BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/11/2005 1:39:55 PM EDT
What is the most careless, stupid, dangerous thing you have ever seen someone do with an AR-15 at the range?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
a good friend covered me with the muzzle after chambering a round

he laughed it off when I ducked/ sidestepped...nothing humorous about it all.

loaded or unloaded...keep it "off" of me.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I seen a guy lay his weapon sideways on the bench while loade3d and chambered instead of locking the bolt open and having it pointing down range.

He got banned from the range.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw a 10.5" SBR with a collapsible wire stock once.

Stupid because we aren't allowed to have SBR's in IL.

I've only been to an actual range about 4 times, so my experiences are few.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
HAd a guy about 80 yrs old sweep me with the barrel of a pistol while having a hard time pulling the slide back. To top it all off his son told me I was rapid firing my AR later in the day. I told him to show me where on the rule board it said I couldn't or go pound sand. He went pounding sand.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone who hands a loaded weapon to someone who has no clue how to use it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
You do not even have to go to the range. Check back awhile on this site and check out the ROTC boys  pointing there weapons at each other and the pumpkin shooting brigaide-ETOH and all -was just as.........
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Not an AR, but my personal favorite was the complete idiot who turned around at his bench with a condition 1 M1A , pointing his muzzle at me with his finger on the trigger...........to catch his diet Pepsi.  Fortunately, he realized he was an idiot and apologized profusely, which puts him way ahead of the guys who act like nothing happened.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't really seen anything careless w/ an AR15. I did however have an old man next to me yell "CLEAR" and sent his wife down range to put up his targets. Problem was all the lanes were full and people were 1/2 way through mags, and he never "consulted" anyone about the range going cold.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I haven't really seen anything careless w/ an AR15. I did however have an old man next to me yell "CLEAR" and sent his wife down range to put up his targets. Problem was all the lanes were full and people were 1/2 way through mags, and he never "consulted" anyone about the range going cold.

This pisses me off!!!  And it happens all the time.  It really is amazing there aren't more accidents on the range.

My experience wasn't with an AR but my friend discharged my SKS approximately 2" from my knee.
I told him I would never shoot with him again unless he learned to safely and properly handle a weapon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Only been to a range once, and it wasn't very fun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Princeton, MN ARFCOM shoot and someones friend swept the firing line
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Slightly OT, as it didnt involve an AR, BUT,

I went shooting with a friend of mine, who brought a friend.  He brought a Hi-Point 9mm pistol, I was standing behind him watching him shoot when it jammed (POS).  He tried racking the slide and couldnt get the jam to free.  So he turns around towards me, with finger on the trigger, while he's still fucking with the slide, to ask me what to do.  I side stepped, grabbed his wrist and the gun pointed them away from me, and then took the gun and cleared it.  I'm lucky I didnt get shot in the gut.  Dumbshit.

I dont let friends of mine bring friends to go shooting anymore.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
We have corrigated tin roofing over the benches at my range. I've never seen it happen but I am always amazed at the number of holes in the roof. How does that happen?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We have corrigated tin roofing over the benches at my range. I've never seen it happen but I am always amazed at the number of holes in the roof. How does that happen?

I've seen them too and I hope those are just assholes and not NDs
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, at the indoor range I shoot my handguns at I have seen bullet holes in the ceiling directly about where you stand.  If I saw someone do that I think I would be leaving.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#16]
not dangerous, but I was shooting at a public range a few weeks ago, and these guys come up after we've been shooting for a while.  we clear our weapons and let them go put a target out.  since it's a public range, you have to bring your own target stands.  this jerkoff walks downrange and covers up my FRESH shoot n' see target on my NICE target stand with his damn 2'x2' massive target, and walks back like nothing's wrong.  i was pissed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Which is exactly why THIS is my range.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#18]
i had a little kid point a loaded gun at me with finger on the trigger at a indoor range, father had 3 kids all shooting and was not paying attention while his kid was turning to talk to his dad... i had to push the gun so it pointed down range... i was worried the kid was going to push the trigger if i did that...

and steve-oh, thats by utah lake right?
every time i go there i allways go to the top of that thing so i have a nice clear view of the moutian side... i allways have people shooting at the bottom up.. had a few wiz by my friend and i. kidna looks like you shoot to the left side tho, never had a problem comeing from over there. my fav is when this one older guy driveing a ford pickup comes out to set his target on the rocks... BING WIZZ
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a pawn store clerk take a pistol from the display case with her finger on the trigger. I told her that I would appreciate it if she did not do that but she blew me off... I will not be going back!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What is the most careless, stupid, dangerous thing you have ever seen someone do with an AR-15 at the range?

Ft. Benning, OSUT (basic training/ait to you lower life forms), two minutes after the "no brass, no ammo drill sergeant!!!" ammo check to be cleared off the range. The kid right in front of me sees this big ass crow on the power line running to the range control tower. He takes a careful aim, rotates to semi, squeezes, and BOOM! the damn weapon goes off!!! You can imagine what happened to him right afterwards.

Its funny that he missed the chamber on visual inspection as part of the no brass no ammo protocol. Equally funny the range nco didn't notice his bolt was forward on the rodding off the range procedure. So he rodded down against the bullet, but didn't push hard enough to eject it, or realize he didn't hear a bolt slap shut to begin with.

So multiple errors that could have ended tragic, and with lots of failsafes failing....
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Was not with an AR, but I took a friend shooting who had never been before.

Had a Glock 34 and he was getting ready to pull the trigger and I noticed his thumb is right behind the slide. Thankfully I saw this and stopped him before he had a bad day.

Since then, I don't take nOObs shooting anymore. If you don't know, go pay someone to teach you!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ft. Benning, OSUT (basic training/ait to you lower life forms), two minutes after the "no brass, no ammo drill sergeant!!!" ammo check to be cleared off the range. The kid right in front of me sees this big ass crow on the power line running to the range control tower. He takes a careful aim, rotates to semi, squeezes, and BOOM! the damn weapon goes off!!! You can imagine what happened to him right afterwards.

Its funny that he missed the chamber on visual inspection as part of the no brass no ammo protocol. Equally funny the range nco didn't notice his bolt was forward on the rodding off the range procedure. So he rodded down against the bullet, but didn't push hard enough to eject it, or realize he didn't hear a bolt slap shut to begin with.

So multiple errors that could have ended tragic, and with lots of failsafes failing....

did he at least hit the crow?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Was not with an AR, but I took a friend shooting who had never been before.

Had a Glock 34 and he was getting ready to pull the trigger and I noticed his thumb is right behind the slide. Thankfully I saw this and stopped him before he had a bad day.

Since then, I don't take nOObs shooting anymore. If you don't know, go pay someone to teach you!!

Take friends shooting all the time.. but I go over the basics first!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

nope, but he got the undying love and affection of every DI there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

WIZZO

How do you know he wasn't a dealer?
A class 3 dealer/licensed class 3 manufacturer doesn't fall under the state rules since they can sell to LE etc.  IIRC
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

How do you know he wasn't a dealer?
A class 3 dealer/licensed class 3 manufacturer doesn't fall under the state rules since they can sell to LE etc.  IIRC

There might have been that remote possibility, but the rifle looked old, he had 2 kids shooting with him, and the only other rifles he had on the table were an old 10/22 and a beat up SKS. The guy himself was rather un-kempt looking, too. Did  I mention one of the 12 year olds was shooting it unspervised when I showed up?

I didn't ask any questions, didn't call any Range officers over, didn't make a fuss. I kept my trap shut. It wasn't any of my business and it wasn't my ass that would have had some 'splainin to do.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Not really an AR-15 story, but crazy anyways so here goes:

Back in 1997, my LRSD company had worked it out to have some of our guys do SME training to our parent unit (14th MI Battalion) on the M60 LMG. Now, LRSD is basically filled with a bunch of HSLD guys, but the US Army likes to attach LRSD units to Military Intelligence Battalions (because of the LRS mission). Most of these guys/gals are analysts, and don't do alot of FTX's outside of the standard twice-a-year routine. They go to the range only to qualify, and don't get the kind of trigger time we'd like. So anyway, 14th MI gives us about 30 joes to take to the range to qualify on the M60. Well, one guy saw how we normally had all our weapons dummy-corded to ourselves with 550 (SOP for my company), and decides he is gonna do the same, on a range.  He takes about a 6' length of 550 cord, ties it around the trigger guard, and ties the other end to his LBV.

About two hours goes by on the "short range" on tripods, then we rotate next door to the 800m "record" range, in which you get a 200 round belt, an assistant gunner to feed the M60, and something like 15 popup targets spread out from 25 meters to 800 meters. So, this guys' turn comes up, he gets in the bunker, pops the legs on the bipod, and has his AG ready the belt. Go time came, and he starts firing at the first target that pops, at 150m. Does two 6-9 round bursts, and the target falls. Two more targets pop - he misses the first, hits the second. Somehow, the 550 cord has worked its way underneath the trigger (M60's have a solid trigger that extends all the way back into the grip). On his next burst, the 550 cord jams the trigger back, and the the gun starts running like a bat out of hell. The look on his face says "why the hell is this happening?!", so he lets go of the gun! The AG finally tore the belt off after about 80-odd rounds had gone off.

No one was hurt, but we watched the tracers go all over the range at every firing angle imaginable. Guy was pulled from the range, and we ended up with a standing joke that stayed with him until he PCS'd.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#29]
A friend was shooting my 9mm AR for the first time when I noticed chunks of the ceiling falling down.  My mistake, he was aiming with only the front sight post, I failed to explain that "you have to look through the hole first."  The range officer didnt notice, it wasnt until I fired a 32rd mag rapid fire that he came snooping around.  He saw the pile of ceiling pieces on the floor and suggested that i use sandbags if I shoot that fast again.  It wasnt my shots, but I had to take the blame.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Letting non English speaking idiots shoot at the range ranks pretty high on stupidity.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Second best was in boot camp.  We're shooting A1's converted to .22 long rifle when one of the guys on the line has a 22 shell land inside his glasses.  The hot shell is pinned against his face right below his eye and he starts thrashing around.  The range officers had to grab him and his gun and he was done for the day.  The funniest part was watching him walk around for a week with a 22 casing burn below his eye, it was a detailed burn, you could even see the rim.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:08:21 AM EDT
[#32]
the other day at the indoor range, this kid apparently brought his girlfriend shooting(a good date) but in this kids case very bad...he rented a handgun so automatically i knew he didnt have much experience, i dont know if he was trying to show off or be a badass but he put the target on the holder..instead of putting it out a few yards he stepped back from the line against the glass and put the glock in his pants...he pulled it out (in what appeared to be some sort of fantasy scenario) and held it sideways one handed and said what now bitch and started shooting like carzy..not only did he rapid fire(rules posted 1 shot 1 sec) but he stepped back from the line..his girlfriend was still at the line...muzzle blast in her face!!!!!! worst thing i have ever seen..might i add this was in california so yea...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll just recount this weekend's experience. Two idiots show up with single-shot SKSs and fire them from the hip.

Single shot SKS? didn't know they made one, huh?

They didn't know how to load the magazine from the clip. They had ammo on clips, and they would peel one off, toss it in, release the bolt, fire from the hip. repeat.

They cleared out the range - everyone else left when they showed up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:52:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
the other day at the indoor range, this kid apparently brought his girlfriend shooting(a good date) but in this kids case very bad...he rented a handgun so automatically i knew he didnt have much experience, i dont know if he was trying to show off or be a badass but he put the target on the holder..instead of putting it out a few yards he stepped back from the line against the glass and put the glock in his pants...he pulled it out (in what appeared to be some sort of fantasy scenario) and held it sideways one handed and said what now bitch and started shooting like carzy..not only did he rapid fire(rules posted 1 shot 1 sec) but he stepped back from the line..his girlfriend was still at the line...muzzle blast in her face!!!!!! worst thing i have ever seen..might i add this was in california so yea...

Dangerous but still really friggin funny. I got a good laugh with this one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
the other day at the indoor range, this kid apparently brought his girlfriend shooting(a good date) but in this kids case very bad...he rented a handgun so automatically i knew he didnt have much experience, i dont know if he was trying to show off or be a badass but he put the target on the holder..instead of putting it out a few yards he stepped back from the line against the glass and put the glock in his pants...he pulled it out (in what appeared to be some sort of fantasy scenario) and held it sideways one handed and said what now bitch and started shooting like carzy..not only did he rapid fire(rules posted 1 shot 1 sec) but he stepped back from the line..his girlfriend was still at the line...muzzle blast in her face!!!!!! worst thing i have ever seen..might i add this was in california so yea... hr

This reminds me of a funny story.  My wife started shooting fairly recently.  She bought her own handgun, a SW99 in .40 S&W.  We were at the range a couple of months ago and there were two gangster thug types shooting a 9mm a few benches down acting all crazy.  Shooting sideways, that sort of thing.  They didn't do anything dangerous that I saw, but gangster thugs at the range shooting guns they bought that day while holding them sideways makes me nervous anyway.  So they are acting like they are total bad asses.  My wife pulls out her .40 and starts shooting.  There's no need to tell you all that a .40 is a lot louder and more powerful than a 9mm.  Anyways, my wife is fairly small so the SW99 seems even bigger, louder, and more powerful than it normally would.  The funniest thing I ever saw was the look on the gangster thugs faces when she started shooting and they realized a 'girl' had a bigger, more powerful gun than they did.  I think it ruined there day.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:51:36 AM EDT
[#36]
From the good old days when I was in the Corps.  I spent an 11 month stint on Range 214 just outside Camp Horno at Pendleton.  This is a KD (Known Distance) range, so between our 75 targets and the 150 at Edson Range, we saw everybody at Pendleton for their annual quals.  

Never any problems with the Marines, but come the weekend, usually about once a month or so, we had Reserve and P.D. units stop by.  The P.D.'s were cool, mostly SWAT guys needing some long distance practice not available to them at their ranges or San Diego P.D. and North County Sheriffs ranges were booked.  We would usually end up with some beer and steaks as a way of saying sorry for makin you work on Saturday & Sunday.  Plus they brought some exotics.  And we got to shoot too.  

Reserve units, whole different ball game.  Uncle does not let these guys shoot much, even the Marines, but we had Army & Navy  and Guard types shoot too (working Pitt NCOIC on Sat and have an Admiral Selectee SeaBee type pulling targets, damn cool for a Lance Corporal, but the Admiral was a very cool guy.  Took his rank off and said your in charge.) I loved it.

But, things could be very scary.  We had ammo in stripper clips inserted into mag wells, (my bullets keep falling out....oh we have to put them in the magazine first?) a Guard E-9 who did not know how to pull the bolt back, kept looking for the little button to activate the electric motor to open the bolt, mags in backwards (force it enough, its possible with old worn out mags and worn out A1's) and bullets inserted primer first into the chamber and smashed in with the bolt.  

This last one was damn scary for our assigned armorer.  Good kid, first duty assignment was to the very laid back environment of Training Facilities Operations, TFO, (any Jarheads here, we were Crestline & Longrifle, Range Maintenance and the KD ranges)

Anyways we got an unsafe gun, its Saturday, gettin late, the gun is locked up tight, Leathermans are not yet common, and all we have is some cleaning rods.  Ok, improvise time.  Armorer is at the 300 line, we put him in a flak jacket and helmets, tuck gun tight under his arm, another flak jacket around gun, sort of, and proceed to beat on the cleaning rods to get the round loose, with the knowledge that we are beating on a live primer and live round.  

Anyways, it all goes ok, round or whats left of it,  finally comes out, Armorer is ok, (we get him drunk later) and proceed to make some time with the Guard Chicks.  Typical weekend shoot with Guard & Reserves.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#37]
What the shit? That is the most insane thing I've ever heard of as far as range mistakes. If that happened at one of the ranges I go to, they would be permanently banned, and there is a board with photos of people along with incident who are banned.

What the hell was that guy thinking?? That everyone was going to instantly hear him and turn his way to yield to his wife going down range?

Maybe he was trying to get her killed for insurance money!!!

- rem

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:29:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What the shit? That is the most insane thing I've ever heard of as far as range mistakes. If that happened at one of the ranges I go to, they would be permanently banned, and there is a board with photos of people along with incident who are banned.

What the hell was that guy thinking?? That everyone was going to instantly hear him and turn his way to yield to his wife going down range?

Maybe he was trying to get her killed for insurance money!!!

- rem

Quoted:

I couldn't believe it either. My brother was actually shooting my AR at the time, and I thought the guy was saying "CLEAR" as in it's clear to go ahead and shoot. My brother asked me what to do, and I said just keep shooting cause obviously no cease fire had been called. Well, that's when his wife starts trotting down the lane. My brother put the AR down immediately, but didn't have time to drop the mag or empty the chamber and we didn't want to handle a "live" firearm when she was down range. RO comes around and tells us that we should have cleared our weapon, but he didn't realize what had happened. Well, by this time the old lady was putting up the target and grandpa starts fiddling with his scope. The RO yelled at him to not touch his gun while there were people down range. They started arguing. We left.

Funny thing is, before any of this had happened he had set up in the lane to our right. He kept getting hit in the back with brass. No big deal I figure. He kept yelling, "I'm getting beat to death, here." He made his wife move all his shit over to the lane to our left. Total idiot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This reminds me of a funny story.  My wife started shooting fairly recently.  She bought her own handgun, a SW99 in .40 S&W.  We were at the range a couple of months ago and there were two gangster thug types shooting a 9mm a few benches down acting all crazy.  Shooting sideways, that sort of thing.  They didn't do anything dangerous that I saw, but gangster thugs at the range shooting guns they bought that day while holding them sideways makes me nervous anyway.  So they are acting like they are total bad asses.  My wife pulls out her .40 and starts shooting.  There's no need to tell you all that a .40 is a lot louder and more powerful than a 9mm.  Anyways, my wife is fairly small so the SW99 seems even bigger, louder, and more powerful than it normally would.  The funniest thing I ever saw was the look on the gangster thugs faces when she started shooting and they realized a 'girl' had a bigger, more powerful gun than they did.  I think it ruined there day.  

No offense, but I shot my 9mm G17 next to a 45 Auto and next to a 40 S&W Glock 22 and could not tell any difference between the calibers from the sound. They all went "POP" when you fired it... I thought 45 Auto and 40 would go KAPLOW! but nope, just "POP".
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I noticed a lot of hunters get irrate if you rapid fire or show up with an AR at the range the month or two prior to hunting season.  For some reason they think they own the range that time of year.

They usually complain that they can not sight in their gun with all that noise!  Apparently they think that is a good excuse why they can't hit a target at 100 yards with a scope and need to put a 6' x 6' piece of cardboard behind their target to see where the hell the bullet went because it never hit the paper.   I lost count of how many times in the last month or two I was at the range and a hunter could not hit a target a 100 yards and had to ask the range officer for help.

This is main reason I do not hunt.  Because of the idiot hunters.  Please do not take offense to this if you are a hunter, I am obviously only talking about the idiots.  I have heard stories around here of farmers painting the word COW on their cows in hunter orange paint, same for horses.  I do not want to be out in the woods when I know there are people out there with guns that can't tell the difference between a cow and a deer.  I only hope they can read the word COW.

Anyways, I think when you go to a gun range you should expect a lot of noise and you should expect to get hit with brass.   I was there the other day and there was a youger boy shooting a Mini-14.  Man that thing throws the brass far.  I was quite a ways down and every one landed on me.  He apologized after the first one and was going to stop shooting.  I told him to not worry about it, it was all part of the fun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Apologies for a non AR event, but if one is on the wrong end, it makes no difference.  This goes back to when PDs were still pretty much revolver oriented.  Our indoor private range had contracts with several of the small, local PDs to use the facility for training to save them money (overtime, travel, etc.)  We kept one side isolated from the public so they could set their stages and have the officers rotate in, qual and go back on duty.  As the RO for their training, I was assisting their Training Officer on running the stages.

This time, all the stages were night/reduced vision oriented.  This particualr stage was range lights off, flashlight only, illuminate, ID target, draw, fire one round only, reholster.  Dept. Training Officer on shooters right, me shooters left rear like we would be clearing a room.  TO yells "gun", Trainee gets all three instructions done.  Problem is, first two are out of sequence.  Fires one round through holster, points revolver downrange, reholsters.  Point of impact, two o'clock, six inches off my right foot.  Lead spatter on pant leg, wearing boots, no harm, but and .  Guess who yells "cease fire" before TO since the TO didn't realise the "problem" and was about to repeat the stage (stage called for six reps).

Luckily the only "real" casualties were the holster and a 1" bald spot in carpet on firing line.  Had contact actually occured, would have been same leg I took one in from my last "serious social discussion".
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I noticed a lot of hunters get irrate if you rapid fire or show up with an AR at the range the month or two prior to hunting season.  For some reason they think they own the range that time of year.

They usually complain that they can not sight in their gun with all that noise!  Apparently they think that is a good excuse why they can't hit a target at 100 yards with a scope and need to put a 6' x 6' piece of cardboard behind their target to see where the hell the bullet went because it never hit the paper.   I lost count of how many times in the last month or two I was at the range and a hunter could not hit a target a 100 yards and had to ask the range officer for help.

This is main reason I do not hunt.  Because of the idiot hunters.  Please do not take offense to this if you are a hunter, I am obviously only talking about the idiots.  I have heard stories around here of farmers painting the word COW on their cows in hunter orange paint, same for horses.  I do not want to be out in the woods when I know there are people out there with guns that can't tell the difference between a cow and a deer.  I only hope they can read the word COW.

Anyways, I think when you go to a gun range you should expect a lot of noise and you should expect to get hit with brass.   I was there the other day and there was a youger boy shooting a Mini-14.  Man that thing throws the brass far.  I was quite a ways down and every one landed on me.  He apologized after the first one and was going to stop shooting.  I told him to not worry about it, it was all part of the fun.

LOL..that happened here in PA... Clinton County.  A guy painted his cows, horses, sheep, and dog orange so that hunters wouldn't shoot them.  Crazy bastard
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
LOL..that happened here in PA... Clinton County.  A guy painted his cows, horses, sheep, and dog orange so that hunters wouldn't shoot them.  Crazy bastard

A guy out here in WI paints his cows bright orange.

And every year someone shoots a cow!

Av.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#44]
We get that here in MI too... crazy bolt-gun deer hunters all give me evil looks. Just for shits and kicks I decided to bring my Glock 17 w/ 33rd mags and the AR-15 w/ 30rd mags to the range one weekend.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Had a pawn store clerk take a pistol from the display case with her finger on the trigger. I told her that I would appreciate it if she did not do that but she blew me off... I will not be going back!!!

Same thing happen in Birmingham, Alabama, a couple of months ago with grave consequences.  Lady went to a pawn store looking to purchase a pistol.  Not seeing what she wanted, she asked the clerk if she could look at his personal carry pistol.  As clerk took the pistol from his holster and handed it to customer, gun went off killing customer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#46]

noticed a lot of hunters get irrate if you rapid fire or show up with an AR at the range the month or two prior to hunting season. For some reason they think they own the range that time of year.

They usually complain that they can not sight in their gun with all that noise! Apparently they think that is a good excuse why they can't hit a target at 100 yards with a scope and need to put a 6' x 6' piece of cardboard behind their target to see where the hell the bullet went because it never hit the paper. I lost count of how many times in the last month or two I was at the range and a hunter could not hit a target a 100 yards and had to ask the range officer for help.

This is main reason I do not hunt. Because of the idiot hunters. Please do not take offense to this if you are a hunter, I am obviously only talking about the idiots. I have heard stories around here of farmers painting the word COW on their cows in hunter orange paint, same for horses. I do not want to be out in the woods when I know there are people out there with guns that can't tell the difference between a cow and a deer. I only hope they can read the word COW.

Anyways, I think when you go to a gun range you should expect a lot of noise and you should expect to get hit with brass. I was there the other day and there was a youger boy shooting a Mini-14. Man that thing throws the brass far. I was quite a ways down and every one landed on me. He apologized after the first one and was going to stop shooting. I told him to not worry about it, it was all part of the fun.

Oh, I hear that.

I shoot on public ranges that are maintained by the PA Game Comission.  There is one a few miles from my house, and one a few miles from where my shooting buddy lives.  His range has a seperate 7-25-50 pistol range and 100 and 200-300 rifle ranges.  Very nice, except you aren't supposed to load more than 3 rounds in a mag on the rifle ranges, since they're all on state gameland. (6 for pistol).

Obviously, we get lots of hunters.  Most of them, truly, have a hard time hitting paper at 100 yards with scoped bolt guns, and a few start grumbling when we outshoot them offhand with irons.  Most of them think the AR's are really cool, but occasionally we get one of the "Whatchya need one of them there ay-salt guns fo, you can't hunt no deers with that thang"  

At the range by me, though, we're closer to Philly, so sometimes half the guys there have black rifles of some sort.  We also get gang banger idiots from time to time.

Usually the ranges are very safe, because people cooperate -- armed society being polite, and all.  When you want to go downrange, the thing to do is usually to stand behind your table.  Most people do the same when they notice someone else wants a break, and you wait a minute or two while the last guy finishes his mag then looks around and realizes everyone else is standing up.  Works surprisingly well.

However, things I've seen -

- About 1 out every 4 range trips, some idiot sweeps someone with a weapon.

- Almost invariably, those same idiots fiddle with their weapons while people are downrange.

- There is this one old fart who likes to stand up all of the sudden and walk downrange while people are shooting.  Says, "but y'all shooting over there, and I'm over here".

- One of the Game officers who maintains the ranges actually drove right out in front of me in a truck, ONTO the range, while I was in the middle of firing my Glock.  WTF.

- Similarly, more than once I've had people standing next to me run out in front of me while I was taking up the slack on my Glock.  Look on their faces when they realize what they just did is priceless.  No one does it more than once.  Never figured out why the hell they decided it was OK to go downrange.  (they sure didn't say anything, I wear Peltors)

- A family of fatasses - brothers -- who come out with their 14 y/o son/nephew to let him shoot shotguns before his first hunt.  Giant collection of poorly maintained cheap ass pump and break action 12ga guns.  None of them uses earpro.  They shoot for an hour until the loud noise makes the kid sick, then hand him a 3 1/2" slug and say, "Heah boy, try THIS, hehe, snort, hehehe".  The boy, not as much of an idiot as his elders, refuses.  I tried to find him some extra plugs, but I didn't have any that day (now a carry a shitload of them).  When he complained about the noise, they ridiculed him, told him he has to "get used to" the noise, and asked him how he was supposed to hunt with ear plugs in.   Idiots.

- Similar, but not as slobbish, idiot brings his wife and daughter (probably 8 years old or so) to the range.  It's the little girl's first time shooting.  What gun does he choose for her?  A .243 bolt gun with a short barrel and hard rubber buttplate.  Jackass.  After 2 shots where the guy totally failed to show her how to shoulder it correctly, she refuses to shoot anymore.

- Daddy bringing lots of little kids, mostly girls, along with them to the range, then not giving them earpro and forgetting about them for 2 hours while they shoot their latest stupid ass 1911 or 30-30.

The unsafe stuff is bad enough, but what they do with the kids is the worst.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Yeah, at the indoor range I shoot my handguns at I have seen bullet holes in the ceiling directly about where you stand.  If I saw someone do that I think I would be leaving.

No, no.... At least they were in the ceiling. One local range here had bullet holes in the sides of the lane cubicles. That's a castration offense if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't go to a range, I have a big hill behind my house and I set up targets out to 100yards there.  I have buddies come over and stuff to shoot all the time and I get to choose who is there.  The stupidest thing I see?  I have a Blue Heeler that likes to stand infront of the shooter about 10 yards out, and everytime you shoot she flips in the air.......  Does that count? haha

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#49]
At my old gun clubs range,  only one their so I had my Glock holstered while throwing lead with my Remington.  Buddy of mine knew I was there and walks 200 yards to sneak up on me.  Ear pro and side sheilded glasses I didn't know anyone was coming up behind me.  I feel a hand on my back and my Glock get yanked on.  Right hand goes to the hand on my Glock pressing down as hard as I can. Left elbow goes wild behind me hitting my friend in his temple knocking him smooth the fuck out.   He wasn't pissed at me know, he knew it was his fault.  Had that Glock been loaded, he woulda been shot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I don't go to a range, I have a big hill behind my house and I set up targets out to 100yards there.  I have buddies come over and stuff to shoot all the time and I get to choose who is there.  The stupidest thing I see?  I have a Blue Heeler that likes to stand infront of the shooter about 10 yards out, and everytime you shoot she flips in the air.......  Does that count? haha

It might if she is in mid-air during a fast double tap and just like in shooting, a lot depends on the amount of elevation!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top