Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/3/2002 1:28:15 PM EDT
    On 02-22-02 I decided to take Richard Fitzpatrick, CEO of Magpul Industries, up on his offer to extensively check out the prototype of his new Modular Stock System (MSS) for M4 / CAR-15 weapon system.  I left that morning and took the two and a half hour drive to Boulder Colorado to meet with Richard.  I met Richard at the shop that is actually doing the work on the MSS.  Upon meeting Richard I was really impressed with his down to earth and friendly personality.  Richard and I talked for a short while about the MSS and he touched briefly on the improvements that he had planned on making to the MSS before it’s released in July / August of this year.

Richard had the MSS mounted to a preban M4 carbine.  Even though the prototype does not have the same material that will be used in the final product the stock balanced very well on the rifle and didn’t feel like it added any extra weight to the rifle.  One of the guys that worked in the shop showed me the material that the final stock will be made out of and it felt very strong and seemed to weigh about as much as the material that was on the prototype.

I spent about 10 minutes shouldering the rifle and getting into different shooting positions and taking the rifle out of my shoulder and reshouldering the rifle to see how it felt.  I had no problems shouldering the rifle, it went into my shoulder without a problem every time.  The butt of the stock is not flat like other M4 stocks, the butt is slightly concave and fits in the shoulder much better than the flat factory stocks.  The prototype had no gripping surface on it, but the finished product will have a gripping surface similar to the factory stock with a few improvements.  Even with the butt of the stock smooth, the stock never slipped out of my should and even when moving quickly it never missed going into my shoulder pocket.  There is more material in the butt of the MSS than the factory stock, it was slightly wider in some areas and felt longer.  I didn’t take measurements but it felt like there was more surface area in my shoulder.

I then donned my SWAT gear which is a Second Chance Ultima Level IIIA in a Second Chance Heavy Duty Carrier and a Special Operations Equipment Force Vest that goes over the Second Chance Body Armor.  I again
took a lot of time shouldering the rifle and getting into different shooting positions, again the stock naturally fit into the pocket of my shoulder without even having to think about it.
    One of the first things I noticed when I shouldered the rifle with the MSS is that the stock felt better in my shoulder, the buffer tube seemed higher (I didn’t have to bend my neck at all to get my cheek on the buffer tube, like was the case with the older style telescoping stocks), and the buffer tube felt better against my cheek.  When I shoulder the rifle I tend to put my nose very close to the charging handle.  The buffer tube has the same material on it that the stock is made out of, thus it raises the height of the buffer tube, and the shape of the material on top of the buffer tube does not follow the same contour as the buffer tube.  This material that is on the buffer tube is contoured at a wider angle thus giving the shooter a more comfortable cheek rest.  I never thought the A2 or Carbine stock was uncomfortable, but the MSS feel so much better.

More to come,
Jeff    

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Richard --

I'd like to be added to the list as well. But please don't tell my wife -- ale
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm CERTAIN that a "tool requiring" version (eg, Allen wrench, screwdriver) would be VERY popular with the many "post-ban" rifle owners out there, myself included.
Having a functional (that is, a stock which permits a good, consistent cheek weld) collapsible stock makes transport much more discreet, besides the obvious advantage of being able to adjust LOP.

Please put me on the notification list too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
SO IS THIS THING GOING TO BE POST BAN LEGAL????
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
SO IS THIS THING GOING TO BE POST BAN LEGAL????

NO!...heck I will say it if no one else wants to!...Do you really think the ATF would give in to honest people?...
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 3:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Rick,

any update ?

PP out
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi Rick,

those pics show a great job , you did many improvements from the prototype buttstock I handled at the last SS .

Pls release it ASAP , I'm here patienceless !

PP out
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Richard - thanks - but hell gun owners are the most impatience crowd of all :)
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]

CANADIAN_TACTICAL:
gun owners are the most impatience crowd of all :)

CANADIAN_TACTICAL:

IMPATIENT?? ABSOLUTELY!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Rich:

Great looking stock and great posts. We are very lucky to have a manuf. spend the time with us and give us their insights into thier new products.

A few comments about a Post-ban stock. The stock looks like it would lend itself well to being easily converted to tool adjust only. I believe that this is a much better option than offering different fixed lengths. Or maybe even offer both options? I would also think that the market would be large for something like this.

Keep up the great products and service.

- Greg
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
WHAT IS GOING TO BE THE FINAL COST? US POOR
UNDEPAID LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS CAN ONLY AFFORD SO MUCH? IT WOULD LOOK REAL GOOD ON MY PATROL AR.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The cost has been mentioned several times on the thread. I'll post it here again for those who havent read the whole thread. Rich has said it "may" wind up being less expensive, but a high estimate was $300. Not cheap.

I think he has also mentioned a special price for those of us requesting to be put on a pre-order list. Though there was no mention of that that special price was going to be. I asked to be put on it a few months ago.

I'm sure Rich will be here to correct anything I've posted here if I am mistaken.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#13]
The threads also speak of special price and I was wondering if there was going to be le pricing? The question was more for Rich.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Sign me up for one when you have them ready, Ar15.com is going to end my marriage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#16]
How many units will you need to have preordered to get the price to $200 and how many are on the pre order list right now?  BTW add me to the list...
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Add me to the list also. Ed
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Count me in on the group buy as long as the price is closer to $200 than $300.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Do you plan on offering an OD version in the group buy?

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Richard, Please add me to the list. I will take 2. Thanks
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Please put me down for one of the "closer to $200" units. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in as well,  [email protected]

Perhaps it's time to start a group buy thread.......

Thanks,

Theo
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#23]
When will they be availible?????
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Please add me to the group buy as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#25]
what about the Sniper stock? When is that coming?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Coming out anytime soon?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey Rick,

you already know I'm in for one MSS M93 & rails and for one MSS TSS ,I'm here patienceless , hope to be able to get them soon........

PP out
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey Rich, the cheek weld area of the stock is going to be cold weather friendly isn't it? As in no bare skin to metal contact like you get with a standard collapsable stock buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Rich:
Any update on avilability? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Is The sniper stock in pre production design yet?
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Black is fine for me! Take your time and get it to where YOU are happy with it. It's not like I don't already have other stocks....   I'll be there waiting when these finally go into production.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Please add me to your list also .
Thanks
Glen
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm next on the list.

Booker
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#35]
hurry!
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Rich, put me on the list for one of the prebans in the group buy. (It'll go so nicely with a Shrike upper, LOL!)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 4:08:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm interested in one onthe group buy if it's not too rediculous, though what that means in this hobby is up for debate!
Mike
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Put me on the short list, long list and any other list but just HURRY!
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Folks have had the tendency to not read the entire thread and havent been aware of what the price for this stock will be. I just want to make sure everyone asking to be placed on the list is aware of the cost of the list we are being put on. Last I recall, the estimated price for this first time AR15.com list could be as low as $200, but could be upwards of $300, depending on how many people actually sign up. I would hate to see a bunch of people signing up to get it, enabling the price to be reduced enough, and then having a bunch of people drop out when they find out how much it will cost them. That will either drive the cost up again, or screw Mr Fitz. Neither of which I would like to see. You know? I'm on the list for months now either way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh heck, every time this comes back to the top I procrastinate - but I gotta stop. Consider me in for one - I don't care if it goes over $300.00.

Adam
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Folks have had the tendency to not read the entire thread and havent been aware of what the price for this stock will be. I just want to make sure everyone asking to be placed on the list is aware of the cost of the list we are being put on. Last I recall, the estimated price for this first time AR15.com list could be as low as $200, but could be upwards of $300, depending on how many people actually sign up. I would hate to see a bunch of people signing up to get it, enabling the price to be reduced enough, and then having a bunch of people drop out when they find out how much it will cost them. That will either drive the cost up again, or screw Mr Fitz. Neither of which I would like to see. You know? I'm on the list for months now either way.

Some of us really put our buts on the line every day, not playing shooting games. The difference between $200-300 is major to us
as the govt does not pay the best.If it bothers you so bad that peeps dont read the hole thread
don't read their threads. You are under no duty to do so.Try not to be so condendsending in your replys if you are compelled to continue to be the mag pull stock police.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Put me down for one in the group buy. It will work great on my M16A1, ready for the Shrike upper.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but I have a couple questions. I'm sorry if they've been answered already -- I didn't see them though.

My question is will this stock use the standard A2 style buffer tube, the standard telescopic tube or a tube specific for this stock alone?
I am speaking of the collapsible stock.
I'm looking forward to your products release.
Thanks,
Steve
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#45]
"FYI- I should be ready to start the group buy in a couple of weeks. We have really picked up the pace for finishing and we are now seeing light at the end of the tunnel!"

Great News!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Great news, I'm sure you'll keep us up to date!

OKLA, wow, I just read your post to me... I surely didnt mean to be offensive. I know not everyone will see the quoted price. Especially when its listed on page 2 or so of a 6 page thread. Just trying to be helpful.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#47]
cool!  

any word on whether this might be post-ban legal?

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone who knows me personally is no doubt wondering why I haven't asked this yet, but here goes -

How well do you think this system will hold up to a good solid butt stroke? Inquiring minds just need to know.

Also, If I were to be an overzealous JBT and break the locking system, how is it for repairability?

Adam
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top