Link Posted: 2/14/2005 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#3]
C4  IM  your way .

Edited : Thanks Grant
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
So, let me see if I have this formula correct.  

$10 100% reliable USGI mag w/ green follower + Ranger Plate + MagPul follower =  $20 28 round 100% mag.

So, what am I getting for this extra money??  Oh, reliablity.  Wait, that can't be it, my mag is all ready 100% reliable.  Oh, its easier to disassemble.  I didn't realize they were that difficult to take apart, so that can't be it.  Oh yeah, it protects my floorplate.  Yeah, the last thing I want is a scratch on the floorplate of my WORKING mag!!  Its a tool, not a safe queen!

So, basically what I've achieved is a 30rd mag that you can only load 28 rounds in.

You accessory guys crack me up!!

Oh, flame on!  I know how sandy everyone's vaginas get when you say anything remotely negative about accessories, especially the ubertactical nifty-spiffy new-and-improved anti-tilt followers with great-big-loop floorplates!!

Link Posted: 2/14/2005 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thats for sharing.

Im not upset about what you said, I just dont particularly give a fuck about your opinion, so its all good.

Lumpy's the king!
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok, not to get off topic here but why is the number 29 considered bad and the number 28 considered lucky? I'm not a superstitous person so please enlighten me. And I'm just talking about the actual numbers themselves and not in the context of downloading mags. I know KevinB is "the real deal" so I would never debate something of this nature with him.

I previously read this here on ARFCOM, but don't know exactly where- anyway, 28 is better than 29 because the first round feeds from the right side of the mag vs. the left side.  I don't remember any more than that, but that was why it went from 30 to 28, skipping 29.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
28 works for me, especially if that means i can get my mags out of my pouch faster, let them free fall from the magwell and not fear damage, and KNOW that they work 110%.....to me, its worth the loss of 2 rounds, and the extra money i spent.

Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cant wait to get some "L-Plates" of my own

lumpy plates?

ooh ooh...mag-lump!
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

$10 100% reliable USGI mag w/ green follower + Ranger Plate + MagPul follower =  $20 28 round 100% mag.

So, what am I getting for this extra money??  Oh, reliablity.  Wait, that can't be it, my mag is all ready 100% reliable.  Oh, its easier to disassemble.  I didn't realize they were that difficult to take apart, so that can't be it.  Oh yeah, it protects my floorplate.  Yeah, the last thing I want is a scratch on the floorplate of my WORKING mag!!  Its a tool, not a safe queen!

So, basically what I've achieved is a 30rd mag that you can only load 28 rounds in.

Oh, flame on!  I know how sandy everyone's vaginas get when you say anything remotely negative about accessories, especially the ubertactical nifty-spiffy new-and-improved anti-tilt followers with great-big-loop floorplates!!

If you don't need them, then don't buy them.  If you have never had any problems, no one is forcing you to buy or install anything.  There are some people on the boards that don't just shoot paper targets on a target range that do need these upgrades.  If your life depends on a piece of gear, then every little thing counts.

BTW, Magpuls aren't about not getting scratches on floorplates.  A lot of things can get messed up when a mag hits the deck hard.  If you had actually spent any appreciable time behind the trigger under adverse conditions, you'd know that.  But hey, it seems like you know it all so why should I try to tell you a damn thing?

Link Posted: 2/15/2005 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think most here would agree: NO magazine is 100% without the MP enhanced followers. So simple, so damn effective!
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this idea gonna be a reality or not???  Just curious.  I would be interested in putting them on mags that aren't currently in an LBV (they have ranger plates already).

Has two months made a difference in opinions?
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is this idea gonna be a reality or not???  Just curious.  

Has two months made a difference in opinions?

They were on display at SHOT.

I still feel they are a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They were on display at SHOT.

I still feel they are a good idea.

Brilliant!!....were they in coyote and OD too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think most here would agree: NO magazine is 100% without the MP enhanced followers. So simple, so damn effective!

And you base this claim on what, validated data or internet hype?  MP followers have been out for less than a year, and they're all the sudden the end-all cure-all problem for mags??   Weren't you guys saying the same thing about green followers a few years ago?  And no, I don't agree, as will most people who haven't been sucked in by the $3 follower craze.  Matter of fact, I would put my green-follower Center and LaBelle mags against any mag you can put together, and the results will all be the same.  Well, except for the fact my mags will still hold 30 rounds.  

Thats for sharing.

Im not upset about what you said, I just dont particularly give a fuck about your opinion, so its all good.

No, you do.  Otherwise you wouldn't have responded.  Thanks for caring, though!!  Its always refreshing to know I am in your thoughts.  But, I am disappointed I didn't get a Valentine's card from you, Lumpy!

If you had actually spent any appreciable time behind the trigger under adverse conditions

I don't need "appreciable trigger time" to know marketing hype.  I have done more mag tests than I care to admit, with basically all the results being the same.  Dropping mags does very little to the floorplate, loaded or unloaded.  I've dropped my mags from 3' all the way to 15' feet, and basically all I end up with is rounds popping out all over the place and little to no damage to the floorplate.   Besides, how often are you guys dropping your magazines?  What the hell are you doing that causes you to drop your mags enough to damage them?  Are you that clumsy??  I mean, this really is a non-issue for the military, because how many soldiers are stopping to pick up their mags?  Those with "appreciable trigger time", are you retreiving all your empty mags in a firefight?  Its not like a little scratch going to cause my mag to malfunction, is it?   Besides, what are you going to do when your mag is stepped on or seriously dented?  Green follower or MP follower, you're still screwed.  

Furthermore, am I to understand that now every soldier in harms way is going to battle ill-equipped because they don't have the latest Arfcom approved new fangled product?  I hardly think so.  Don't get me wrong, I think that  two legs are (theoretically) a better concept, but it basically solves a problem that doesn't exist for 99.999998% of users.   I know this hurts a lot of the fragile wannabe-commando egos here, but its the truth.  

But, look on the bright side, your helping Grant sell a lot more followers!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't need "appreciable trigger time" to know marketing hype.  I have done more mag tests than I care to admit, with basically all the results being the same.  Dropping mags does very little to the floorplate, loaded or unloaded.  I've dropped my mags from 3' all the way to 15' feet, and basically all I end up with is rounds popping out all over the place and little to no damage to the floorplate.   Besides, how often are you guys dropping your magazines?  What the hell are you doing that causes you to drop your mags enough to damage them?  Are you that clumsy??  I mean, this really is a non-issue for the military, because how many soldiers are stopping to pick up their mags?  Those with "appreciable trigger time", are you retreiving all your empty mags in a firefight?  Its not like a little scratch going to cause my mag to malfunction, is it?   Besides, what are you going to do when your mag is stepped on or seriously dented?  Green follower or MP follower, you're still screwed.  

This is where you are missing the boat. It's not about protecting the base plates. It's about protecting the feedlips. The extra weight of the mag-pul on the bottom of the mag keeps the mag pointing down, rather than flipping and landing on the feedlips.
As far as clumsy, in high stress situations your fine motor skills don't work so good, or perhaps speed demands that you hit the mag release and just let the mag drop. That mag may not be spent. You may need to retrieve it and re-use it. It would truly suck if it wouldn't feed cartridges, no?

Furthermore, am I to understand that now every soldier in harms way is going to battle ill-equipped because they don't have the latest Arfcom approved new fangled product?  I hardly think so.  Don't get me wrong, I think that  two legs are (theoretically) a better concept, but it basically solves a problem that doesn't exist for 99.999998% of users.   I know this hurts a lot of the fragile wannabe-commando egos here, but its the truth.  

But, look on the bright side, your helping Grant sell a lot more followers!!

It's not a problem for range shooting, and isn't necessary. But, different strokes for different folks. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]

eta - damn, missed it...

I'd like these for fast and ready monopod use as much as for a mag bumper, would be cool on a 20 or 3.  I won't be setting up all my mags with them, and I don't have rangers on all my mags either, only the ones I use.

Jason280 - You're welcome to vote with your dollar.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Furthermore, am I to understand that now every soldier in harms way is going to battle ill-equipped because they don't have the latest Arfcom approved new fangled product? I hardly think so. Don't get me wrong, I think that two legs are (theoretically) a better concept, but it basically solves a problem that doesn't exist for 99.999998% of users. I know this hurts a lot of the fragile wannabe-commando egos here, but its the truth.

Personally I dont care what followers I have in my mags... they all work fine for what I do.... but that statement to me was just a little messed up...

Even if it saved 1 soldier overseas from problems that would obviously go unseen, because the problem was stopped where it could have been, and it saved his or her life, then to me that product is and will be worth it. Even if it saved 1 life, because that life could be mine in 5 years or it could be anyone's here, and thats more valuable than crying over a 3$ peice of plastic.

My bets would be on the fact that Magpul designs a lot of these products with the Soldier/LEO in mind, not the range commando. Just my .02$
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Dude, lay off the speed and take a break.  If ya don't like shit don't buy it and voice you opinion less like a cocky flamer.  Oh, my vagina is not sandy, good looking out though.  As far as your "100% reliable mag", great for you, we all don't shoot  in a room filled with pink fluffy pillows with little gay boys dressed in grass skirts catching our mags  Dude, your a fag and not because you think different, but because your ghey.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I am newbie to the AR15, and learning much from the various forums.  
This may seem an obvious question, but could someone please explain to me the functions and advantages of having Ranger Plates and Magpuls for a 30 round magazine?

+1  - Thanks for asking this question as I was about to ask the very same thing when reading this thread.  The subsequent answer makes perfect sense... speed of magazine removal from pouches.  I'll be ordering some.

Howls,
Ice-Wolf
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#26]

One problem with your formula is the USGI mags (or any mags for that matter) are not 100% reliable. Twice a year I spent a week at the range as a PMI (Primary Marksmanship Instructor) helping guys in my unit to qualify with the M16. We had about 200 shooters expending about 200 rounds each a day. Everyday without exception we would have 5 to 10 magazine related malfunctions on the line

This is where we are on the same page.  No type of addition is going to make the mag 100%, regardless if its MP or a plain on green-follower.  The magazine is the weakest link in any rifle, and I am all for making the mag more reliable.  The problem is, I really don't see the MP follower being a better mousetrap than the green follower.  Its possible they might help in older mags with weak springs, but I do not see an advantage in good mags with good springs.  I could be wrong, but I highly doubt anyone is putting an MP follower in an old & crappy mag., so this really seems to be a non-issue.  I would also suspect that the mag failures experienced were with older mags, which may have had questionable springs and feedlips.  

Rich, I really appreciate your input and response here.  Its just one of those times when we agree to disagree.  I think the MP follower is a great idea for military types and questionable mags, but most of the ARf.com crowd will never see the benefit of the product.  I've heard several accounts of people installing the MP follower in older mags that didn't function reliably, and the MP follower solved the problem.  I believe the MP follower can be a remedy to older mags, but like I said, I doubt anyone is using the follower in an old and wornout magazine.  

New mags with good springs are just about as reliable as you can get, and I simply do not feel the MP follower is going to make a new mag any better.  However, I do understand that over time and many thousands of rounds the MP follower will typically fail fewer times than a green follower, but very few people here will ever actually shoot that many rounds through one mag.  

Here's my logic.  Take a new mag w/ green follower and a MagPul equipped magazine, and shoot 500-750 rounds through each.  That's the typical round count of most AR shooters, so it should serve as a good sample.  Now, does anyone actually think one mag is going to function better than the other in 500 rounds?  It might be different in an older mag, but not in a new mag.  I would bet anyone $50 that the results would be identical between the mags.  Why?  Because new mags simply work as close to 100% as you can get.  Now, older mag are different.  

Rich, thanks again for your input and thanks for supporting the site!
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#27]

we all don't shoot in a room filled with pink fluffy pillows with little gay boys dressed in grass skirts catching our mags Dude, your a fag and not because you think different, but because your ghey.

And to think, I once thought internet connections in prison were a bad idea.  If it gives 7KOCKER something to do, then I guess its worth it...  Just try keeping your fantasies to yourself.

Link Posted: 2/16/2005 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Rich, those look great.

Quoted:
They do look great!...

C4

Rich as per our conversation at SHOT:

Will final production models have the "Magpul" notch that appears on the sides of the floorplate at the front (bullet tip) end???
Lumpy, C4 what do you think worthwhile addition?

Oh and BTW; They do look great!

/S2
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Rich, those look great.

+1

I'll be picking some up as soon as they hit the market.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]
yep, I like em. Will still fit in my vest pouchs and keep the mag. protected if they get ejected onto concrete or other hard surfaces.
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#31]
These look great. Will they limit mag capacity on 20s to 19/18rnds?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#33]
TTT
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/20/2005 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/21/2005 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#36]
although i am still new to the ar15 world, I am very intersted in the l-plates

the ease of breaking down the mags for cleaning maint is a huge plus

i think these would fill a void for those that are not happy with standard floor plates and those that do not need/like the ranger plates

be watching for them later this spring to spend more of my ot money on my toys
Link Posted: 3/21/2005 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#37]
any work on the MagLumps yet (03212005)
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 4:25:59 AM EDT
[#38]
4/03/05 -- any progress  
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
4/03/05 -- any progress  

yes there is progress,just an IM last night.Mag Lumps will be available in 4-6 weeks
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will final production models have the "Magpul" notch that appears on the sides of the floorplate at the front (bullet tip) end???
Lumpy, C4 what do you think worthwhile addition?

Think its an EXCELLENT idea.

Thanks Brother...

Quoted:
Yes we got the notch in as well as an angle in the rear to reinforce direction.

EXCELLENT...

www.magpul.com/pics/lumpyfinal.jpg

just waiting on cnc time to build the slides.

And yes...SWEET indeed...

/S2

Link Posted: 4/3/2005 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Very SWEET
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I say Lumpy needs to autograph the packaging of the first run for all us Arfcomers!

Link Posted: 4/3/2005 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Badass stuff guys.
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#47]
How many other guys are planning to use a couple of these on 20's?
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/3/2005 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Who needs a bipod anyway!
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

me
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top