Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2012 6:27:48 PM EDT
Just received in trade a Colt AR 15 Sp1, serial number 126XXX, so I beleive it to be made in 1968. This thing is in dead mint condition. I have done a basic field strip, taken off handguards, no spots of rust, cracks, bolt has very minimal wear, bolt to carrier fit is very snug. The guy I got it from said he got it from original owner who was a family friend and that less than 200 rds have been fired through it. I'll have to take his word for it but looking at the wear I beleive it to be true. I got pics through email before meeting up witht he guy and knew it looked good but now that I've got it I'm blown away with the condition. Now I'm wondering if I should even shoot this thing or just put it in the back of the safe and take out to pet every now and again. All my rifles have been shooters in the past, would I kill the value on this by putting alot of rounds through it? Also, I have found so many conflicting stories on whether I can shoot 5.56 or only .223 through this rifle that I called Colt today. The customer service lady I talked to asked what the barrel was marked and I told her it is only marked "CMP Chrome Bore", she said .223 only, wonder if I should have asked to speak to a gunsmith? Wish I new how to load pictures of this thing, I'd really like to show it off. Anyone know what sling would have came with this rifle? When I was in the Marine Corps in the early 90's we had the M16A2 of course, but the slings had the metal clip ends with the black cloth, some of the pictures I have seen of the SP1's have a similar looking slings. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
1980 is a closer production date.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/304266_.html

Got any current pictures of it? Sounds like a keeper. I would shoot something that new.

ETA: How to post pics on AR15.com: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_168/638569_Picture_Posting_Tutorial__and_Picture_Test_Thread.html

According to this guide, C MP CHROME BORE barrels did not appear til 1974. Granted this guide is for M16, but SP1's run pretty much along the same line. Does your rifle have a birdcage or 3 prong flash hider, trap door butt stock or solid? C H (or CM) code under the rear sight on the right or blank in the same spot?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/241681_0Colt_s_USGI_M16_series_variation_guide_edition_IV.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It has a trapdoor buttstock, A1 Birdcage flash suppressor, the bolt carrier has FA notches but no FA. The bottom of the rear of the carrier has had some material milled off. I must have read the date code guides wrong. I can take pics of it but havn't figured out how to post them yet. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It has a trapdoor buttstock, A1 Birdcage flash suppressor, the bolt carrier has FA notches but no FA. The bottom of the rear of the carrier has had some material milled off. I must have read the date code guides wrong. I can take pics of it but havn't figured out how to post them yet. Thanks for the info.

As for the serial # you count the 1 as part of the number. The side of your receiver would look like this SP 126XXX, not SP1 26XXX.

I posted a link in my first reply of how to post pictures. You need a Photobucket account (or another picture hosting site) then just follow the step by step in the link above. The picture posting link is the middle one in my first reply.

Regardless of what year it was made it sounds like a nice one, but as I also said I would shoot it, being that late of a rifle. That's just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info link on posting pics, I'll tr to take some nice outdoor shots tomorrow and get them on here. It's not near as old as I originally thought so I'll definately shoot it. I am still impressed with the shape it's in for the age of it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#5]
ANY nice SP1 is a joy to have and own!  I have found that I enjoy mine to handle and admire far more than the modern AR's I have.  Pic of said rifle

Good ol' SP 190xxx mid 80's rifle with no dents, dings or scratches

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice, mine looks exactly like yours but I don't have a scope or sling yet. I took it to the range for the first time today to sight in, I was very impressed. It was already dialed in about a half inch low at 25 yards, 5 shot group about the size of a nickel, that was using Ga Arms 55gr .223. Took it out to 100 yards and was able to keep it under 2.5 inches in three strings of 5. I usually don't have a group that tight using iron sights at 100 so the rifle was definately doing it's part. Tried some 62gr 5.56 green tip because that's what I have the most of, they were all over the place, about every other one keyholed, I was expecting that though with the 1 in 12 twist rate.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. I don't think that a 1968 manufactured SP1 would have the birdcage flash hider or the trapdoor stock.

I know that mine was built in 1968 and it doesn't have them.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got mixed up witht he date codes, mine was acually made in 1980, like it just as good never the less.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad it shoots well.  Definately nothing wrong with a SP-1.  Surprised the GA Arms ammo was that accurate.  Sounds like you bought a low mileage unit.  They were always at our local funshows and I've found it to be a little erratic but it used to be pretty cheap and they had it when many were out a few yrs back.  Does come in a nice surplus can.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Ga Arms ammo is maufactured about an hour and 15 mins from where I live and they have a storefront at the facility. Last time I went there was about 8 or 9 yrs ago when I could get 1000 rds of 55 gr .223 for about $150 out the door. It was all Lake City brass and I've always had good shooting with it, but this rifle seems to really like, too bad I'm almost out of it. The majority of what I have nowadays is 62gr 5.56 green tip. Those were the good old days as far as ammo goes, me and my buddies used to shoot every weekend, and about once a month or so someone from work would head up to Ga Arms and pick up ammo for everyone. Sigh.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is my 1977 SP1 (serial no. SP75XXX).

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just received in trade a Colt AR 15 Sp1, serial number 126XXX, so I beleive it to be made in 1968. This thing is in dead mint condition. I have done a basic field strip, taken off handguards, no spots of rust, cracks, bolt has very minimal wear, bolt to carrier fit is very snug. The guy I got it from said he got it from original owner who was a family friend and that less than 200 rds have been fired through it. I'll have to take his word for it but looking at the wear I beleive it to be true. I got pics through email before meeting up witht he guy and knew it looked good but now that I've got it I'm blown away with the condition. Now I'm wondering if I should even shoot this thing or just put it in the back of the safe and take out to pet every now and again. All my rifles have been shooters in the past, would I kill the value on this by putting alot of rounds through it? Also, I have found so many conflicting stories on whether I can shoot 5.56 or only .223 through this rifle that I called Colt today. The customer service lady I talked to asked what the barrel was marked and I told her it is only marked "CMP Chrome Bore", she said .223 only, wonder if I should have asked to speak to a gunsmith? Wish I new how to load pictures of this thing, I'd really like to show it off. Anyone know what sling would have came with this rifle? When I was in the Marine Corps in the early 90's we had the M16A2 of course, but the slings had the metal clip ends with the black cloth, some of the pictures I have seen of the SP1's have a similar looking slings. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Serial # indicates more like 1980-82
No big deal..everyone misreads the serial # on an Sp-1 first time out it seems!
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
1975 Colt SP-1, Mint condition SN# SP 45520

1984 Colt  SP-1,New In Box, Unfired with original box and papers, 2 mags and sling.:

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top