Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 7:59:34 AM EDT
Hello everyone. Man what a site. There is sooo much info. here to wade through. I am a long time shooter, but not with AR type equipment. Anyway, just picked up a BM A3M4 LE marked carbine for 902.00 here in Houston. I want to add a flip up rear site that will work with the stock front site/ some type of compact scope/ flashlight on the forend and a sling.
I would like the iron sights to be tritium.
I'm concerned about how to get the scope high enough to clear the front sight...would it be better to change out the front gas block to one with a slip up front?
Any suggestions as to sights/ how to attach a light to the stock forend/ scope and sling type.

This will be used for home defense as well as field carry to shoot. May do a defense/tactical class with it as well. I also have it just because I like guns and to tinker.
Thanks
Porter
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#1]
You can keep the standard front sight.  If you scope your rifle you won't see it.

I like GG&G products.  They make several mounts for railed forends that should suffice.  I've used YHM, GG&G, and ARMS BUIS.  If I had to pick I'd go with the GG&G A2 flip rear sight...the ARMS folded has a lower profile, but the GG&G unit feels more substantial (i.e. tougher)(just my $.02).  

As I mentioned earlier, you probably ought to buy a railed forend considering the number of additions you want to make.  YHM is good for the money, but LaRue and Daniel Defense are some of the best.  B/C you just purchased your rifle I'm assuming that money may be a little tight...if so, go with one of the YHM units...I don't think you'll be dissapointed...not to mention that there are a couple members selling combo units (forend, flip front sight, sling attachment) for around $185.

Scroll through the EE to get a feel for the going rates before you buy...check the feedback forum before you buy.  Most of the guys on this board strive to be honest and you should have pretty good luck.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Rob, I will check EE and look up what YHM ishePorter
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you will find that tritium sights are better suited for handguns, and about useless on rifles and carbines.  Save the money and put it into something that will work for you.  Scope on a carbine for a course?  Good luck, the class will give you ideas on why that may not be a great idea if its serving a home defense role.

Congratulations on picking up the Bushie, it should serve you well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the Bushy, it's a great choice

I agree with Stick about not putting night sights on an AR.  It might be OK if you do not use a scope or red dot sight but if you do use a scope/red dot I wouldn't want to be looking through it and seeing a bright green dot especialy at night.

Good luck and welcome to the Site and to BRD( Black Rifle Disease) which you will get after you shoot your AR a few times
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Never really thought about the glowing sight through glass....thats why I'm here, there is alot more insight on this rifle than I have experience with.

The scope would be for my older eyes, not a course.
Thanks again
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
WELCOME TO THE SITE, I KNOW YOU WILL ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I DO

COPDILLS
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top