Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:52:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2007 8:52:45 AM EST by coburn]
I have an LMT Defender complete rifle (bought the upper and lower separately). I have been wanting to do a slight rebuild of the rifle in the K.I.S.S them for a while now. What I want to do is purchase a CMMG A1 upper and swap all of the LMT parts (barrel, etc) from the LMT upper to the CMMG. Having not done this before, I thought I would check with the hive as to whether this would be inadvisable? Any opinions on this?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:01:39 AM EST
You may have some elevation issues with the F marked FSB.

I'd just leave it a flat top and run a LaRue BUIS and leave the option for future optics myself but that's not very KISS.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:04:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By comp1911:

Would this also be the case with the LMT detachable carry handle?

I really like the A1 rear sight....dang it, I hadn't thought about that F marked FSB height. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:07:22 AM EST
i wouldn't disassemble the factory LMT upper... sell it and use the money to buy a barreled CMMG A1 upper...

or just keep your eye on the EE and buy a Colt detachable carry handle...

i don't like the A1 uppers since they have two small hole apertures, and i always find myself wanting to have the flattop "just in case"...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:12:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2007 9:13:51 AM EST by comp1911]

Originally Posted By coburn:

Would this also be the case with the LMT detachable carry handle?

No. The higher F marked FSB is for flat top service and designed for use with the detachable carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:16:52 AM EST
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:18:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2007 11:20:06 AM EST by Smead]
Wouldn't using a non "F" marked FSB solve the problem of using an A1 receiver??
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:27:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By Smead:

Yes but...

Not really a good option because its very difficult to install a new FSB on a barrel that is already cut for one. In fact I don't know if it is other then a clamp on type.

The simple solution is a shorter sight post.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:29:37 PM EST

Yes but...

Not really a good option because its very difficult to install a new FSB on a barrel that is already cut for one. In fact I don't know if it is other then a clamp on type.

I have heard that about swithing the FSB, yet a number of people around here seem to do it, as well as barrels sold on the EE without a FSB.

Thought of using a shorter sight post as well. I know that BM provides a longer one, but does anyone sell a shorter version; or do you have to have a satndard one milled down??
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:49:17 PM EST

Yes but...

I have heard that about swithing the FSB, yet a number of people around here seem to do it, as well as barrels sold on the EE without a FSB.

Thought of using a shorter sight post as well. I know that BM provides a longer one, but does anyone sell a shorter version; or do you have to have a satndard one milled down??

Good question on the sight post, I don't know, I've never looked. I know they make taller posts.

I've installed FSB's on barrels that have not been cut for them prior as well. I used a laser to align and a mini mill to drill the holes.
Top Top