Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2008 7:19:41 PM EDT
I'm planning on putting a 1" diam. scope on my flattop AR and am wondering if there's any benefit to using something like the BRW one piece mount as opposed to standard tall rings, like Burris Signature Zees, which are what I have on my bolt gun.  The AR is basically babied and not subjected to a lot of harsh treatment.  Is there any good reason to go with the one piece that I'm missing?  Also, who else, if anyone, makes this type of mount?

Thanks,

-- Sam
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Before you spend any moeny, read this

Everything you wanted to know about one-piece scope mounts but were afraid to ask.

The mount you linked to might not put the scope far enough forward.

I can vouch for two brands of one-piece mounts.

If you have the money, Get the Larue mount.  It's the best on the market.

If you want to save a buck, the Armalite mount is a good choice.

I use both and they are both excellent.

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
^^ Thanks, I'll read that.  I'll have to check the relief.

FWIW, the scope I'm planning on mounting has a 42mm objective, so I need to get a pretty high mount.

-- Sam
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#3]
the LaRue spr 1.93 mount is high.
The 1.5 is standard.
The numbers 1.5 and 1.93 is the centerline of the scope tube compared
to the top of the receiver in inches.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for the LaRue mount.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
For a target/varmint rig that will have its scope mounted zeroed and left in place there is very little reason to spend the money for the QD mounts out there. If you want a one piece mount, the Armalite is gtg for fixed mounting. The problem with just a straight up set of tall rings is that many time syou will have eye relief problems, generally the Armalite will push the optic out to where your eye relief will be right.

Well here's a thought:  Are there any two piece units out there worth considering?  I know I need a high, offset ring in the front (at least), but are there any specifically designed to work with the AR platform?

Thanks for the replies so far,

-- Sam
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Another thought:  How about an offset secondary rail that can be mounted forward on the receiver, and with rings mounted to it?  Does anyone make such a thing?

-- Sam
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Another thought:  How about an offset secondary rail that can be mounted forward on the receiver, and with rings mounted to it?  Does anyone make such a thing?

-- Sam

Yup.

YHM 5" riser with Burris medium rings.  Puts the centerline of the scope at 1.71".  They also sell a 6" riser which would give more adjustment to play with eye relief, you can see I had to push the scope all the way forward.  Total out the door should be about $80 for the rings and riser.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!  Yep, a little astute shopping on my part turned up both the YHM and a Millet riser that would work.  

Just out of curiousity, do you know the length of the eyepiece on that Millet DMS?  I've read it's "big" but never seen it spec'd.

-- Sam
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks!  Yep, a little astute shopping on my part turned up both the YHM and a Millet riser that would work.  

Just out of curiousity, do you know the length of the eyepiece on that Millet DMS?  I've read it's "big" but never seen it spec'd.

-- Sam

Just went and measured for ya.  I come up with 4 1/8" from the back end to the first smooth part of the tube that a ring can mount on.  There will be a small variance depending on how much you need to adjust the occular to focus.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#11]
An ARMS #36 extender / riser would also work but it would not allow a BUIS.  I have one for sale in the EE.  If you are interested, IM me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Just went and measured for ya.  I come up with 4 1/8" from the back end to the first smooth part of the tube that a ring can mount on.  There will be a small variance depending on how much you need to adjust the occular to focus.

Wow, thanks!  I appreciate it.

Major indecision on the home front here...

-- Sam
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I you have no FSB,you could mount Warn maxima perm rings right to the upper and save a bunch of money . I have done this to my Colt 6724 and it has been a sub moa (1/2 inch 5 shot groups) with Black Hills 75 grain blue box and a stock trigger . the scope is nice and low and you can get a great cheek weld with the Colt stock.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top