Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 4:17:42 AM EDT

Hello. I was refered to this site from glocktalk.com and am looking into buy/build an AR and have a few questions I hope some of you don't minding answering. While researching AR manufaturers when thinking of buying, someone recommended building one since it would prove more cost effective and I would learn quite about  about the rifle. So I'm researching that route.

First, who isthe manufacturer for the kits on model1sales.com? The prices look great but who's receivers and components do the use?

I was on the RRA website looking up parts prices and it appears that I could build a 16" CAR-A4 with all new parts for less than the price of a complete rifle. Am I missing anything there?

Complete 16" CAR-A4 w/quad rail handgrip, hogue grip, and detachable handle:  $1095.

To build:
Assembled CAR-A4 upper w/quad rail handgrip, chrome moly, and det handle: $645
stripped lower:                                           $140
lower kit w/ hogue grip and std trigger:    $ 78
Buttstock 4 pos:                                        $ 65
Total:                                                          $928

And I'm sure it acan be done for less but am I missing something? I can buy all new parts from RRA and it will cost LESS than their complete rifle?

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Daniel
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#1]
To answer one of your questions, complete rifles that are sold by manufacturers have an excise tax levied on them, that is why you can build them yourself for cheaper.  

"Build them yourself" - push two pins in and save yourself some money - gotta love the gov't and their tax system.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for being stupid but I found the search feature   hug.gif

Somehow I missed that the kits did not have stripped lower.  hrough
That being said, I like what I've read about the RRA lowers and would like to find the best price. Where outside the EE forum is a good place to look?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I like ADCO.com  They have RRA parts cheaper than RRA.  Sold out alot though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a Pre-ban 16" A3 kit from Model 1 Sales, while waiting for my RRA stripped lower to come in.  This will be my first AR and I am very excited.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top