Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2003 4:13:02 PM EDT
I saw a "special" bayonet advertised that will work on the 16" carbines.

It had a weird extension below the regular handle to make it longer.

My choice of pre-ban AR is going to depend on whether or not it will accept the M7 and M9 bayonets.  I've seen so many variations between the bayonet lug and flash hider, I wonder what is standard for the bayonets.

What do I need to look for to make sure I don't have problems?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen what you're talking about. The cheapest place I've seen them is on Ebay.
www.deltaforce.com
sells them.
But if I were you, I'd get a 14.5" barrel with a fixed flash suppressor to avoid the problem all together.
That's what I'm doing for my M4, but it is being sent to GG&G for their flipper.
Hope this helps.
-Steve
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
MN227,

The thing is, M7 & M9 won't normally fit on a 16" (you already know this) so it is really dependent on the extension.  All the bayonet lugs I have seen first hand are all the same, and I stick with flash hiders that are mil-spec in outside dimension.  I think that leaves F/H like Colt, Gem-Tech, AAC, KAC, Vortex, and maybe Phantom?  Probably others too.  I bought one of those M7 Bayonets from PreBanArms/Cuzco for 16" carbines, and it is really nice.  The bayonet is a real Colt and the extension is made very well and finished perfectly - it all looks like factory.

The standard for bayonets, flash hiders, and bayonet mounts is a matter of mil-spec dimensions.  Except for those barrels with a funky flash hider or muzzle brake, I don't think you will have a problem.

P.S. I also have an M7 bayonet that fits the original Bushmaster 5.5" flash hider (mounted on a 11.5" barrel).  I don't know where you get those cause the flash hider is larger than a standard F/H I think.
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a good picture of the lug extension?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2003 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey thanks!

I can see another topic here is covering this.

I'm looking at an Olympic shorty, ad states it is a 10" with a 6" flash suppressor.  It looks like a standard diameter, so I am guessing this will work.  

As a rule, what brands/variants won't take the standard bayonet?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2003 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I REALLY like the Bushmaster 16in pre-ban A3 with the ARMS S.I.R., this would HAVE to be mil-spec for M7 M9 bayonets right?  

It's just some companies use "too short" length handguards/gas systems which pull the gas block further from the flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 2/28/2003 1:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Got a good picture of the lug extension?  
View Quote

Not really, but here is 16" M7 Bayonet pic from the [url]www.prebanarms.com[/url] website.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=7865[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top