Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2006 9:43:42 AM EDT
What do some of you guys use to color the marking on the lowers? Seen some bushy lowers on the pic thread with the white logo and semi/fire also colored?
Does calligraphy work on anodized aluminum?

Thanks guys! Chris
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Most use crayons or grease pencils
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
plain ol crayola. rub in and wipe off excess with clp.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Clean the lower with naptha and then use porcelin paint.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
How durable is crayola? Porceline paint sounds like you have to be precise not to make a mess, I can't paint to save my live...........
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How durable is crayola? Porceline paint sounds like you have to be precise not to make a mess, I can't paint to save my live...........

The crayola is suprisingly druable. It's a bitch to get out though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#6]
ok, thanks for the input all!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]
A white tire crayon.  That's how I did it on my unit's M16's so it is an official USGI mod.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Porceline paint sounds like you have to be precise not to make a mess, I can't paint to save my live...........

No, you fill in the "groves" and wipe off the surface.  No painting skills needed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My reply to a previous thread. I did it with china marker, they are like 47 cents at a local art supply store and IMO work better than a crayon

Quoted:
china marker how to

previous thread

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
you say you aren't skillful but ask about calligraphy?  WTF?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My reply to a previous thread. I did it with china marker, they are like 47 87cents at a local art supply store and IMO work better than a crayon

Quoted:
china marker how to

previous thread

fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
This should be a TACKED THREAD in an AIRSOFT forum somewhere!

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Tried the crayola and looks sweet on the AR lower as well as a glock slide!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#15]
NOW
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This should be a TACKED THREAD in a finishing forum somewhere!

Fixed in for you.

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Permanent paint sticks  You will have to search "paintstick"  Then you will see the products.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Longs Drugs has these in their pens/stationary isle for something like $2.95:

Really easy to apply.  Just rub it around the lettering until it's filled, wipe the excess off with a clean rag... there will be some surface colored with the oil sticks like this:

Then... apply a little oil and rub around the surface with your finger or an oiled cloth to get the excess 'cloudyness' away, and presto...

White:

White & Red:

Grey (didn't come out as nice, but has a sort of vintage look):

To remove the color, all you need is a toothbrush and some oil or solvent...  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I really like the Mega, POF and Noveske lowers done like that.  Pretty sweet!

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#21]
nice way to make a nice lower look cheesy.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hey, you just upped your post count by one.  Classy.  lol

Maybe someday I'll be an arfcom commando like you.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1

Sometimes the anonymity of this site makes you forget that many of those goofballs that you see roll your eyes at in the gunshows are also members here.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sometimes the anonymity of this site makes you forget that many of those goofballs that you see roll your eyes at in the gunshows are also members here.

15,000 posts......................not ONE useful comment.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh come on.....If it weren't for markm there would be no AR15.com.  It would have become "WHATCOLORISYOURNONPENCILJAMMINGMAGPULLFOLLOWER.COM" A long time ago.  He is the voice of sanity
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Just say NO to crayon markings!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I know what I'm doing this afternoon
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry guys- people were calling "DUPE" long before I got here and they will continue to do so.  

Heck, maybe even after you color in your own lowers and decide you don't like it for whatever reason, you'll be doing the same thing in these threads.

I've "been there done that" with coloring in my lowers and it's difficult at best to get a nice crisp set of letters.  Most of these rollmarks weren't intended to be filled in with color and even if you are able to keep it inside the lines, they tend to look funny when viewed close up.

Since I like to take closeup pictures of my rifles, I've decided it's not for me.  

So, I'm not just trying to rain on your little parade.

I'm trying to tell you to use the search function.  

search "coloring" and you will get two other hits regarding coloring in safe and fire.

search "color" and you will get three aside from this thread.

It's not fricking hard guys.

Now I've upped my post count by two altogether, pretty slick, huh?  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Such as this brilliant reply, fr00t?

Look, If you're a homo and like coloring your gun so you can sit back and smile at it, fine.

But don't be hatin' when you get made fun of, CLEATUS!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Such as this brilliant reply, fr00t?

Look, If you're a homo and like coloring your gun so you can sit back and smile at it, fine.

But don't be hatin' when you get made fun of, CLEATUS!

learn the ropes bitch!

Besides, Markm- hasn't this been covered 87 times?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
learn the ropes bitch!

Besides, Markm- hasn't this been covered 87 times?

weren't you just 87 hatin yesterday. I guess you've jumped on board

Quoted:
87 will never die. It's used more times by OTHER members of this site than it is used by me! It's the WAVE of the future. Jump on board or get left BEHIND!

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

We had a side bar, and he's now part of the 87 society!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a side bar, and he's now part of the 87 society!

cool
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#34]
JL7- you were there, weren't you?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is a pic of my super rare MarkM Colt lower
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Walle_308,

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I had to go through and color all my guns Saturday morning.
Looks pretty sharp on the Glock 17.

Ignore these Dupe people. I do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Walle_308,

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I had to go through and color all my guns Saturday morning.

Shouldn't you be watching cartoons Saturday morning and coloring in your books in the afternoon when you get done with naptime?

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Shouldn't you be watching cartoons Saturday morning and coloring in your books in the afternoon when you get done with naptime?

OMFG...If people want to color their stuff, it's none of your f'n business.
This thread was started by someone who wanted to know how to color their lowers.  He didn't ask anyone if they thought it was cool or not...

This site sucks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMFG...If people want to color their stuff, it's none of your f'n business.
This thread was started by someone who wanted to know how to color their lowers.  He didn't ask anyone if they thought it was cool or not...

This site sucks.

Nah it doesn't suck you just have to weed through some holier than thou crap to find what you are looking for.  Everyone has a topic that sets them off and some people stay "set off"  but for the most part good info is shared when it is needed. Some people think that anyone not having the same opinion as they do must be posers and are stupid.  Who cares if someone wants to paint anything with whatever or mount a toilet paper roll to their upper.  No body forces anyone to respond to a post requesting info, some people just like to see how clever they can be.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Here is mine - w/  CHINA MARKER --

Actually looks great - the pic makes it look like it has a shadow on the Grizzley...

img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10318462ps.jpg
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Walle_308,

No 1st I have my cookies and milk and then I color my guns.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#42]
We did the serial#s on our M16's and M9s in my unit so we could read them without removing them from the rack so I guess it is "military official USGI thing".  If someone wants to do somthing to his own property that he bought and paid for that is totally his buisness.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#43]
KurtVF,

You should not have said that.  Now since you let the cat out of the bag all the "well if the military does it it must be cool" armchair commandos will be doing it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
KurtVF,

You should not have said that.  Now since you let the cat out of the bag all the "well if the military does it it must be cool" armchair commandos will be doing it.

Yes, but I only did it to the weapons in my unit, which is a secret, foreward operating unit and since it was my idea I'm not letting anyone else on the board use it.  Remember, it only involves whitening the serial # and not the other stuff and a tire crayon was used so it is now a USGI but unauthorized modification.   The last guy that came and inspected the weapons said "gee, that's a good idea"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#45]
It's not about my opinion of what is "cool" or not.  It's about you doing a fucking search before asking a question.  Hell, if you'd look at more than half of one page in the AR15 discussions you'd see a "coloring" thread without even having to search.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
KurtVF,

Haha, yep.
Remember, it only involves whitening the serial # and not the other stuff and a tire crayon was used so it is now a USGI but unauthorized modification.   The last guy that came and inspected the weapons said "gee, that's a good idea"

Only valid reason I see to do this.  

Don't hate on the china marker haters.

Some of us, just feel that form should FOLLOW function, and others don't.  Sometimes they get picked on.  It's the intarweb; don't get your panties in a bind if big bad markm or josephR make fun of you.  I'd include myself, but I'm not cool enough for the 87 club.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I wonder how many people here talking crap about marking logos have pretty desert or jungle colors dressed up on their safe queens...  lmao

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I have painted guns though.  They're ugly as hell though, not "pretty."  That's because they're not safe queens, they get rough use on a regular basis.  And the paint is actually functional.  Considering that I use my guns for hunting; if done properly, secondary finishes can also help protect the firearm rough abuse, and the elements.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I wonder how many people here talking crap about marking logos have pretty desert or jungle colors dressed up on their safe queens...  lmao

At least one of us idiots does...

It's one thing to use a little skill and Duracoat to refinish my rifle and a totally separate thing to create duplicates of threads just because you can't search.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice choice of hardware!  ;)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top