Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 3:37:57 PM EDT
Yes I know, some will whine they're both just expensive range toys. But hey, what else do I have to spend my money on? Food, house payments and milk for the screaming babies are just frivolities! This is important stuff, so what's good, what's bad and  what should I buy??

Get on yer soapbox, he lets git it on!!!!!

Thanks,

C.M. };p>

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have neither, but would personally go with the Beta.  They seem to be made a lot better than the 90rd drums...

TS
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have neither, but would personally go with the Beta.  They seem to be made a lot better than the 90rd drums...

TS

True dat, though I've read too many reports on their fragility/reliability problems.  Running with the prices here as examples:  surplusammo.com/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=c86e6b0911bccab321767d2b01f6af1d you're looking at either $220 for 100 rounds (granted, continuous shots) vs. $220 for *600* rounds.  IMHO, I'd spring for 20 30's over a Beta.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive owned them all.

Now I only have USGI.

90 rounder makes your weapon lean like the tower of Pisa, Beta mags are a toy, nothing more.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

TS

+1

i think that i would only have the B-C for coolness though....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Beta Cmags are awesome, stay away from the MWG 90s, they suck.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Uh, this is ARFCOM... GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:38:37 AM EDT
[#7]
IM me if you want an unused Beta cheap.  Seriously.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Email sent, thanks Tirador223.
C.M.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#9]
My Beta has run flawlessly so far but I've only had it for less than a year.  So far, so good.

I wouldn't get one of those 90 round things.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My Beta has run flawlessly so far but I've only had it for less than a year.  So far, so good.

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a 90 rounder, has run perfect to date.  I shoot 3 gun matches with it.  ONLY grip with it is the height.  Nice thing about the snail shape is that you can shoot sideways  Some matchs make you shoot angles and positions that you'd not likely try on your own  

But I'm actually thinking about adding a BetaC when I have some gun money free up.  I've not owned or handled a Beta, but I'd be shocked to find that it is more stout than the MGW.  

They are both plastic, and I'd rather have 3 thirties in a TEOTWAWKI scene.

Here are my list of pros/cons

Pricing - huge plus for the MWG
Capacity - Technically a bonus on the beta,  but I'd call it a wash
Reliability - research when I bought MWG (2 years back) pointed to MWG.  But I think most reliability issues arise in FA fire.
Shape - beta is shorter, can be shot prone or off bench a bit more easily (but not likely to be used that way).  Still,  I'd give the edge to Beta (having not actually handled one.)
Sales volume/ recognizability - Beta C.  Hear of a lot more being owned than MWG.  Friends at the range still ask ... "what is that?"  

If you are mostly looking for a way to burn rounds and are cost concious, you'd be crazy not to go MWG.  If this is fun money and you aren't too short on funds, then you have a decision to make.  If this is for HD/SD or SHTF storage, then move over to the 30 round aisle, then to the mag cinch aisle, toss in a couple of 20's for prone work and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My Beta is almost 1 year old now, and has also worked flawlessly. I can't speak for the other 90 rounder because I have not messed with any, but I have heard / read that there is a bunch of weight on the left side when full of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have enough 30 rounders for STHF. I believe they are the way to go in that situation. Still wide open on the  MWG 90 vs Beta. Please keep the comments coming.

Thanks, C.M.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a clear Beta and love it. You can bump fire about 75 - 80 rounds at a time. Gets a little heavy and makes it real tricky to do with a full 100 (but possible). Works great. Although I don't recommend dropping from a high distance.

IMHO, if you get the MWG and it works, deep down you will still wish you had a Beta instead.

It's also kind of like a work out. If you're firing from the shoulder usually your arms will get sore before you can empty your beta. After a couple times of this you'll be feeling the burn tomorrow. Who needs a gym membership?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#16]
This may help you make up your mind:

home.earthlink.net/~q3131/data/

Do a save as on file: betadump.mov

This will require quicktime.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That video rocked!!!!!!!  Though extremely neat, I would get a beta only if you just had extra $$$ to spend.  I would spend my $$ on 10-15 usgi 20 or 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That video rocked!!!!!!!  Though extremely neat, I would get a beta only if you just had extra $$$ to spend.  I would spend my $$ on 10-15 usgi 20 or 30 round mags.

Get both

I just ordered another 40 mags from Bravo.  w00t!  Go Bravo Company!!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely. The Beta is a fun range toy. The point of this thread was wheter to buy a beta-c or an MGW drum.

My suggestion: Get both.

My nephew likes the Beta-C as you can tell by the smile on his face at the end of the video.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#20]
The video was great, I loved it. You might have swayed me to the Beta.

C.M.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
bump
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#22]
The MGI is essentially a 90 round magazine rolled up to reduce length. It can be difficult to fully load the magazine and until mine was "broken in" I couldn't load more than 75 rounds. After I used it some, I was able to load all 90 rounds, however it seems like the spring gets weak and doesn't have the strength to lift the rounds up towards the end of the magazine. I have found it to be very reliable up to around 70, but after that I have noticed some failures. With the exception of the occasional failure after around 70 rounds, I have found it to be extremely reliable and effective.
The Beta is a better design. It can be stored loaded and its design makes sure there is adequate tension and assures reliable feeding. It is also better balanced than the MGI snail drum.

Reliability seems to be equal with the Beta having a slight edge. I don't really like drums personally as I would rather buy 20 thirty round D&H magazines than 1 Beta drum. They are, however, a lot of fun at the range. I bought 3 Beta Cmags for my A4/M249gery. Its a DPMS Arctic Panther with a 20 inch 1/8 bull barrel with a Vortex and DD 12.0 rail, both duracoated white to match, and an Elcan optic with M4 reticle. It also has a Harris bi pod and Troy BUIS. Its a pretty nifty little set up. I have always wanted one of these since I first saw one and living/hunting in SD where there is a lot of snow, it makes sense to be white....in addition to being extremely cool. This

gun shoots 1 MOA or under but with the bi pod you can shoot extremely fas and accurate. Its kind of a combo between a DMR and SAW. The drum works perfectly for this application. That being said, I don't really prefer them. They are heavy, bulky and not always 100% reliable*more like 85%*. To me, this gun is the next best thing to a Shrike and a Cmag is an ok substitute for a belt fed. For a range toy, they both will suffice. I bought the Cmag because it can be stored loaded reliably and its less likely to mono pod while shooting prone. For just goofing around, get the MGI because its cheaper. The Beta is nice because you can install a different feed tower and use it for different weapons.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:58:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Makes me wonder if we are talking about the same thing ryno?  MWG drum, right?  Mine loaded 90 from the start.  I've yet to have a problem, but I don't leave mine loaded (didn't need to set the spring and it's not in a bug out bag).  I leave rounds in strippers and can load it up pretty fast with that.  When I first got it, I hand cycled a couple of mags, because I couldn't make the range immediately.  All fed fine.  Probably put 4 or 5 mags  thru it total is all.  Couple of mags plinking and a couple in action shooting competitions.   But haven't had failures.  

Hmmm,  let me think this thru  "honey, the arfcom guys say I HAVE to buy a betaC to complete the drum mag test. .....  "  I think I need to work on the delivery.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#24]
MWG's work with 458 SOCOM
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#26]
btt
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:47:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I have and vote for the Beta
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#28]
i got the 90 rounder cause it works with a brass catcher

oh, and i have a beta-c-mag w/ clear cover
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#29]
btt
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I have two Beta C's and I like them. I myself have not had any feeding  issues as of yet

Just keep in mind that when you or if you buy one that it is a expensive novelty.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top