Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/26/2003 3:13:02 PM EST
I saw a "special" bayonet advertised that will work on the 16" carbines.

It had a weird extension below the regular handle to make it longer.

My choice of pre-ban AR is going to depend on whether or not it will accept the M7 and M9 bayonets. I've seen so many variations between the bayonet lug and flash hider, I wonder what is standard for the bayonets.

What do I need to look for to make sure I don't have problems? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 9:01:35 PM EST
I've seen what you're talking about. The cheapest place I've seen them is on Ebay. www.deltaforce.com sells them. But if I were you, I'd get a 14.5" barrel with a fixed flash suppressor to avoid the problem all together. That's what I'm doing for my M4, but it is being sent to GG&G for their flipper. Hope this helps. -Steve
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 10:24:21 PM EST
MN227, The thing is, M7 & M9 won't normally fit on a 16" (you already know this) so it is really dependent on the extension. All the bayonet lugs I have seen first hand are all the same, and I stick with flash hiders that are mil-spec in outside dimension. I think that leaves F/H like Colt, Gem-Tech, AAC, KAC, Vortex, and maybe Phantom? Probably others too. I bought one of those M7 Bayonets from PreBanArms/Cuzco for 16" carbines, and it is really nice. The bayonet is a real Colt and the extension is made very well and finished perfectly - it all looks like factory. The standard for bayonets, flash hiders, and bayonet mounts is a matter of mil-spec dimensions. Except for those barrels with a funky flash hider or muzzle brake, I don't think you will have a problem. P.S. I also have an M7 bayonet that fits the original Bushmaster 5.5" flash hider (mounted on a 11.5" barrel). I don't know where you get those cause the flash hider is larger than a standard F/H I think.
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 10:53:16 PM EST
Got a good picture of the lug extension?
Link Posted: 2/27/2003 2:14:48 PM EST
Hey thanks! I can see another topic here is covering this. I'm looking at an Olympic shorty, ad states it is a 10" with a 6" flash suppressor. It looks like a standard diameter, so I am guessing this will work. As a rule, what brands/variants won't take the standard bayonet? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2003 2:23:18 PM EST
I REALLY like the Bushmaster 16in pre-ban A3 with the ARMS S.I.R., this would HAVE to be mil-spec for M7 M9 bayonets right? It's just some companies use "too short" length handguards/gas systems which pull the gas block further from the flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 2/28/2003 12:06:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/28/2003 12:07:06 AM EST by AK_Mike]
Originally Posted By Shadowblade: Got a good picture of the lug extension?
View Quote
Not really, but here is 16" M7 Bayonet pic from the [url]www.prebanarms.com[/url] website. [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=7865[/img]
Top Top