Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/30/2004 10:46:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
For the price they would cost, you might as well get a ranger with the tab.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I stated, not everyone likes the looks or needs the function of the Ranger Plates.

I know what you said, and I was just telling you my take on it.  

BTW did you read what is below my avatar?  
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, they *are* lumpy, so it would only be truth in advertising.

I'd probably like some of those if they weren't too thick.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not a bad idea lumpy. Seeing we already have the lock plate and stamping die for the SS plates It wouldn't be that much to build some custom slides to make this version.

They would still be a manual operation to build so would cost close to a Ranger plate to build.

Maybe we could call them "Lumpy Plates"

And this folks is why there is so much innovation! I love it.
Thanks Rich for all the great improvements!
good Idea Lumpy, I was thinking about taking a exacto blade to one myself.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Agreed, but I find the floorplates my mags come with work fine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like some Lumpy plates like Lumpy's pic, but thin (maybe .25" thick?), rubber and covers the whole "footprint" of the mag.  That way, they are low profile, fits into pouches and still takes a beating that dropping an empty on the deck incurs.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Have you tried the Ranger plates yet? If not do yourself a favor and buy a pack. I doubt you will ever go back....
C4

Personally, I'm afraid too. With all the mags I've got, it would get pretty darn expensive to out them all with Ranger Plates. Heck, I've still got to get Magpul followers for all but 6 of them.

I've learned one thing that's consistent with all Magpul products - once you've tried them, you want more and more of them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the name -- MagLumps!

I agree with Ghost-Shooter that if such a product were available, it'd have to provide full coverage of the bottom of the mag.  They'd need to be be fairly thin but squishy enough to provide reasonable protection.  Also, they'd have to be significantly less expensive than Ranger Plates to succeed on the market.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Right On!Id rather have just slap pads like on Wilson Combat's 1911 mags.I dont need the loop for anything
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I do not currently run any type of Magpul because they do not fit in my tight SOE pouches (Direct Action with snap).   If these low profile ones fit, I'll buy some.   I'd be happy to test some samples if possible, and can send them back to you with photos.   I'd only need 2 for the evaluation.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like a version of the ranger plates that would still allow 30rds in the mag together with the enhanced followers, even if it meant a slightly extended floorplate.

Tsh77796
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would like a version of the ranger plates that would still allow 30rds in the mag together with the enhanced followers, even if it meant a slightly extended floorplate.

Tsh77796

I ran 30rds in mags set up exactly that way (CF Labelle Teflons) in Afghan with nary a hickup...

That said I have been shamed into going to 28...
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Lumpy,
what pouches do you use?
my RPs (not trimed) are fairly tight in a GI pouch and I can not close the pouch at all on the GI "enhanced" LBE vest.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Tsh77796

I've had issues trying to get 30 rnds in mags with the Magpul followers and Ranger Plates.  I have some that I can squeeze 30 into, but then there is absolutely no play and they will NOT lock into the magazing catch with the bolt closed.  The rounds are so tight that I have to HIT the forward assist to get the round to strip from the mag.  

Some mags would work better than others (all NIW various makes) and I ended up having to try different mags in order to fit the magazines to the RP so that the full 30 rnd mags function normally.

ALL mags that I have with the RPs installed have less distance for the full 30 rnds to move making it slightly more difficult to insert on closed bolt.

They are difficult to get into USGI mag pouches with the RPs installed.

Has anyone tryed removing material from the bottom of the Magpul follower in order to make it easier to load 30 rnds with the Ranger Plates?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've had issues trying to get 30 rnds in mags with the Magpul followers and Ranger Plates.  I have some that I can squeeze 30 into, but then there is absolutely no play and they will NOT lock into the magazing catch with the bolt closed.  The rounds are so tight that I have to HIT the forward assist to get the round to strip from the mag.  

Some mags would work better than others (all NIW various makes) and I ended up having to try different mags in order to fit the magazines to the RP so that the full 30 rnd mags function normally.

ALL mags that I have with the RPs installed have less distance for the full 30 rnds to move making it slightly more difficult to insert on closed bolt.

Has anyone tryed removing material from the bottom of the Magpul follower in order to make it easier to load 30 rnds with the Ranger Plates?

Please correct me if I'm wrong if you use Ranger Plates, you are only supposed to load the mags with 29, correct? From the sounds of it, if you're cramming 30 rnds. into your mags, you're putting unnecessary stress on the feed lips which, over time, will cause them to fail. Heck, some folks only load 29 rnds into mags that don't have Ranger Plates just to make them easier to seat if the bolt is forward.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Please correct me if I'm wrong if you use Ranger Plates, you are only supposed to load the mags with 29, correct? From the sounds of it, if you're cramming 30 rnds. into your mags, you're putting unnecessary stress on the feed lips which, over time, will cause them to fail. Heck, some folks only load 29 rnds into mags that don't have Ranger Plates just to make them easier to seat if the bolt is forward.

In the RP instructions it says:

"29 Round Limitation
30 rnd magazines with the Magpul Ranger should only be  loaded with 29 rounds unless used with the Magpul Enhanced Follower. (SLF)"
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

"29 Round Limitation
30 rnd magazines with the Magpul Ranger should only be  loaded with 29 rounds unless used with the Magpul Enhanced Follower. (SLF)"

Roger that and thank you for the info. I did not know that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#24]
not to Poo Poo the idea (cause it has some merit) but I run the old style mag puls and have the loop turned to cover the entire floor plate. These pretty much protects an empty mag when being dropped on the deck and are a lot cheaper and easy to install/remove. I see  it working on pistol mags that need to fit flush but it seems kinda of a reinvention of the original Mag Puls . just my $.02
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"29 Round Limitation

I've never given a second thought to loading 30rds into my mags that have both ranger plates and then enhanced followers. I've yet to experience any problems.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
not to Poo Poo the idea (cause it has some merit) but I run the old style mag puls and have the loop turned to cover the entire floor plate. These pretty much protects an empty mag when being dropped on the deck and are a lot cheaper and easy to install/remove. I see  it working on pistol mags that need to fit flush but it seems kinda of a reinvention of the original Mag Puls . just my $.02

Yes, but with the older Magpuls (which I actually prefer just a bit over the Ranger Plates) it can be a tight fit or even a no-go in some pouches.  This would be a remedy for that and a remedy for pouches that won't close with the Ranger Plate tabs.  It would be another great otion for those who need it.  Everyone's needs, styles, and even gear is different and this woould be a great addition to the Magpul line for those that can't or don't need the option of either type of Magpuls but still want bottom protection of the mag (with the added benefit of easier disassembly).  A very good idea , IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Grant - you know, I had no problem using the 30 rounds with the Ranger plates and magpul followers - even on a closed bolt - Could not do it with the green folowers but once I put the enhanced follower in it worked fine.  The LF board, and a few I told you so people up here, have made me change my evil way though

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Grant - you know, I had no problem using the 30 rounds with the Ranger plates and magpul followers - even on a closed bolt - Could not do it with the green folowers but once I put the enhanced follower in it worked fine.  The LF board, and a few I told you so people up here, have made me change my evil way though

Why did you change if you had no problems?  Preventative measure?  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes preventative.

The point was made to me by a few shooters I respect that I was gaining 20rds for the sake of a greater increased potential for problems.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, not to get off topic here but why is the number 29 considered bad and the number 28 considered lucky? I'm not a superstitous person so please enlighten me. And I'm just talking about the actual numbers themselves and not in the context of downloading mags. I know KevinB is "the real deal" so I would never debate something of this nature with him.

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Matt - I dont know.
 There was a thread on LF - between that and our Tier1 shooters kept saying 28...

Of course there was this bridge once

Seriously I heard enough problems about mags and the 30 with bulging - I tend to render my non-serviceable mags really non serviceable with a heavy object (a large hammer is good) and turn them in for new ones when I have mag related issues, so that could be why I have not had problems previously.  

A lot of stoppages I have seen have been from poor mags that should have been rotated for new ones - the 28 is supposed to slow this process out from what I have understood - plus easier to cock with the bolt forward...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I know KevinB is "the real deal"

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally from Knightone

Yes, but with the older Magpuls (which I actually prefer just a bit over the Ranger Plates) it can be a tight fit or even a no-go in some pouches. This would be a remedy for that and a remedy for pouches that won't close with the Ranger Plate tabs. It would be another great otion for those who need it. Everyone's needs, styles, and even gear is different and this woould be a great addition to the Magpul line for those that can't or don't need the option of either type of Magpuls but still want bottom protection of the mag (with the added benefit of easier disassembly). A very good idea , IMHO.

actually, that is a really good reason. I did not think about the all the different pouches. and I did not think about Lumpy's Idea on not needing to mess up the floor plate. OK ..change mind. make um in OD and I'm in for a couple. but make the rubber a medium durometer to give them a little cushion....
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#40]
This was brought up on another thead and while reading this thread, something came to mind.  Why couldn't the ranger plate become "modular"  grove that base (keyway), and make a loop that would slide and lock so you could use it either way?  Just a thought, Rich could sell the base plate or in a kit format like the pistol grip.  The shooter can decide which configuration best fits his/her situation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This was brought up on another thead and while reading this thread, something came to mind.  Why couldn't the ranger plate become "modular"  grove that base (keyway), and make a loop that would slide and lock so you could use it either way?  Just a thought, Rich could sell the base plate or in a kit format like the pistol grip.  The shooter can decide which configuration best fits his/her situation.

Probably for the same reason that you can't just cut the loop off a standard Ranger plate. You'd have to add extra material to make the ranger loop removable. That would increase the height, and make it more difficult to fit in a mag pouch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Not necessarily.  All that would be needed is a key way female on the plate, and a key way male on the loop, slide it in place.  No increase in the OAL.
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#43]
It's not that easy. Look at a Ranger tab. My first thought, when Lumpy suggested this, was to just cut the loop off. Can't do it, there wouldn't be much of a buffer left. So, if you increase the thickness of the base, to make it as Lumpy suggests, you will have an increase in overall thickness.

The thing is, if they were to make the pads as Lumpy suggests, they are quick change between loop, or no loop, without going through the mess of dealing with the slot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't agree with you, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I am newbie to the AR15, and learning much from the various forums.  
This may seem an obvious question, but could someone please explain to me the functions and advantages of having Ranger Plates and Magpuls for a 30 round magazine?
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Are you running +10% or Heavy-Duty mag springs (the red ones from SAW)? Either one of those will have issues when you combine them with the Ranger Plates and any follower. You need to run a plain USGI mag spring or you will see the issues you describe until the heavy duty spring wears in a bit.

Link Posted: 2/6/2005 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#49]
i think that the ranger plates add even more drop-buffering ability due to the looped design...i think the current design would translate LESS shock to the mag body when hitting the ground than the solid rubber design...even though that is a pretty cool design you "rendered"

with that said...I LOVE my ranger plates...i dont fear letting my mags free fall from the magwell anymore at all.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Bump to show support.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top