Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:07:57 PM EDT
What is a good, cheap way to paint in the engravings on an AR?  I don't want anything that will flake off while i'm shooting or something oil based that would smear when I clean.  I want a good way to semi-permanently paint in the engravings without filling them; so that in the future I could maybe do different colors.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
They say you can use crayons. I bought the color sticks from Brownells and they worked great.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Crayons?  That seems like madness but I don't see why it wouldn't work I guess.  I'll look into these painting sticks from brownells.

EDIT: erm I searched Brownells a bit and can't find what you're mentioning.  Could you maybe link me or describe it in more detail?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Another thread with some more options/ideas.

Link
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies all.  I'm just thinking on how to CLP the reciever w/o getting any in the grooves.  I think i'll go with the laquer stik over crayons because it seems much more sturdy.  I can for some reason see me doing some fairly rapid fire and having chunks of crayon fall off the side.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Lacquer-stik

These are the laquer sticks I have. They work very well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I use china markers available at your arts and crafts stores... but a really good cleaning takes everything off
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I got bored one day and did the safe (white) and fire (red) on my Bushy.  I used my kids Crayola crayons.

Here's what I did:
1.  Cleaned the lower with CLP
2.  Rubbed crayon over the markings
3.  used heat gun to make sure it soaked into engraved area
4.  Repeated step #2 and #3 as needed
5.  used CLP and a soft cloth to rub off any excess crayon.

I did that about a year or so ago, and it still looks nice.  Haven't had any problems with it needing to be touched up or anything.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lacquer-stik

These are the laquer sticks I have. They work very well.

you just rub it into the engravings? but what do you wipe it off with?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
i use model car enamel paint and a toothpick to apply it...

it looks great and works great.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i use model car enamel paint and a toothpick to apply it...

it looks great and works great.  

1) How much is it?
2) How steady of a hand do you need?
3) If you mess up is there any going back?
4) Does it even itself out in the engravings?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
model car paint at wal mart is a buck or two.  they have oil and water based paint you can buy.  either one cleans up well and if you screw up, you can completely remove it.  i use a tooth pick because while dabbing it in the paint it is easily "worked" into the crevices.  it doesn have a tendency to "fill" and even out in the crevices.  as far as a steady hand - if you use the tooth pick, it'll naturally follow the crevices as long as you don't overload the tip with paint.  all in all, it works pretty slick.

here is a link to a post i made.  you can kind of see the color i'm speaking of.  i wouldn't hesitate to use this method.  the crayola affair is fine too.  

i do see more merit in the paint, simply because of finished appearance, ease of application, and the infinite color choice.  with paint, you can mix and match any color you want....

hope this helps.

septic tank
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I started off by trying the paint method with toothpicks but since my dad passed juvenile arthritis on to me it didnt work very well.  So I went the Crayola method.  It worked a lot better than I thought and it was pretty easy except keeping the color from the shallow Bushmaster gun thing from bleeding into the snake.  That was fairly difficult.  Soon to come: pictures!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I used the described crayon method and it worked great! I rubbed of the excess a few minutes after putting heat to it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#16]
CHINA MARKER works also --

The Grizzley looks like it has a shadow - but that is just the camera.

img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10318462ps.jpg

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lacquer-stik

that stuff works great!
crayons work good too but i perfer the paint stick, its a little easier.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Voila! Crayola Magic!

And I have no serial number insecurity.  I registered it and everything more than 8 months ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice job ironsight, I've seen classic show cars that didn't have as much attention to detail.

I am wondering where in UT you live that you would have needed to register your AR.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:25:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nice job ironsight, I've seen classic show cars that didn't have as much attention to detail.

I am wondering where in UT you live that you would have needed to register your AR.  

Register as in register with Bushmaster so that they know that I legally possess the serial number simply b/c I hid it away in a bucket until my product registration card arrived in Maine.

Altho I need 2 get brave one of these days.  The back of the snake is a bit thin as in the part of the bullpup right above the mag.  And the crayon on the bottom of the snake isn't all melted in like it should be.  I did it with a hairdryer and had to re-do it twice because of all the red from the bullpup running into the snake and making it nasty-ified
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Crayons work great. White and Red Orange have worked well on my lowers. Over time the crayons may get "worn out" but it's like $1 for a box or less.

If you hate the colors, just scrub it off using lighter fluid and a brush (or Goo Gone and a brush or whatever), rinse, lather, repeat. And no, I didn't want a pretty safe queen, I just wanted some damn color on my tools
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Meh i'm that really weird type that want a "tool queen"
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top