Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 9:31:11 PM EDT
I handled a NIB AR today with High Standard's name stamped right on the lower and printed on the box. Finish was on par with anything else, but fit between the two halves of the handguard was poor.

Does anyone here have one and what are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
you would think with a name like that it would be a good product
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to know myself. I saw a few at the local gunstore but haven't been able to find much info about them on the net.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the info I got from my gundealer. He's usually pretty knowledgable, but don't quote me on this.

Highstandard use to be armscorp, which bought out rock island armory. Armscorp has put out a couple of home defense shotguns and some decent 1911 knockoffs.

I  don't know why they changed their name to highstandard but it's still the same company, and theyare building weapons with rock islands old equipment and specs.

Highstandard is not to be confused with "highpoint" the maker of the ugliest and most worthless pistols on earth.

Again, I'm not 100% sure if all this is true, but who knows.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing about them on the web site http://www.highstandard.com/
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
For some reason I am thinking that Colt subbed out some M16 contracts to HS years ago before the original HS went tits up. Maybe they did some AR's also while the tooling was up. On that armscorp thing, I think he is talking about some overseas produced handguns under the HS brand (licensed, I'm sure) for name recognition name that were imported by armscorp. I can't prove either of these statements though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I just looked at the serial number of this High Standard rifle.  It's #15! Apparently it was a gift from the owners or someone high in the company up given to the person selling it on consignment.

It's too collectible for me to cannibalize for a homebuilt rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
if the HS rifles were really armscorp we would be pretty lucky judging from what i have seen from armscorp's M14 parts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I seen some HS AR's at a gunshow. they looked alright, but they were priced pretty high IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just looked at the serial number of this High Standard rifle.  It's #15! Apparently it was a gift from the owners or someone high in the company up given to the person selling it on consignment.

So if I were to build an AR and put my name on the side and a low serial # it would be a colletible?

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, High Standard makes ARs. I know this because at the last Big-Freakin'-Huge gunshow I got to, High Standard had a booth there... Only two items on display were AR-15s.

I handled one of them... 20" A2, nice rifle... couldn't tell it from any of the others once I was behind the sights... But... Frankly, I'd go with a known brand.

I'm also not sure just what barrel it had... Chrome Lined or just Chrome Moly... And not sure about the rifling [1:9 or 1:7]... Also didn't get a look at the guts, so I really don't consider the 15 seconds I took looking at it being enough to say if it's a good rifle or not.

Funny... I don't remember anything about the second AR on the table... All I remember is that it was also an AR and also a High Standard... Might have been an A4... or a carbine... or both... don't remember.

Funny note: I asked the guy what the MSRP was... I don't know who he was, but he acted like someone with rank... Hell, might have been the owner... he just kinda stared blankly... atempted to process my request, had a brain FTF, and said: "I........ don't know............ I honestly don't remember what we sell them for."
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if I were to build an AR and put my name on the side and a low serial # it would be a colletible?

hr

If you'd been making quality guns for more than half a century before getting into the AR game then yes, a rifle with your name on it could be collectible.

Then you can get rich and buy us all cases of ammo!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top