Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 8:19:18 PM EDT
I followed the instructions, at least I thought, when I did my YHM Free float quad rail.  Tonight while taking a punch and knocking out the trigger guard roll pin I picked up the rifle grabbing it by the locking ring (of the railed handguard) and it was loose.

The rail must've loosened up while at the range, I can't see the vibration from hammering a pin on the lower breaking it loose.  The rail wasn't going anywhere because of the set screws but it was loose on the upper.  I turned the locking ring tight by hand then took a brass punch and started tapping it tighter by the 4 notches.  The brass punch actually peened one of the ring notches  so I took a flatblade screw driver and tapped it tight

Should I loosen it back up and blue lock tight the locking ring?  

The instructions only said to blue lock tight the set screws.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume this is one of their std ffs? Not lw or diamond?
I had this exact same problem.  That is why their newer handguards have the anti rotation screws. I'm not a fan of lock tight, so I ended up buying a new lw ff.  Probably cheaper options but oh well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I followed the instructions, at least I thought, when I did my YHM Free float quad rail.  Tonight while taking a punch and knocking out the trigger guard roll pin I picked up the rifle grabbing it by the locking ring (of the railed handguard) and it was loose.

The rail must've loosened up while at the range, I can't see the vibration from hammering a pin on the lower breaking it loose.  The rail wasn't going anywhere because of the set screws but it was loose on the upper.  I turned the locking ring tight by hand then took a brass punch and started tapping it tighter by the 4 notches.  The brass punch actually peened one of the ring notches  so I took a flatblade screw driver and tapped it tight

I lock tight anything with a thread.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I assume this is one of their std ffs? Not lw or diamond?
I had this exact same problem.  That is why their newer handguards have the anti rotation screws. I'm not a fan of lock tight, so I ended up buying a new lw ff.  Probably cheaper options but oh well.

Hrm, it's the standard railed but it does have the anti-rotation screws.  They kept it from moving more than a 1mm or 2mm  but I hadn't realized the locking ring wasn't tight.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

I lock tight anything with a thread.

I might loosen the ring and put some blue loc-tite back on there...  It was my intention to have this be solid.  I checked for the YHM tool to tighten this locking ring and no one has one.  I guess flat blade screw driver is good enough?  

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]

[/quote]

I might loosen the ring and put some blue loc-tite back on there...  It was my intention to have this be solid.  I checked for the YHM tool to tighten this locking ring and no one has one.  I guess flat blade screw driver is good enough?  

[/quote]

I JUST picked one up from brightflashlights dot com, along with a YHM FF... great guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I JUST picked one up from brightflashlights dot com, along with a YHM FF... great guys.

That's where I got mine too, couldn't pass up that deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top