Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2005 7:05:50 PM EDT
I know this has probably been thrashed to death, but...
Is the main reason for building your own to get it cheap, get more custom options or just the satisfaction?
I have thought about building and found a complete lower for as low as $159.00. Uppers seem to be around $400.00, plus stock plus mags, etc.
It seems cheaper to buy a complete rifle.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:33:41 PM EDT
All of the above,

But if we are using your total of 560USD for a complete lower and upper is still cheaper than most dealer priced firearms.

It helps that AR's are very easy firearms to work on and build.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:42:53 PM EDT
$560.00 plus a stock, plus mags that come with a new rifle. I found some stocks for about $60.00, and a couple of mags should be $30.00-$40.00.
I don't even know what else I will need. I noticed some uppers don't come with a bolt or bolt carrier. Some will need sights.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:19:14 PM EDT
I'm kinda in the same boat...

I was really thinking about building but now I'm thinking buying complete. I'm gonna check out the local gun show, but I called a local dealer and they said out the door 725 for a complete rifle. Is that a good price?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:41:04 PM EDT
You can get a kit for about $475 which includes everything except the lower and mags. A lower can be found for around $100, and mags for $15. Easy for under $600. Even better if you really price shop or take cosmetic blems...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:51:21 PM EDT
You can build rifles and carbines much much cheaper than you can buy. The only trick is that you can't be in a hurry, and you can't be too picky about the configuration.

I'm sure there are people who have built AR15s cheaper than me, but I've done pretty well for myself on a few occasions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:57:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
I'm sure there are people who have built AR15s cheaper than me, but I've done pretty well for myself on a few occasions.

Stick, didn't you have a pic of a super cheap build? And what was the cost again?
Top Top