Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 9:52:25 AM EDT
I have an LMT Defender complete rifle (bought the upper and lower separately).  I have been wanting to do a slight rebuild of the rifle in the K.I.S.S them for a while now.  What I want to do is purchase a CMMG A1 upper and swap all of the LMT parts (barrel, etc) from the LMT upper to the CMMG.  Having not done this before, I thought I would check with the hive as to whether this would be inadvisable?  Any opinions on this?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You may have some elevation issues with the F marked FSB.

I'd just leave it a flat top and run a LaRue BUIS and leave the option for future optics myself but that's not very KISS.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Would this also be the case with the LMT detachable carry handle?  

I really like the A1 rear sight....dang it, I hadn't thought about that F marked FSB height.  Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]
i wouldn't disassemble the factory LMT upper... sell it and use the money to buy a barreled CMMG A1 upper...

or just keep your eye on the EE and buy a Colt detachable carry handle...

i don't like the A1 uppers since they have two small hole apertures, and i always find myself wanting to have the flattop "just in case"...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would this also be the case with the LMT detachable carry handle?  

No. The higher F marked FSB is for flat top service and designed for use with the detachable carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't using a non "F" marked FSB solve the problem of using an A1 receiver??
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes but...

Not really a good option because its very difficult to install a new FSB on a barrel that is already cut for one. In fact I don't know if it is other then a clamp on type.

The simple solution is a shorter sight post.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but...

Not really a good option because its very difficult to install a new FSB on a barrel that is already cut for one. In fact I don't know if it is other then a clamp on type.

I have heard that about swithing the FSB, yet a number of people around here seem to do it, as well as barrels sold on the EE without a FSB.

Thought of using a shorter sight post as well.  I know that BM provides a longer one, but does anyone sell a shorter version; or do you have to have a satndard one milled down??
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but...

I have heard that about swithing the FSB, yet a number of people around here seem to do it, as well as barrels sold on the EE without a FSB.

Thought of using a shorter sight post as well.  I know that BM provides a longer one, but does anyone sell a shorter version; or do you have to have a satndard one milled down??

Good question on the sight post, I don't know, I've never looked. I know they make taller posts.

I've installed FSB's on barrels that have not been cut for them prior as well. I used a laser to align and a mini mill to drill the holes.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top