Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 2:08:37 PM EDT
OK guys, we all know California sucks a$$.  I might have to move to that sh!tty state and I have 4 weapons that are banned.  

I don't want to be illegal so I am thinking of just storing them somewhere near Reno since I will be in the Bay Area.  Anyone have any advice?  Are there safe deposit box big enough for all my semi-auto rifles?  What can I expect for cost?

Worst part is I just bought my first AR.  A Bushmaster A3 M4 with surefire scout light, graphite forward grip, sure fire hand guards with rails, and EOTech site.

Any advice appreciated.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok you said any advice,

Don't move to Kalifornistan

On a more serious note, you need to do a real cost/benifit analysis on what your job will be paying vs. the cost of living in the Bay Area.  I know a lot of folks that live out there, and one needs to make about two times the salary to have an equivelent standard of living as in Phoenix.  

(Equivelent standard of living is a misnomer, after all, we have open carry in AZ, don;t try that in Cali)

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
No firearm collector/fanactic should EVER move to Commiefornia.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
OK guys, we all know California sucks a$$.  I might have to move to that sh!tty state and I have 4 weapons that are banned.  

I don't want to be illegal so I am thinking of just storing them somewhere near Reno since I will be in the Bay Area.  Anyone have any advice?  Are there safe deposit box big enough for all my semi-auto rifles?  What can I expect for cost?

Worst part is I just bought my first AR.  A Bushmaster A3 M4 with surefire scout light, graphite forward grip, sure fire hand guards with rails, and EOTech site.

Any advice appreciated.  

Dear God Help you... Your Moving from a really Pro-Gun State to an Extremist Anti-Gun State. I miss living in NH.

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Ill store them for ya! Ill give them a nice home, shoot them, and clean them up. Man that sux to have to move out there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
dam i know i am doomed.  my best friend is in phoenix so i might store it with him.  getting rid and selling my guns is not an option.

yeah new hampshire is great, pretty cool going to a range with the guy next to you going full auto with his mp5.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I just moved from Reno, call the guy at Bizarre guns, that is where I go for all my needs in Reno.  He may have some advise for you.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#7]
NSFjojo could hang onto them for you!  He's in RENO!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Anything interesting in the collection?  I'm in Reno and would be glad to hold onto (and shoot) them!  

If you go the safe deposit route, I don't think you'll find one big enough.  You could leave the stripped receiver in a standard box, and take all the expensive goodies with you.

Storage facilities are another option, but I've heard too many horror stories to consider them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Any advice appreciated.  

What guns are you worried about? Your Bushmaster isn't "banned" in Kali.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anything interesting in the collection?  I'm in Reno and would be glad to hold onto (and shoot) them!  he
Storage facilities are another option, but I've heard too many horror stories to consider them. hr

thanks for the advice.

nothing too interesting.  i just recently got the assault rifle bug.  had handguns for ages.  i hae 3 weapons that are banned:

- AK-47 WASR-10 with foldable stock
- HK Type PTR-91 .308 Cal w/ hk bipod and sling, 2.5x10x44 scope,
- Bushmaster M4 with surefire rails, surefire m600 scout light, eotech, arms rear sight, grpahite forward grip
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What guns are you worried about? Your Bushmaster isn't "banned" in Kali.

what are you talking about?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
First read the "tacked" thread at the top of this forum.
Then check the AR/AK forum at CalGuns.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
First read the "tacked" thread at the top of this forum.
Then check the AR/AK forum at CalGuns. hr

Why go through 1000 of pages of hear say.  this is what it says on the California Dept of Justice website.  It is in Print that my Bushmaster is banned.  

"California law does not require persons moving into California report rifles or shotguns. One important thing to be aware of though is that certain rifles and shotguns may be defined as assault weapons in California and are prohibited from entering this state under most normal circumstances. Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California. For further information regarding what is defined as an assault weapon in California please click here. "

Here is the complete list of banned AK and AR's:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Leave them with Deputy Dangle of the Reno County Sheriff's Department
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I would take everything but the receiver with you, and store the receiver at a friends or relative.

Jeff
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Leave them with Deputy Dangle of the Reno County Sheriff's Department hr

he is great.. i think Reno911 is more reality than fiction not just in reno but law enforcement agencies accross the country
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would take everything but the receiver with you, and store the receiver at a friends or relative.

Jeff

right on.. should have thought of that.  i think i can easily store the recievers in a safe deposit box in Reno.  

man i feel like leutenant dunbar in dances with wolves... where i have to bury my own guns to keep the injuns and gov't troops from getting them
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
You could consider a storage box with a gunsafe. Bolt the safe down too. Maybe consider keeping a bunch of old newspapers stacked in there so a potential theif wouldnt want to spend time in there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, I can't help you with your reading comprehension. All the information you need is available in those links.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#20]
You could not even pay me to live in that Country.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
dam i know i am doomed.  my best friend is in phoenix so i might store it with him.  getting rid and selling my guns is not an option.

yeah new hampshire is great, pretty cool going to a range with the guy next to you going full auto with his mp5.

And you don't get funny looks about it either! I knew quite a few shooters who shoot AR15s, AK47s and M1As. The one thing I don't miss about that state is  all the snow (Trust me I have done my share of shoveling ).

BTW, if you don't mind me asking... why the heck are you moving there?

Quoted:
You could not even pay me to live in that Country Communist Police State.

there... Fixed it for ya

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:50:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you don't get funny looks about it either! I knew quite a few shooters who shoot AR15s, AK47s and M1As. The one thing I don't miss about that state is  all the snow (Trust me I have done my share of shoveling ).

BTW, if you don't mind me asking... why the heck are you moving there?

Quoted:
You could not even pay me to live in that Country Communist Police State.

there... Fixed it for ya

Nathan

NAH, I like Country better since it is no longer part of the US. I can not call it a state anymore.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sorry, I can't help you with your reading comprehension. All the information you need is available in those links.

I'll take a look.  Just a lot of info to dig through... thanks for the links.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Cartman, I'm in the same boat once I get back to the States, next assignment is at NTC, Fort Irwin. The good news is my wife's already got a great job out there so I can bank a lot of cash to buy stuff when I leave there, but I'm pondering Nevada storage myself rather than do a out-of-state-military registry. I don't want any paper on our two AR's after the initial 4473's.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Give these folks in Sparks a call:  Impact Indoor: 775-359-5599.

Apparently they will store your firearms if you become a Cali resident (internee).  I don't know anything about them but Googled "Nevada Firearm Storage" and they came up.

+1 to what was said about the cost of living in the Bay Area.  I hope you're going to make a shit-load of money.

Good Luck

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I grew up in the Bay Area and moved away (escaped) a few years ago.  I will never go back.  Seriously EC, I urge you to reconsider your decision.  A buddy of mine paid $75 for a FFL transfer there yesterday, and so things go.  State income tax is 7-8 percent (and rising), sales tax is over 8 percent, $2 for the bridge toll and $25 per day to park in SF if you are working there.  Everything is expensive (especially housing and gasoline), crime is rampant in parts of the Bay Area and you are legally required to be defenseless.  Oh yeah, everything that isn't already banned is in the process, and they are trying to make you register ammo with serial numbers.  What you can get will cost you through the nose.  While you leaving your lowers behind, better remember to leave any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds behind too.  Might be a good idea to learn to speak Spanish too...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I lived in Kalifornia before they went nuts with the Assault weapons ban.  When the Weapons ban was placed into law, I moved my ass out with my guns back to Kansas.
Besides, Kalifornia sucks to live in.  Too much traffic, rude people, VERY Expensive to live
I don't want to live in a state where I'm not wanted because what I believe in
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I will be keeping my same job.  It will be hard to leave NH... the winters suck but the springs and falls are the best.  No sales tax and no state income tax in New Hampshire...  I am originally from the Bay Area but have not been a resident the past 5 years.  I really don't want to move but my extended family is there and my girl got a good job there and also owns property there.  We discussed moving eventually, so it will not be permanent... Growing up I thought I could never leave the Bay, but living away I realized Cali is not all that and is over rated.... like I said, it is just a temporary thing.

Thanks for the help all!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you plan on coming back to NH, or is this a permanent move?
It might be easier to store them here.
Where in NH do you live?

I grew up in western NY. Like you, I have a lot of fond memories of my home, but the politics and taxes and gun laws are keeping me away
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Do you plan on coming back to NH, or is this a permanent move?
It might be easier to store them here.
Where in NH do you live?

I grew up in western NY. Like you, I have a lot of fond memories of my home, but the politics and taxes and gun laws are keeping me away

I am in Salem.  I like New Hampshire so moving back is not out of the question.  As for my guns, I think I will be storing them with my best friend in Arizona.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I am originally from the Bay Area but have not been a resident the past 5 years.  -snip- Growing up I thought I could never leave the Bay, but living away I realized Cali is not all that and is over rated....

A big +1, that is exactly how I felt.  Now you couldn't pay me enough to move back to that shit hole.  Keep your guns, ditch your girlfriend!

Seriously, I hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Take all your guns, but leave the banned lowers or uppers (whatever classifies the firearm) in a safe deposit box out of state.  This way you will minimize bulk, prevent any storage facility from shooting your toys, and be able to control the environment of the majority of your equipment.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I would say buy a Cheap gun cabinet lock them in their and leavce them with family or friends. Ever try to claim an item from a place that went out of business? Its apain int he ass if can even get your item back.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:21:35 AM EDT
[#35]
"Friends Don't Let Friends Move To California"
...and the Bay Area (lunatic/fascist/homozombie-zone) of all places? Good gawd. I fled SoCal and I thought that was bad. Northern Cal is like a liberal clusterfuck - on steroids.
I do wish you best of luck my friend. Sometimes in life we must bite the big one.
The advice already given to you is good and I can't top that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top