Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/19/2009 7:19:18 PM EST
I followed the instructions, at least I thought, when I did my YHM Free float quad rail. Tonight while taking a punch and knocking out the trigger guard roll pin I picked up the rifle grabbing it by the locking ring (of the railed handguard) and it was loose.

The rail must've loosened up while at the range, I can't see the vibration from hammering a pin on the lower breaking it loose. The rail wasn't going anywhere because of the set screws but it was loose on the upper. I turned the locking ring tight by hand then took a brass punch and started tapping it tighter by the 4 notches. The brass punch actually peened one of the ring notches so I took a flatblade screw driver and tapped it tight

Should I loosen it back up and blue lock tight the locking ring?

The instructions only said to blue lock tight the set screws.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:49:24 AM EST
I assume this is one of their std ffs? Not lw or diamond?
I had this exact same problem. That is why their newer handguards have the anti rotation screws. I'm not a fan of lock tight, so I ended up buying a new lw ff. Probably cheaper options but oh well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:27:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By JeffCsr:
I followed the instructions, at least I thought, when I did my YHM Free float quad rail. Tonight while taking a punch and knocking out the trigger guard roll pin I picked up the rifle grabbing it by the locking ring (of the railed handguard) and it was loose.

The rail must've loosened up while at the range, I can't see the vibration from hammering a pin on the lower breaking it loose. The rail wasn't going anywhere because of the set screws but it was loose on the upper. I turned the locking ring tight by hand then took a brass punch and started tapping it tighter by the 4 notches. The brass punch actually peened one of the ring notches so I took a flatblade screw driver and tapped it tight

I lock tight anything with a thread.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:39:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:
I assume this is one of their std ffs? Not lw or diamond?
I had this exact same problem. That is why their newer handguards have the anti rotation screws. I'm not a fan of lock tight, so I ended up buying a new lw ff. Probably cheaper options but oh well.

Hrm, it's the standard railed but it does have the anti-rotation screws. They kept it from moving more than a 1mm or 2mm but I hadn't realized the locking ring wasn't tight.

Originally Posted By Maryland_Shooter:
Originally Posted By JeffCsr:

I lock tight anything with a thread.

I might loosen the ring and put some blue loc-tite back on there... It was my intention to have this be solid. I checked for the YHM tool to tighten this locking ring and no one has one. I guess flat blade screw driver is good enough?

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:17:55 AM EST

[/quote]

I might loosen the ring and put some blue loc-tite back on there... It was my intention to have this be solid. I checked for the YHM tool to tighten this locking ring and no one has one. I guess flat blade screw driver is good enough?

[/quote]

I JUST picked one up from brightflashlights dot com, along with a YHM FF... great guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:33:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2009 7:39:46 AM EST by JeffCsr]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:

I JUST picked one up from brightflashlights dot com, along with a YHM FF... great guys.

That's where I got mine too, couldn't pass up that deal.
Top Top