Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:09:21 PM EDT
I just decided to go with one and at 5.5 ounces Im hoping it will some what slow down the unlocking of the bolt until chamber pressure is lower than what it would normalybe as  the bolt/carrier starts its extraction.Am I correct in assuming this? will it also lessen what little recoil there already is? what other benefits are there?I would hope it will lessen its harder running than rifle tendencyThanks..927
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one for your primary reason, slowing down extraction.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#2]
A 9mm buffer is not needed for a carbine length gas system. Some people prefer them over the standard carbine buffer but it's not necessary for the rifle to run reliably.

I tried one on my carbine and didn't like. The recoil was not as sharp but the extra weight made the recoil seem heavier (which makes sense). Also, the extra weight can cause (depending on the rifles configuration) the balance of the rifle to shift slightly to the rear when the action cycles.

If I ever decide I want to try a heavier buffer, I will try an H buffer. It only weighs .87 oz more than a standard carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Argh. Double tap.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]
i have a mgi rrb in my carbines and it weighs ~7oz. and i have close to zero muzzle rise.

slows down tha action greatly!.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i have a mgi rrb in my carbines and it weighs ~7oz. and i have close to zero muzzle rise.

But is it really fair to compare that $150 mechanical buffer to a $25 buffer? I'm not disagreeing with you but I want to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But is it really fair to compare that $150 mechanical buffer to a $25 buffer? I'm not disagreeing with you but I want to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

well, in that case i have used the h-buffer and the h2 buffer in my carbines and if you pay reall good attention you'll notice the slight difference.

imho not enough to notice but enough to slow it down a tad.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
IIRc, the issue M-4 uses an H buffer, correct?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I know we have beat this to death in the past few months, but I'll add that I run a heavy buffer in one of my carbines, and the felt recoil is that of a gentle push.  The difference is quite evident, and I do not feel more muzzle rise.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input fellas.Im curious to see what it feels like as I havent shot it yet with the heavier buffer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:04:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
IIRc, the issue M-4 uses an H buffer, correct?

believe so.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top