User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2015 11:27:18 PM EDT
Quick, initial review of my AR Pistol from Radical Firearms
Radical Firearms 10.5" AR Pistol 556

Ordering/Customer Service:
First thing I will say is that they had pretty good customer service for me. From pre-order questions like reliability and ammo choices to not having the right options on their website. Either by email or phone I received friendly and helpful service. Tim, I think he is the main guy, replied quickly to my email and concern, even at 4pm on a Saturday. They even give a 5% discount to LE/MIL so that was icing on the cake.

I ended up ordering it on a Wednesday, paid about 529 after the discount and shipping. They say they have a 1-3 week build time so I expected to be waiting forever to get it just like two years ago with PSA. I even called them two days after placing my order to confirm that they had received my FFL’s license and had everything they needed to ship and they said it was in production and everything was good.

I was notified by email exactly 1 week later on a Wednesday that it shipped. UPS 3-Day Select from TX to VA. I think it was delayed because it was Fourth of July weekend. My order arrived on the following Monday and I picked it up on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The AR came in a cardboard box, with bubble wrap and a basic, run-of-the-mills gunlock, as well as a gen 3 pmag. First impression was that it was very light.

After setting it up with some of the accessories I had accumulated, just some Magpul BUIS, a Magpul K2 grip, a Magpul M-Lok AFG and a lancer 20 round magazine. One of the major things I planned on installing was the Thordsen Customs buffer tube kit, which required a new buffer tube to be installed.

The pistol looked nice, the round fore end was light, and comfortable and the top rails matched up almost perfectly. One thing I was surprised to see was an Ergo Grip installed instead of the standard A2. This was a nice unexpected upgrade. One thing I did notice was aluminum specks imbedded in the lower receiver, something I have read is an issue when completing your own 80% lower. Maybe these cheap ARs use “blemished” parts, either way, it doesn’t look like there are any serious visual defects. One thing I did notice that I didn’t know is that the fore end has round holes in a couple different places and these holes are made to accept quick release sling buttons.

When installing the new buffer tube, I did notice that the castle nut was almost hand tight, no Loctite and not staked (I am glad it wasn’t). I replaced this buffer tube with a standard commercial buffer tube in anticipation of installing the Thordsen Kit. The buffer and spring worked fine with my replacement buffer tube and I had no issues installing it. I did however have to slightly sand the piece of plastic that secures the Thordsen cover to the buffer tube in order to fit properly. After that was installed it was a solid piece and I was very happy with my choice.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
When installing the MLOK AFG, I was disappointed to discover that the rail is not MLOK compatible even though I was told it was. After going back to the email and calling them, they told me it isn’t MLOK compatible but is MOE rail compatible, which means I have to remove the fore end by unscrewing the 8 star bolts and pulling the tube off. These bolts did not have any Loctite on them and I feel if they loosen then it could prevent a constant Zero. After modifying the AFG to be flat, getting new hardware from the gun store and removing the fore end, it was difficult to get inside the tube in order to grip the parts necessary to install the AFG. I was able to install it after finding the right pair of pliers and it was a pain to get it perfectly lined up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
First Range trip was a success. Lot of fun to shoot. Zero issues with the AR, even dry, out of the box. It was pretty accurate, more accurate than I am capable of shooting with the BUIS. I sighted in the sights and was able to hit paper at 100yds from a bench (not generally impressive but impressive for me). I used the Thordsen as a cheek rest and it was very comfortable but recoil was pretty harsh. I tried shouldering it jus to try it and the Thordsen is a little uncomfortable when the recoil pushes into the shoulder. Length of pull is good though and the K2 grip helps the short LOP. It wasn’t as loud as I expected as a user, probably no louder than a 308 from a standard length AR. I plan on installing a Lantac Dragon to help with recoil management and hope to report back if it is successful. After about 100 rounds, the rail was very hot, and almost too hot to touch, this may be common. Trigger was not impressive but it is a stock, milspec trigger. All in all, I am very satisfied with the way it shoots and performs for such a budget gun.

By the way, the gun weighs just shy of 6lbs as shown in the photo below.

I am not an expert on ARs or guns, this is my personal opinion and I am in no way connected with Radical Firearms. This gun was something that fit my needs and my budget and I am happy with my purchase. I look forward to reporting back after additional range trips and once installing the Lantac Dragon.

Thanks.

Jester
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 3:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sharing your experience. Great review!
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
So, after a month of owning it I have decided that the fore end on this pistol is kinda cheap. To be expected from a cheap AR, but certainly usable. It just seems to scratch easily and seems like its a little on the cheaper side for material.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the review. I am looking at the same pistol.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
very nice, Ive been eyeing these for some time, please keep us updated with your experience and or issues!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top