Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2005 7:05:50 PM EDT
I know this has probably been thrashed to death, but...
Is the main reason for building your own to get it cheap, get more custom options or just the satisfaction?
I have thought about building and found a complete lower for as low as $159.00. Uppers seem to be around $400.00, plus stock plus mags, etc.
It seems cheaper to buy a complete rifle.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
All of the above,

But if we are using your total of 560USD for a complete lower and upper is still cheaper than most dealer priced firearms.

It helps  that AR's are very easy firearms to work on and build.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
$560.00 plus a stock, plus mags that come with a new rifle. I found some stocks for about $60.00, and a couple of mags should be $30.00-$40.00.
I don't even know what else I will need. I noticed some uppers don't come with a bolt or bolt carrier. Some will need sights.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm kinda in the same boat...

I was really thinking about building but now I'm thinking buying complete.  I'm gonna check out the local gun show, but I called a local dealer and they said out the door 725 for a complete rifle.  Is that a good price?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get a kit for about $475 which includes everything except the lower and mags.  A lower can be found for around $100, and mags for $15.  Easy for under $600.  Even better if you really price shop or take cosmetic blems...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You can build rifles and carbines much much cheaper than you can buy.  The only trick is that you can't be in a hurry, and you can't be too picky about the configuration.  

I'm sure there are people who have built AR15s cheaper than me, but I've done pretty well for myself on a few occasions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm sure there are people who have built AR15s cheaper than me, but I've done pretty well for myself on a few occasions.

Stick, didn't you have a pic of a super cheap build?  And what was the cost again?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top