Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 3:53:07 PM EDT
I just recieved a set of triangular handguards and an A1 pisol grip. My SP1 had round handguards for some reason, and an aftermarket pistol grip.

Exactly how do I remove and replace the handguards?

What is he process for replacing the pisol grip? Isn't  there a spring involved with the pisol grip?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of handguard cap do you have?  Is it round or triangular?  If it's triangular, you just pull down on the delta ring and remove the existing handguards and replace with the triangular.

The grip will have a screw inside of the grip.  Simply remove the screw.  There is the selector detent spring in the grip.  Just make sure the selector detent doesn't fall out of the receiver, swap the spring to the new grip and screw it in.

ETA:  Go to the link that QUIB provided.  I recommend to newer owners of ARs that you strip the receiver and you'll really get a good look how everything works together.  Things tend to make more sence.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Handguards

1) make sure the gun's unloaded
2) find a pair of Channel Lock pliers, with the blue plastic/rubber lining around the handles
3) stand the gun up on the buttstock, then put the pliers handles around the handguard slip ring to use for leverage
4) apply downward pressure on the slip ring with one hand, and work the handguards out of the slip ring and the front handguard retainer with your other hand.
5) rest for a second
6) apply downward pressure again, this time take one of the A1 handguards and put it in, then the other.

It's a bit easier with another person helping.  

Pistol Grip

1) flip the gun upside down
2) using a flat bladed screwdriver (unless there's a hex/allen bolt in there), unscrew the screw inside the pistol grip
3) slowly remove the pistol grip, being careful not to lose the selector detent/spring
4) if the spring's still in the lower, replace the A1 grip onto the lower, being careful not to squish the spring down at an angle
5) replace the screw and tighten
6) check selector functioning

Again, if this stuff doesn't work, check the tutorials and you might post pics of your setup and ask questions in the Build It Yourself forum.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I was able to get the handguard and pistol grip installedhe
I'll be sure to take some pics in a little while. I will post the pics later tonight
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll be sure to take some pics in a little while. I will post the pics later tonight

Please do...we'll still be around.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
BIG, BIG Improvement!

+1...

- AG
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle, that looks much better...thanks for posting the pics, and welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks much better.

Congrats on a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Ahhhh... looks great!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#11]
A 100% improvement!  And a happy SP1!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Dressed for success !
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys,

Thanks for all of the compliments! his
It sort of reminds me of having a factory correct original 1963 Vette, or any vintage muscle car, in all original condition versus one that's been modded with things like aftermarket wheels, radio, changes to the engine compartment, etc.

Everyone loves the classics in original condition
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Now we're talking!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, you really improved that.

Those previous aftermarket A2-wannabe handguards and pistol grip quite possibly are the ugliest things I've ever seen.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#16]
The correct clothing makes all of the difference. Nice Gun!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top