Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 10:04:36 AM EDT
What do you experienced AR Pistoleers think about the new Kel-Tech 5.56 pistol? The one thing nice I see about it is a lack of a buffer tube on the back.  Isn't it true that the only Ar w/o buffer tube is the OLArms 93?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
i saw a post a ways back about someone who had one and it kboomed but of course its a myth unless i find the link but i wouldnt trust it.  its almost all plastic id say go with the other 2 main pistol makers
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#2]
who are the other "two main" pistol makers
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
well the 2 main im thinking of were olyarms and bushmaster just i was out all day so i couldnt edit em in
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget RRA LAR 15's.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The kaboom was due to overcharged Winchester White Box, not the Kel Tec PLR-16.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The kaboom was due to overcharged Winchester White Box, not the Kel Tec PLR-16.

Does anyone have the link to the orginal story? I have some WW box and want to make sure it is not he same lot. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#7]
here is the link. It's a very LOOOOOONG thread, but well worth reading, or at least skimming.

The cause of the KB was the ammo

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=420968

personally I would prefer to be hit by plastic pieces, rather than metal if  I had to choose. Metal guns Kaboom just as easilly with faulty ammo.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
And from the later posts in that thread, it looks like KelTec found a fix to allow the gas from future case ruptures to vent and blow the mag out, instead of doing much more damage to the receiver.  That, along with the reported customer service, fits with past posts in the Keltec forums.

If there's a problem, they fix it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#9]
My buddy bougt one and loves it. The front handgard is well designed and a MUST with this pistol. 100% reliable once we figured the top tube must lock into the receiver with a tab on it"s rear. Various loads perform vastly different with this pistol. Although all functioned perfectly recoil and blast varied greatly.

Example, Walmart 40 gr Varmint 50 pack was mild, recoil like a .38 spcl and blast and flash like a .22 mag. Malaysion 55 military recoiled like a .45 acp ,the blast was incredible, and the flash the size of a basketball ! This is oppisate of what I assumed. Penetration on all objects seemed as good as a rifle. With fmj going through mild steel and small trees without problems.

A heavy steel old shovel suffered big dents with my 44 mag pistol ( silvertips )  but was cleanly ventilated with this pistol. One impressive test that stood out was shooting a 55gr WW softpoint into 2 thick phonebooks placed together. A 22 cal hole was through the first book but the second had an expanding funnel shaped hole that exited measuring about 4 inches wide tossing the second book a couple of feet in the process. I was most impressed...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I was interested in the KelTec pistol, until I read the KaBoom thread.

To me it doesn't matter if the KB was caused by the ammo or the gun.
What interested me was the fact that the bolt was found behind the guy.

During the Vietnam war, doctored ammo was dropped behind enemy lines.
It was designed to explode in an AK. The relult of the explosion was that the bolt was driven into
the skull of the person firing the AK.

That's one of the few drawbacks I see with the piston design.
A KB in an AR drives the bolt back into the stock worst case. (Not my head.)

Now, if KelTec has redesigned the gun to eliminate the possibility of the bolt being propelled backwards, it would be worth looking at again.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It was designed to explode in an AK. The relult of the explosion was that the bolt was driven into
the skull of the person firing the AK.

A KB in an AR drives the bolt back into the stock worst case. (Not my head.)

Now, if KelTec has redesigned the gun to eliminate the possibility of the bolt being propelled backwards, it would be worth looking at again.

That is scary shit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:11:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

From the posts toward the end of that thread, KelTec has modified the bolt carrier so that a ruptured case blows the mag out, instead of blowing the bolt out.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:24:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

the skull of the person firing the AK. myth

A KB in an AR drives the bolt back into the stock worst case. (Not my head.)www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/ar15kaboom.html

Now, if KelTec has redesigned the gun to eliminate the possibility of the bolt being propelled backwards, it would be worth looking at again.you did not read the thread completely.  Not only did Kel-Tec replace the gun even though it was the ammo's fault, they learned from the experience and re-designed the carrier so as to prevent this sort of thing happening again.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#14]
What does the Kel Tech Pistol Cost$? Have never seen one for sale.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I beleive the MSRP is $640.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What do you experienced AR Pistoleers think about the new Kel-Tech 5.56 pistol? The one thing nice I see about it is a lack of a buffer tube on the back. Isn't it true that the only Ar w/o buffer tube is the OLArms 93?

No

www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=436063

www.zmweapons.com

http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/lr.html

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top