Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2023 10:05:59 PM EDT
Anyone else pick up some of this from SG? I grabbed 200 rounds that showed up a few days ago. As I was loading them up into mags this evening I found an empty primed cased in one of the boxes.

Annoying, but shit happens. However, the next box I find this. Looks to just be a bullet with the cannelure higher up for some reason. COAL and weight are correct. I also found one missing some lead in the nose.

Now I'm annoyed, and go back through and check each round over. I'm seeing some inconsistent primer seating, several of them are seated high. I can't tell if the primer pockets are inconsistent and primers are getting flattened when seated, or if there's a mix of primer mfgs being used that have slightly different shapes.

I also found one with a boogered up case head.

At $0.90 a round for premium LE ammo, NOT impressed with their QC. If you also picked some of this up, I'd give a good once over when loading them into mags.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Dammit.. I will go thru mine. Shit.

I wonder if Sam is aware.. he's always been 100% with his stuff, he most likely isn't aware.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
That's why I was curious if anyone else has some, could just be bad luck on my part.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#3]
That's scary bad QC.
I would not shoot any of that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Having Lake City make their ammo in the US has trashed Norma's reputation. I will only buy Norma, GECO, RUAG, etc of it's made in Europe
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Humph... I bought a can of it.

I have only looked at one box of it.

I will take note of your observations, and look for them.

What Lot # is yours ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Please update this thread if you reach out to SG ammo and let us know what the deal is with this.
That's a damn good bullet but not if it's dangerous to shoot it!
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
It all looks fine to shoot, save for a few high primers. I'm just disappointed in the mediocre QC.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have an update on this issue?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone have an update on this issue?
View Quote

I just inspected my can and had none of the issues above
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Bummer about their shit QC.  Read the thread because I am mulling over buying some of those bullets for reloading, but I would suggest anyone using them be sure to test them for feeding plenty.  I did some extensive testing with various AR’s from Bushmaster, Colt, S&W, plus HK416’s with the WIN. RA556B loading, which uses this bullet.  There were frequent feed issues in the HK’s when using aluminum USGI mags, occasional feed issues in the AR’s.  The blunt bullet nose just did not feed well.  The M3 Pmag worked 100% however in all weapons, and it is the only mag I would personally use them in (it has a different feed angle).  

Basically- don’t go loading ammo with this bullet in regular old aluminum mags and just assume that they will feed well.  Most people are not going to shoot them enough due to the cost to maybe see any issues, but the problem does exist.  Kind of uncommon in various AR’s, YMMV depending on the gun, but the HK’s just hated it from a metal mag.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bummer about their shit QC.  Read the thread because I am mulling over buying some of those bullets for reloading, but I would suggest anyone using them be sure to test them for feeding plenty.  I did some extensive testing with various AR's from Bushmaster, Colt, S&W, plus HK416's with the WIN. RA556B loading, which uses this bullet.  There were frequent feed issues in the HK's when using aluminum USGI mags, occasional feed issues in the AR's.  The blunt bullet nose just did not feed well.  The M3 Pmag worked 100% however in all weapons, and it is the only mag I would personally use them in (it has a different feed angle).  

Basically- don't go loading ammo with this bullet in regular old aluminum mags and just assume that they will feed well.  Most people are not going to shoot them enough due to the cost to maybe see any issues, but the problem does exist.  Kind of uncommon in various AR's, YMMV depending on the gun, but the HK's just hated it from a metal mag.
View Quote
Good to know, thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Surprised to see such poor quality from Norma. To be honest with you I looked at this and the Ammo Inc blue line ammo which has the same projectile and I went with the blue line ammo instead. And it was much cheaper to boot and of better quality.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The 10rd groups I could manage with the 64gr BSB ,.... and while not a very precision oriented bullet ( IMHO ),
View Quote

The Nosler 64 grain BSB is actually quite an accurate bullet for a bonded solid base projectile.  The graphic below shows the result of testing using a scanning variant of my Accuracy Node Detection Technique.  Two consecutive 5-shot groups of the Nosler 64 grain BSB were over-layed from the aiming point to form a 10-shot composite group.  The two groups were charged with different powder charges that were 0.5 grain apart.   The 10-shot composite group has an extreme spread of 0.922".

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@Molon

Well... that is encouraging. Thank You for sharing.

My comment,
"The 10rd groups I could manage with the 64gr BSB ,.... and while not a very precision oriented bullet ( IMHO ), I will take it for what is is."

I should have said something like "OEM Factory loads with the 64gr BSB tend not to be very precision oriented in my experience."

But, alas... I am not a great writer.  I can build it, turn the wrench and pull the trigger just fine... but conveying my thoughts isn't natural for me.
View Quote

A full fledged 10-shot group from 100 yards with the hand-loaded 64 grain BSB had an extreme spread of 0.822". The Nosler 64 grain BSB has the same terminal ballistic properties as the 62 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.  Along with that and its superior accuracy/precision, the 64 grain BSB is one of the best blind to barriers projectiles in its weight class.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top