Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:43:38 PM EDT
I have an RRA Detachable Tactical Carry Handle on my rifle. It has the battery compartment to hold a spare for an Aimpoint sight.

Well I put a brand new battery (that I made sure worked by running it for an hour in the sight) in the compartment and a few days later when I needed it the battery was dead.

I am thinking that the compartment somehow discharged the battery or something. I can't believe it myself but it is the only explanation I can come up with.

UPDATE

I had the guys at Radio Shack do some testing on the RRA Detachable Tactical Carry Handle and they came up with this conclusion.

It is possible for the handle to drain a battery in the storage compartment if you put it in there with the negative side facing the cap.

If you put it in with the positive side towards the cap you should be fine.

The inside of the cap and he threaded part on the rail are both conductive, but nothing else is.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:48:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:54:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:15:36 AM EDT
[#3]
so far....

...does not work good as a carry handle, not tactical, designed for mounting aimpoint sucks and storage compartment for spare battery eats batteries.

think the intention of the whole thing just went down the drain, sounds like whoever designed it might have lost their job.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
They need to just drop the concept entirely, and make a fixed rear BUIS out of the leftovers.

Since most available options are thumb-screw or QD, I think a rear, fixed BUIS with two hex screws like the Dominator would be a good option.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Agreed.  RRA sent me one on a complete rifle I ordered for a customer that I put a BUIS and Aimpoint on.  I just kept the 'tactical carry handle' to use as a loaner for friends or customers if they have a sight on order that is not in yet.  Big surprise that no one has asked keep it!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Friends don't let friends buy RRA Tactical Carry Handles.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#7]
if i where to get a new rra upper it would be the UTE2 all the way..

best of both worlds irons and rail all built in
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They need to just drop the concept entirely, and make a fixed rear BUIS out of the leftovers.

Since most available options are thumb-screw or QD, I think a rear, fixed BUIS with two hex screws like the Dominator would be a good option.

www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0889X&storeid=1&image=utacute.gif&CFID=10102704&CFTOKEN=75107145

here ya go...this is what i want
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't mean to be dense but what does the RRA Tactical handle look like?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't mean to be dense but what does the RRA Tactical handle look like?

Go here.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]
One of these came on my Hesse. hten
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn thing looks cool but is pretty much worthless, but stop trash talkin' it or there won't be anyone left to buy mine when my carbine finally gets it's facelift.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
if i where to get a new rra upper it would be the UTE2 all the way..

best of both worlds irons and rail all built in

See, I know USMC03 and Steve @ ADCO like them too, and they've both got LOADS more AR-sperience than me...  But I have NO interest in the UTE2.

I just don't see it as a good thing tieing myself permanently to an upper with a built in rear sight of any type.  I like that I have OPTIONS on my flat-tops.  What happens if you buy the UTE2 and get an EOTech, then decide that you need to raise it higher?  I don't know for sure, but it doesn't look like there's enough room for a LaRue riser, and I personally wouldn't trust the YHM riser unless it was a plinker.

Don't get me wrong, I like RRA stuff a LOT.  I have a Dominator on one of my carbines, and it's perfect... BUT it already went from one rifle to another, so I could put an ARMS#40 on that rifle.  If you have a UTE2, you're STUCK with that rear sight, period.

I posted a thread in the RRA Indsustry forum, and Steve the Moderator said RRA actually did have a BUIS that was just that, an A2 without any risers or rails or doodads, but they didn't have much call for them.  He said he'd try to run 100 or so and put them on the website.  

I will be buying one if they're made available.  I think RRA would have a REAL winner.  A "chopped" carry handle without the big fat thumb-nut.  Basically, you could turn your very own flat-top upper into a "UTE" with only the purchase of a rear sight, and then take it off if you changed your mind.  Some blue loc-tite on those hex screws and it's not going anywhere until you want it to.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
THE FRONT RAIL HEIGHT IS STANDARD HEIGHT WHAT EVER THAT IS"ops sorry caps"

as for height idont know?

but needing a riser must be comon or they wouldnt sell them..

i dont have optics yet so honestly i relly dont know..

i just think it looks really cool

flame suite on
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I had the guys at Radio Shack do some testing on the RRA Detachable Tactical Carry Handle and they came up with this conclusion.

It is possible for the handle to drain a battery in the storage compartment if you put it in there with the negative side facing the cap.

The inside of the cap and he threaded part on the rail are both conductive, but nothing else is.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Excellent info... thanks to you (and the guys at Radio Shack) for the follow-up!

Quoted:
THE FRONT RAIL HEIGHT IS STANDARD HEIGHT WHAT EVER THAT IS"ops sorry caps"

as for height idont know?

but needing a riser must be comon or they wouldnt sell them..

i dont have optics yet so honestly i relly dont know..

i just think it looks really cool

flame suite on

Pffft...  I don't flame...  I appreciate everyone's open and honest opinion.  

Yes, the rail is standard height on the UTE2.  Yes, lots of people MUCHO more AR and real-world gun types seem to like them.  I don't think there's anything "wrong" with them, they're just not for me personally.

I think it all boils down to two things...  1) Is that absolutely, positively the only type of rear sight you're ever going to want or 2) is that just another upper in your collection of many and it saves you from having to purchase a seperate BUIS and if you want to use a magnifed optic you just pull out your magnified optic upper.

I hope I wasn't rude over in the RRA Industry forum, but hey, at least maybe they'll make a few of those stand-alone BUIS'!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]
i like the ute2 for 2 reason actually...

one i reallt like the a2 sight in general

and 2 i wont have to worry about it fallin off..

ahh thing like that happen to me lol..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top