturers.  Would I have these issues combining different makes.  How is the fit/finish with BM and other manufacturers? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Its more trouble than its worth, just get a new completed upper.

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Its more trouble than its worth, just get a new completed upper.

Not only is buying an entire new upper not an option right now ($), it's not that much trouble to swap receivers.  Plus, BM will do it for free if I buy directly from them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Its an easy swap, buy a RRA or a CMT (without the M4 feedramp cuts) and be done with it.  You aren't going to have any problems, and its a simple job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I went through the same phase last year.  I bought a RRA A3 upper direct off their website (you can find better prices from some other places), and had a friend swap my barrel (BM M4 profile) onto it.  There's a really minor color variation between the RRA and BM, but I can barely notice it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Bushy A2 and I am going to do the exact samething within the next few days.  I have been meaning to do it for a while but just have not gotten around to it.  I also don't want to spend the money for a Bushy A3.  I am not one who babies my AR or worries if it looks "cool" but one thing that drives me crazy is when the upper and lower are 2 different colors.  So I have done a lot of research on who has the closest match to Bushy's lowers.  It seems like White Oak is probably the best match along with CMT.  I still haven't decided if I am getting the White Oak or the CMT but I am leaning towards thr CMT.

Good luck

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
My CMT A3 Upper matches my BM Lower exactly.
14.5" BM 1/9 NATO w/Perm. Phantom 5C1

Denny has them for $95 shipped in the EE for the Non-M4 Feedramp Cut CMT A3 Complete Upper Receiver.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all who replied.  I feel alot more confident about going with a CMT/RRA upper, plus I'll save a little $$.  Highstrung, nice looking weapon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Over the last two years I converted all of my A1 and A2 uppers to flattops.  I bought a few of the "blemished" uppers from LAR, I have one now, and a deputy friend has the other on his AR-15.

The other flattops I purchased from J&T.  They were $115 which included fwd asst and dust cover, installed.

They will fit and match your Bushmaster lower... unless your lower is the famous "Bushmaster Purple".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top