Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/16/2004 3:15:56 PM EST
I have a rifle that has been refinished in brownells bake on finish dark park color, and Im wanting to refinish the rifle with a duracoat finish. Can I put it on over the brownells finish or do i need to remove the old finish? The brownells finish is on pretty good and it wood be tough to remove.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:32:19 PM EST
Smithy,

Check HERE for the entire Duracoat story and process

Surely there is a mention of what it will adhere to and not.

I don't see why it wouldn't (seal over your current finish)

I know this......the Duracoat finish is awesome when done properly

good luck with your project
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:28:49 PM EST
is the duracoat aerosol finish the same as the normal duarcoat mix. Is it still as strong? Any comments?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:11:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 6:21:35 AM EST by redfisher]
Dont know that but, If it were my favorite rifle, I would have professional refinishers do the work.

that way:

1) it's done right first time

2) do-it-yourself projects typically are done better the 2nd time, better yet the 3rd time, etc. so I wouldn't attempt to learn this skill on my rifle and risk screwing it up- That's me, but you may well be quite accomplished with this type thing

3) It isn't that expensive, ($140, I believe they quote in their Services section) especially if you break the rifle down (dis-assemble) for them, and re-assemble when you get it back

Edited to add: Here is a company that has location in Iowa and are Certified Duracoat Finishers, a designation Lauer and Duracoat suggests is a major qualification

CLICK HERE

Top Top