Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:56:53 AM EDT
I brought my new AR15 to the range yesterday and shot around 170 rounds.  I cleaned the gun last night and the barrel seemed to clean very quickly.  First I ran 2 patches soaked with tetra gun copper solvent and let it soak for about 30 minutes.  I then ran 2 dry patches through it and the first one came out black and the other one gray.  I then ran 2 patches of shooters choice bore cleaner and wire brushed it 3 times.  I then ran 2 dry patches and the first one came out black and the second one gray again.  Then I ran 2 patches of clp through the barrel and let it sit for about 30 minutes again.  I then ran 2 dry patches through it again and they came out pretty clean.  I outiled the barrel again with clp and let it sit overnight, today I ran a dry patch through it and it was clean.  From everything I've read it sounds like the barrels are usually a pain to clean but  this wasn't bad.   I'm only used to cleaning handguns so I thought with the extra powder this would be tough to clean.  The ammunition used was 120 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of black hills remanufactured.  The AR15 is a DPMS APA4 with the chrome moly barrel.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds about normal.

If you look real good down the barrel you might be able to find a few spots where the barrel did not come clean.

I can't see then on 22 cal bores only 30 cal bores, Only time I try to remove these patches is when My rifle will sit for a few months untill the CMP matches start up again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback.  I looked down the barrel and it looked clean but it's so tight it's hard to really tell.  With any luck it'll be this easy next time.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
SHOOTER'S CHALLENGE!hyellow LeadAway patch thru the bore! hock.gif

You won't BELIEVE how much fouling you get out of your barrel!!!!! I spend a half hour scrubbing, wire brushing, wiping, etc. etc. JUST on the bore... then ran a yellow Lead Away patch down the bore. I was horrified! Looked like I'd cleaned a chimney with it. Ran about 15-20 yellow patches down the bore before I was merely dissatisfied.

Point is, if you REALLY want a clean bore, get the yellow patches and finish up your cleanup with those. Finally, finish with a dry patch (if you are in a dry climate, like New Mexico) or an oily patch (if you are in a damper place, like California) or (sarcasm mode ON) an oil bath if you live in western Oregon or Hawaii (sarcasm mode OFF).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
(sarcasm mode ON) an oil bath if you live in western Oregon or Hawaii (sarcasm mode OFF).

Hey!!! it only rains on days ending in "y"...
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top